NEW Tire Purchases - Sizes, Deals and Reviews !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Looks like progress to me.

Are those tires 235 85r16??? Appears to be a stock tire size. I like that size for my C20.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
285/75r16
Really??? I like it !!! That's what size I think I've decided to go with for my K20 conversion. I was wanting something in a 33ish as far as height, but I don't care for wide 12.50 tires. That size you're talking about is a 32.8 in, almost a 33inch, and only a little over 11in wide. Certainly better mpg with a narrower tire, less parasitic hp loss and extremely very little lost of traction if any at all vs the 12.5in tire. Oh and they'll fit nicely on the OEM 8 lug white wheel with the dog dish hub caps.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ya, Im just a a few miles north and west of Crescent .

I think our closest tow truck company is over im Guthrie .
Wow, that's a distance. In fact I was North and West of Crescent to do that tire change. It was on a gravel road on an oil rig sight. The guy game me directions off the Stillwater Exit off I-35. Uhhhh NO !!! I can straight up I-44 to Hefner Parkway and straight on out. Hell, had I known I probably could have called you up, had you go change the tire a few miles from you house and mail you or PayPal you a $60 payment.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Really??? I like it !!! That's what size I think I've decided to go with for my K20 conversion. I was wanting something in a 33ish as far as height, but I don't care for wide 12.50 tires. That size you're talking about is a 32.8 in, almost a 33inch, and only a little over 11in wide. Certainly better mpg with a narrower tire, less parasitic hp loss and extremely very little lost of traction if any at all vs the 12.5in tire. Oh and they'll fit nicely on the OEM 8 lug white wheel with the dog dish hub caps.
They are definitely a good size tire for a stock k30. I pulled a set of Yokohama geolander a/t’s off that were the same size(in my avatar). They had really good tread left, but have been sitting on the truck a while.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm prolly gonna get laughed at, and don't really give 2 *****, but gonna at least try some Wally World tires. They seem to have good ratings and I've looked at them on other sites too for more ratings and seem to be fairly good, especially for the money. Even when I see tires I like at tirerack dot com, the shipping kills the deal. If you can find tires you like at Wally World dot com, they'll ship them to the store for FREE. Seems everyone now days charges $20 - $29 for Mount, Balance and Valve Stem. Wally World is only $12 per tire and that includes Lifetime Balance so if you want them balanced again later then it's no charge. I know, it's risky letting a Walmart tire tech touch your vehicle, but I'd hope as easy as it is to mount and balance a tire, they can at least do that without a major problem.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nankang-N889-Mudstar-LT285-75R16-122M-OWL-Mud-Terrain-tire/55190164

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I'm prolly gonna get laughed at, and don't really give 2 *****, but gonna at least try some Wally World tires. They seem to have good ratings and I've looked at them on other sites too for more ratings and seem to be fairly good, especially for the money. Even when I see tires I like at tirerack dot com, the shipping kills the deal. If you can find tires you like at Wally World dot com, they'll ship them to the store for FREE. Seems everyone now days charges $20 - $29 for Mount, Balance and Valve Stem. Wally World is only $12 per tire and that includes Lifetime Balance so if you want them balanced again later then it's no charge. I know, it's risky letting a Walmart tire tech touch your vehicle, but I'd hope as easy as it is to mount and balance a tire, they can at least do that without a major problem.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nankang-N889-Mudstar-LT285-75R16-122M-OWL-Mud-Terrain-tire/55190164
Most people don’t realize a lot of the Chinese sounding tire mfg are companies that make name brand tires, but want to be in the market at multiple price points. I’ve owned BFGs that couldn’t be properly balanced by good tire techs, and got returned. I just make sure that the seller with take tires back if I’m not happy...it happens

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You can get good deals on tires at Walmart, but you have to shop for them and DON"T WAIT until you have to have them. I just bought my 2nd set of tires at Walmart 2 weeks ago for the Daily Ricer. They were clearance tires, regular price $98 each + mt, bal, val stem $12ea x 4, EPA disposal fee $2.50 ea x4 , and sales tax. I ended up getting them for $48 each and a grand total, Mt, Bal, Stems and all taxes out the door for $269 for 70,000 mile Bridgestones and they were in stock, and an in store purchase, not an internet purchase. I've got close to 700 miles on them now I think it is and damn, they're nice. Quiet and Smoothe riding. Much better than the hard riding Yohohamas I had bought used with about 40% tread and then had to pay Mt & Bal. Had I known I could have gotten these for $49 each, I'd have passed on the used Jokahomas for $100 mt and balanced.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bridgestone-Ecopia-EP422-PLUS-195-65R15-91H/46694023

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ohh about getting the tire deals at Walmart and why I said, don't wait til you need them. I just happen to look around at prices and for clearence deals when I'm back near the automotive dept. Many times they won't have your size or any clearance tires. Then the time comes they do and be ready to jump on it cuz they usually don't last long. The last set I bought at Wally's was about 8 years ago for my Daily Ricer at that time, and they wee 70,000 mile Uniroyal Tiger Paws. I got them for some ridiculous 70% off, but here's the deal. 1 store had 2 of them, I had to go to 2 other stores and get their last 1 to make a full set of 4. When they get down to 1 or 2 clearance tires and they just want to clear the shelf, you can steal a brand new tire at Wallys. That's where I go if I ever damage a tire and need just 1 or may buy 2 and save the 1 good one for a full size spare. I've never ever paid to much for tires.

I remember I bought a set long ago for my 97 F150 Lariet 4x4 for less than half price. They were Firestone AT Wilderness during that crisis where Explorers were rolling over and killing people due to Firestone AT Wilderness Tires. What people don't know is, those tires that were killing people was T Spec tires put on Brand New Fords, NOT the retail tires. Needless to say, it scared the public and Firestone couldn't sell the damn things so they were discounted deep to get rid of them and they were perfectly good tires. Not a Firestone tire fan, but I wasn't passing that deal up.

****, I guess I'm trashing a build thread and need to clean this bitch up.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I cleaned up your thread @Frankenchevy. I copied our first part of that conversation that was on topic to your thread, then moved the rest out. I decided we could use a New Tire Purchase thread so there you go. Now you just authored a new thread. I stuck it too so it's can easily be found in the Tire and Wheel Category.

Hopefully others will share their good deals and post up reviews.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
After your last tire thread, you bought Hankooks??? SMH....

And just so everyone knows- Bridgestone tires sold at Walmart ARE NOT Bridgestone spec'd tires. They are manufactured to Walmarts requested specifications. They ARE NOT the same as a tire bought at a Bridgestone/Firestone store. You get what you pay for....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
After your last tire thread, you bought Hankooks??? SMH....

And just so everyone knows- Bridgestone tires sold at Walmart ARE NOT Bridgestone spec'd tires. They are manufactured to Walmarts requested specifications. They ARE NOT the same as a tire bought at a Bridgestone/Firestone store. You get what you pay for....

Are Hankooks bad tires? I bought a truck that came with them and they seemed to have been good tires. Good enough that I figured if I found the right deal, I'd buy them when the time came. Though I am fully aware, just because 1 model of tire by a manufacture is good, doesn't mean all their models are good. Kinda why I look at reviews.

So you're saying that Walmart does Tspec tires of sorts? For example, a TSpec tire being what GM, Ford or any other auto manufacture would have a tire manufacture build for the automaker to put on their new cars. Many are not aware there is a difference in a Tspec tire and a Retail tire. Usually where the automaker will have the tire manufacture make a cheaper version of their famous name branded tire, like a Good Year Wrangler AT, or Uniroyal Tiger Paw, Firestone Wilderness AT etc., but the Tspec tire is NOT the same quality of that same famous name brand/model tire if you were to go to a tire retailer and buy that same famous name brand/model.

The best TSpec vs Retail tire example I find is the Firestone Wilderness AT that Ford used on the Explorers that were flipping over and killing people that prompted an immediate recall. Ford blamed Firestone, Firestone blamed Ford. Firestone blamed Ford claiming they asked them to leave so many wraps out of the tire to make it cheaper. Ford blamed Firestone saying you made the tire, your engineers didn't tell us this would make for a dangerous tire and you're the tire expert. All the while they're fighting that out, the retail version of the Firestone Wilderness AT got a bad wrap too and it quit selling even though it was a perfectly safe and fully manufactured tire to Firestone engineered specs. As said above, I gladly bought a set of those RETAIL tires from a major tire retailers for about 60-70% off the retail price.

I don't doubt what you're saying about Walmart spec'ing their own tires for retail sales, but it would seem to me that the tire manufactures should want to give those Walmart retail spec'ed tires a derivative model # or name. That same exact model # and name I got is sold at Tire Rack and Amazon too that I'm aware of and not even sure where else. Hopefully they hold up well. If they don't, I'm still ahead IMO because they are sure to outlast and I know outperform the cheap ass Douglas tires that were just a few dollar cheaper. If the mileage, treadwear, load and speed ratings on the label mean anything then hopefully they'll work out OK. I know that set of Uniroyal Tiger Paws I bought from Walmart years ago were fantastic tires and even exceeded the 70,000 mile rating. Of course I know there are variables in those ratings too. Noway in hell I would have gotten 70,000 miles driving around town on those, but 85-90% of those miles were all highway.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Are Hankooks bad tires?

I can only speak from my experiences and they’ve been great for me. Hankook have been OEM on the S-class Mercedes, 7 and 5-series BMWs, various Toyotas, Nissans and some other vehicles. I don’t think Merc and BMW would have chosen the tire for their flagships willy nilly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeBeepBeep