TH400 Temp Sensor Location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
Have the truck mobile again after sitting since 2005. The last fluid to replace in it, is the transmission. Wanted to wait until after all was circulated good and the new radiator installed.
It sounds like the consensus for best location for a transmission temp sensor is in the side of sump pan itself? Curious if anyone has pics of where they located or what they did with theirs?
The truck will be seeing lots of off-road and potential towing use, so will also look to have some sort of deflector for gravel mounted as well.

dragstews

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Body 1954, frame 1975
Truck Model
R-100
Engine Size
406 ci SBC
I used a B&M temp gauge on my truck .. Had it mounted under the dash .. Running a TH 400 trans ..
The sensor was installed on the out line to the cooler just a inch or two from the trans case ...
Worked really good ..

Recently took it off cause I had no further need for it .
Changed out the trans that has a temp sensor built in ..

You must be registered for see images attach

Readout is built into the stand alone controller's display ..

It's mounted inside the grove box .. When a check on trans temp is needed, must open the door ..

Most likely there won't be much need to look ..

Kind of doubled up on the coolers ..

Last edited:

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
Thanks @dragstews! Looks like a nice set up you have there.
I am thinking that monitoring the trans operating temp is more important for me than what the outlet temp is at this time. It is currently only plumbed to the new 4 core radiator for cooling. Hoping that knowing where it is now while pulling, will let me know what I need to add down the road for additional cooling for my set up.
Have gotten used to monitoring the trans temp on my '08 while doing decent pulls. Will miss that option with this truck if it isn't there.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Diaghram 7 is backwards of how a transmission cooler should be plumbed. It should go to the auxiliary cooler than through the radiator cooler then back to the transmission. Transmission fluid gets to and stays at operating temperature that way. You don't want cold transmission fluid,and if your radiator has enough temp,to overheat your transmission fluid,you have bigger problems than trying to cool your transmission.

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
Makes sense @Ricko1966. The serpentine set up on my truck does have a clutch fan on it. Will be interesting to see what the trans fluid temp returns at from the 4 core rad up here in the north. It's a big reason for me wanting to monitor it before adding anything additional. Seems like the norm is to just add one if a towing package is added in most parts.

Kind of off topic, but overheating hydraulics in off highway equipment, is not uncommon up here when the temps drop below -20C. The oil freezes in the cooler and the pressure bypass valves open. Cooling circulation is cut off and high temp alarms start going off. A winter front has to be placed in front of the oil coolers to stop that.
Most transmission coolers (exchangers) in those machines are regulated with an engine coolant heat exchanger and it's 190F or so thermostat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS