MAP sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CknightK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So ive been having some issues with my torque converter... (i think)

The truck shifts just perfect all the way through all the gears but when Im in overdrive and I coast down to about 25mph the truck remains in overdrive. As soon as I tap the brakes the torque converter dis-engages, or whenever I tap the throttle the converter dis-engages and it downshifts. The other day I decided to see if it would dis-engage without me hitting the brakes, or the throttle and it actually killed the motor, so I punched the gas and sure enough it dis-engaged and the truck started back up. Now I know that the torque converter has a few different sensors that tell it when to engage in full lock, and when to dis-engage. I know my TPS is working because when I hit the gas it dis-engages, and I know the sensor linked to the brake petal is working so I guess the only other sensor it could be is the MAP sensor, which I guess detects like RPM, and engine load and tells the converter what to do.. does anybody have any ideas as to where I would look to find the MAP sensor?? Or any other thoughts on what my issue could be? This issue has been putting extra load on my engine and I have been throwing knock sensor codes, So I need to fix it!!!

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
What does your trany fluid lokk like? Red?

On map sensor try looking for it on the firewall or inner fender wall.

Last edited:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
the map sensor should be on your intake, on the ps in the back by the dist. I don't think I've seen one on the firewall before.

now the "tip-in" switch is on the firewall it's vac. to electric. it goes to the transmission, but the MAP is on the intake.

I thought I had read online about the TCC causing styalling at a stop or something.

Last edited:

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Were is HRPC he is a trans Goo Roo

CknightK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My ATF is fine, but I dont think it has anything to do with the tranny anyway..

I have heard that about the TCC as well, but I dont know what a TCC is! help a bro out

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
My ATF is fine, but I dont think it has anything to do with the tranny anyway..

I have heard that about the TCC as well, but I dont know what a TCC is! help a bro out

TCC = torque converter clutch

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I thought TCC meant for something else.

It's the switch on the side of the transmission. DS behind the shift linkage.

Last edited:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
hmm I really have no clue. I was thinking you know torque convertor clutch and it's on the side of the trans. I dunno. I know almost nothing about the od and lockup crap. I throw everyone of them I get away. Actually sold the last 700 I got for $50.

CknightK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
hmm I really have no clue. I was thinking you know torque convertor clutch and it's on the side of the trans. I dunno. I know almost nothing about the od and lockup crap. I throw everyone of them I get away. Actually sold the last 700 I got for $50.

I like 700r's. Once they have a good shift kit in them there a pretty decent tranny.

Justins83'

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I like 700r4's that have shift kits too.Gas mileage is the bomb with a 700r4.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Jeeze, I would unplug that until ya fix it or find the problem bro.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I just found this thread. Had it been labeled 700r4 or Trans issue, It woulda hit my radar and I'da been here. I not thinking its any of the above. I'm think hung vavle in vavle body. Could be though. What year is this truck and is it stock? Or what isn't stock about it that would affect the trans? I'll look at some stuff. Don't be testing it anymore or you'll ruin your TCC and need a converter. Hopefully you don't already. So you know you can kick the TCC off by hitting the gas or brake pedal so be sure to be doing that and not leave it engaged. I'm not thinking its a MAP sensor. MAP to my knowledge is Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor, which adjusts A/F ratio according to certain conditions sorta like altitudes etc. And your TV cable isn't stuck out either right? Its back and forth freely with the throttle linkage?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
not around here 700r4's suck, non of them have any balls(never had a shift kit) and OD is usless around here too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
700r4's CAN BE good transmissions with some massaging. Stock out of the box, forget it. Without doing alot or tearing into one, the first thing anyone should do, is replace and upgrade to the Corvette Servo. Even a cave man can do that. Then as CK mentioned a shift kit does make all the differance in the world. Then on a rebuild there are several things you can do to make them stronger, most commone being upgrade to the Beast sunshell since that is the most common broken hard part, or the newer GM Roller Sunshell which is stronger and used in the 4L65-E and is backwards compatible to the 700r4 and 4L60-E. Other mods to clutch packs and servos can be done too, and for heavy high performance you sleeve the input drum or you can split it open like a banana. The sleeve holds all that together. You're talking very high rpm and horsepower before you should need that though. Although ,I do it to my own for any purpose, cuz I know how.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedwhisky