Mickey Thompson SR's...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GothRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanna tub my truck and had decided on the Mickey SR's since I want to be able to drive year round. I saw that Coggedbelt was having issues in rain, but those tires are suposed to work fine in water. I emailed Mickey Thompsons tech and they replied- "The S/R will do fine in the rain as that is an all out street tire not a drag tire so it can handle rain.".

I understand its a wide ass tire and normally that equals hydroplaning but these are suposedly designed for wet/dry driving.

I'm not totally convinced yet and don't want to shoot my *** tubbing the truck and buying wheels & tires only to have to sell it 'cause it gets squirrly every time it rains. So anyone have any real world reviews of these tires? I'm tired of hearing how they look or how they don't hook up like a slick...how are they on the street and in wet weather?

Please don't make me slap 18's & 20's on it...

-John

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Do you have a picture of them? I think that's what my dad was running on his '78 Camaro before he sold it to build the nova.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Gothrod, as many hot rods or trucks, I've worked on or owned, which is quit a few, anything over a bout a 12" wide tire you are going to have a little hydroplaning problem, just because it is wide foot print, and not a deep tread like a 4WD tire. My buddy has a 55 Chevy hardtop, and it has like 16" wide tires and it don't do bad in the rain, but still it can get a little hairy some times. He runs the Sportsman series tires, and he's one of those guys that has more money than brains, if he puts a set of tire on any of his cars and they don't preform like he thinks they should he'll go buy something different. I don't know if this helped you at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus