mounting issues 400 sbc to 350 sbc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tanyourhide

Reaction score
First Name
jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 pickup custom
Engine Size
250 inline 6
I got a 77 k10 suburban. It had a 400 sbc that had broken started mounting holes. The motor mounts on to my turbo 350. I purchased a 350 out of a 79 k10 that was mounted to a 4 speed standard. When I went to mount the new motor it would sit on the motor mounts okay, but left a 1- 2 inch gap between the block and tranny. I'm looking for any answers. Everyone says it should match the same because the blocks are the same dimensions. This is my first motor swap and I'm fairly new to the game. Any help would be more than terrific.
Tan your hide

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
did you pull the bronze bushing out of the crank shaft ( needed for a standard trans ) if not it is in the center of the crank where the flexplate bolts on and will not let the converter slide in to the crank and will hold every thing apart about a inch . if the bushing is still in it you can use a wood brome handel just cut it off about 8 in long and grind it down to go in the bushing snug about a inch then pack the bushing full of axel grease then put your wood tool in the hole and drive it in with a hammer and the grease well push the bushing out may have to put grease in it a few times good luck

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I never realized a pilot bushing would keep a converter snout from fitting into a crank since the pilot bearing is usually deeper into the crank. But worth checking for sure.

The things I'd suggest are the clam shells that are bolted to the block that go over your motor mounts on the frame. I don't think they should be different but maybe if they came from a different model car. You didn't take your motor mounts off the frame and put them in a different set of holes did you? No reason to unless you replacing the motor mounts on the frame.

You mention this is your first motor swap so maybe you're looking at the engine as setting straight up. If you look real close, the motor is designed to lean back a little bit so the intake manifold actually is slopped just a bit for this reason. The intake manifold will look like it's going down hill from front to back so that when the engine is leaning back, the intake is actually level. I'm thinking your just not used to seeing this since you've not done an engine swap before.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
couple of things. are you sure the flexplate is on correctly and are you sure the torque converter hasn't slip out a little? one more thing to check for is the wire harness that crosses over on top of the engine. the block mounting is identical. highdesertranger

tanyourhide

Reaction score
First Name
jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 pickup custom
Engine Size
250 inline 6
The first go around the converter didn't get put in all the way. I totally thought that's what it was. Wrong

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You haven't got this figured out yet? When you do, let us know what was up.

tanyourhide

Reaction score
First Name
jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 pickup custom
Engine Size
250 inline 6
figured out

So I didn't take out the pilot bearing. Yesterday I got a tool from the auto store to remove it. No dice. It was to big to slide in the hole. Found a video showing how to use bread to get it out. I packed bread in the hole and pounded it in with 3/8" drive extension. Kept do in it until came out, it took 1-2 slices of bread. So I got the bearing out. Then had some trouble with mounting on the motor mounts after it mated to the tranny. Found that the piece going over the rubber center of Mount was warped because I let the motor rest in the compartment for two weeks until I rented another lift. So got some new mounts, fought a little more now it's mounted. Now I can spend a little time each night putting the rest back together.

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
good job Jesse:cheers: I have seen pilot bearings mess up some dame good mechanics including me . now you can get her running and enjoy your burb again

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hmmm, never heard of using bread before, I've always used grease and they pop right out, guess anything that will put pressure behind the bearing would work..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've just never heard of a pilot bearing keeping a converter from mounting. :shrug:

If you already had the engine sitting in the truck you could have used a block of wood on a floor jack instead of renting a hoist again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm