New Life For Rechargeable Batteries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If you have cordless power tools with seemingly dead batteries and the cost of replacement batteries is almost as much as new tools, you might want to take a moment to read the following. I wrote it a couple of years ago and have been meaning to post it. It works:

Are your cordless tool batteries not holding a charge, or are they just not taking a charge?

What I mean is;

1. When you put them in the charger, do they immediately show as fully charged (or defective)?

2. Or does the charging light stay lit for the normal amount of time (as compared to when they were new)? When the charger shows them to be fully charged you plug them in and they work- but when you use them they only last a minute or so?

If the problem is number 2; charge cycle is normal, the batteries initially work but have ony minimal capacity - skip this, they are dead.

But, on the other hand, if they only appear unable to accept a charge (as indicated by the red/green lights on the charger pack) try the trick below.

I run Dewalt and Ryobi 18 volt cordless tools (and use them a lot) and have not had to buy a new battery for at least 6 years.

Frequently, after a couple of years of use, the battery charger light will indicate that the batteries are either faulty (or show fully charged as soon as the go in the bay - depending on the make). The owners manual will state that the batteries have reached the end of their useful life and need to be replaced.

But I use the method below to keep charging them. They keep right on working and have no apparent reduction in power or service time.

Take a minute to read this - and never buy another rechargeable battery again:

If it is not already unplugged, unplug the charger from the 120 VAC source - and have no battery in the charging bay.

Then, with the charger still unplugged, snap a battery into the bay.

Get ready to plug the cord into the outlet.

Here is the trick - don't just stick it in and leave it there. If you do, it will show bad battery as usual.

Rapidly and repeatedly touch the blades of the plug into the contacts of the outlet (maybe even reverse the plug a couple of times if it is not polarized).

While you do this, watch the state of charge indicator lights. After a few (maybe 20) of these momentary connections you should eventually see the normal charge light illuminate. It may go out quickly at first but keep making that rapid connect/disconnection. Eventually the lights will stick in the charging position and stay there until the battery is recharged to normal capacity.

It has been years since I discovered this trick, but if I recall correctly, it gets easier with time.

At first it seems reluctant to start charging and takes a lot of "jabs" of the plug to get it to accept electron flow from the charger. But after awhile (maybe just because I got better at it) I can start the charging process in less than 5 attempts.

This is not common knowledge and I am sure the tool manufacturers and the battery companies like it that way.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Really cool trick ill have to try that on my Bluepoint drill batteries.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've done this. It works. Just be sure to do the quck Zaps and DO NOT just plug it in. You just want to do a multiple Zap, not plug it in. End of an electrical cord work too. Just zap multiple times.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Buy Makita. :crazy:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Buy Makita. :crazy:

I've got 2 Makita Cordless Screw Guns, one I bought new in 91, the other in 92 and both are still flawless. One did come with 1 battery. The whole reason I bought #2 was a Grand Opening Home Depot special kit. Came with a Poly case, 2 batteries and 1 charger. Of all 3 batteries, 1 of of them is still going strong today 21 years later. The other flaked off about 4-5 years ago.

I've also got a Makita corded Chop Saw and SawZall type Reciprico Saw. Both of those have been used to hell and back and still work like brand new. I've also got a few Milwaukee power tools. Fantastic.

DeWalt stuff, ehhhh yeah it's OK, and get good use of it, but it doesn't last years and years and years like Makita and MIlwaukee doo. For anyone who doesn't know. DeWalk is the Commerical or Pro Grade Black and Decker stuff where Black and Decker is more for the home user.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
I use my Dewalt sawsall several times a day at work form cutting exhaust pipe to cutting the whole front end off of a car and its never let me down and its over 8 years old.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I use my Dewalt sawsall several times a day at work form cutting exhaust pipe to cutting the whole front end off of a car and its never let me down and its over 8 years old.

That reminds me, I've also got a Makita 4in Angle grinder that I can't kill, but I've killed 2 Dewalt 4 1/2 grinders. I've not found a 4.5in Makita when I was shopping for one so I went with DeWalt. I have heard no complaints about DeWalt Cordless tools. Its the DeWalt Corded tools, mainly grinders and drill motors I've experienced myself and heard were not good as most. And I"m not saying DeWalt is bad. It still lasts 5-8 years of hard use, but my Makita **** has been used, abused, negleceted and worked hard and 21 years later the **** is still rockin'. I prefer to buy Milwaukee or DeWalt for being made in USA, but damn, you just can't beat the Makita stuff.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
I hate to say it ive even left mine in the back of the truck in the case and it filled up with water lol still works but yea any electrical item will some day wear out just a matter of how you treat it and how its cared for.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I hate to say it ive even left mine in the back of the truck in the case and it filled up with water lol still works but yea any electrical item will some day wear out just a matter of how you treat it and how its cared for.

My oldest Makita screw gun I bought new in 91, it has the KEYED chuck. Not the junky ass Keyless Chucks. I dropped that bitch off the top of a 16 foot ladder and broke the houseing where the thin battery and handle part meet the main motor housing. Totally broke it. It did get it to work and finish the job I was on with about 4 more screws. I started using the Keyless chuck one but kept the old broke one. Called Makita for some parts, told them blah blah blah, I love this thing, it's Keyless, you can't buy keyed chuck anymore and they said they can specially make me one. I said, NO, mine is fine if I can get the housing replaced. I told them of my other Makita tools and that I"m just not willing to give up on my baby, that we've made to much money together and even thought the metal case is all beat to hell and rusted up from use and abuse, it's the charachter and testement to what this gun has been thru, and you can't get metal cases anymore either. He then asked what he could do for me then if I didn't want a Keyed chuck unit made on special order. I said I just want a part #, and cost of the houseing to fix mine. He asked for some #'s off the sticker. I couldn't read some of it since they were worn off. He was able to fill in the blanks and told me to write the #'s down on sticker or paper and tape inside the case cover for future parts ordering. I said OK, so what about the part??? He gave me the part # then asked, how about I just send this out to you since you're such a loyal customer and not wanting to give up on it. SWEET !!! It did take about 10 days to get it but I did indeed get it for FREE and fixed it. That was about 9-10 years ago. Still have it and use it today. It's still my baby.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Ryobi HP 1802M Recall

In a similar theme. This recall is still in effect - or at least it was 2 months ago.

You must be registered for see images attach

I had a HP 1802M drill that came as part of a multi-tool kit. No problems with the trigger catching on fire but the check was shot.

Contacted Ryobi and was told that a new drill would be provided - free and with no shipping charges. I was instructed to put the HP 1802M in a box and on a specific date it would be picked up by Fedex.

It was picked up as promised. Within 10 days a new similar drill was delivered to the house. The new one is model ZRP850. Much better than the original:

You must be registered for see images attach

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Just Fyi, Ryobi makes Craftsman cordless tools. They too will stand behind their products.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising