SBC 350 motor mounts orientation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
‘83 K5: I’m in the final stages of the major restoration and am prepping for new SBC crate 350 engine install. I purchased new motor mounts and inserts but I don’t remember what the orientation was of the old worn out mounts before I pulled them off. A few questions for y’all! How are the polyurethane insert tabs that engage with the engine bracket oriented, with the outside tabs (tangs) down, inside tabs up, or does it matter? Secondly, why is the engine weight supported by both the bolt that goes through the insert and the tabs when it seems as though it would only require the bolt through the insert to absorb the vibration? Basically, what’s the point of the tabs? Also, since the motor mount holes in the frame are slotted to allow fore and aft movement of the mounts, should I keep these bolts loose for fore and aft alignment of the engine during installation? Lastly, the original engine brackets were a little worn where the insert tabs were making what I believe to be irregular contact location contact due to extremely worn rubber inserts. Since, I couldn’t find new brackets (cleaned and painted the old brackets), I did a little grinding of the old brackets so that the tabs would sit where I think they need to be sitting in the corners of the brackets and for the bolt to slide through the without binding. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8864.png
    IMG_8864.png
    208.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8863.jpeg
    IMG_8863.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8865.jpeg
    IMG_8865.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 38

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The tabs are just locators to help with engine install. The engine simply sets down in and rests on the tabs, at which point the bolts will slide right in because the holes are then lined up.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't have pictures of poly mounts in a truck, but I do have pictures of when I did them in my Camaro. Should be very similar, if not identical.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe