Longer wheel studs for 1/4" spacers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, the minute I seen the title I thought, Dohhh here we go.... Then seen it was a K10 too. Making even worse on top of worse IMO. Not sure why, I just don't find this spacer ******** as safe. Being a tow truck truck driver, I don't even like many aftermarket wheels. You'ld be surprised how many vehicles get towed with aftermarket wheels because the wheels have trashed all the wheel studs and broke them all off and yes sometimes at 70mph on the freeway.

I'd love to have military wheels on my K10/20 but to do this I have to either use spacers, ORRRRRRR the right thing to do is have the offsets recentered on the wheel, THEN they will be safe to use. Being that expensive, I think I'll have to do without them. Mine and everyone elses safety on the highway is much more important than my "WANT".

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I second that...spacers are BAD news...absolutely a BAD idea. Ditch the spacers and install the correct wheels. There's a reason why you can't find longer studs. In Pennsylvania, you won't pass road inspection with spacers installed. Most reputable tire dealers won't even touch a vehicle once the spacers have been installed for obvious safety liability.

Have you considered wheel adapters?
Not disagreeing with you on the spacers but adapters are just as bad and won't pass PA inspection either. X3 on getting the correct rims.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I've put 149,000 miles on the spacers on my FJ Cruiser, I hope no one tells it their junk lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There's two kinds of spacers. The kind that slide on and the kind that bolt on. The slide on kind are generally a bad idea on the front. A high quality steel shim is OK on the rear. The bolt-on kind are generally OK, but it's still an opinionated subject. Quality, usage and installation have a lot to do with it.

So what's the specs on these wheels in question? Sounds like they have a fairly thick hub and the wrong backspacing for an older truck.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I've put 149,000 miles on the spacers on my FJ Cruiser, I hope no one tells it their junk lol

Front or back, how thick???.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Yep, how thick matters alot too. I just know I won't be running 37 in Military rims and tires on my K10/20. I have found the wheels that have already been recentered for our trucks, but IIRC, they're $175 per wheel. For that kind of cash, I think I could find something else pretty nice that I can live with. And I don't mind the stock OEM wheels with the dogdish hubcaps either, so that's probably what I'm going with since the budget it ZERO and I have to use what I have in stock.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Front or back, how thick???.

Both, 1.5" thick. They are Spidertrax brand, hub centric, good quality.

There are alot of factors to spacers, I wouldn't make a blanket statement about them.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Both, 1.5" thick. They are Spidertrax brand, hub centric, good quality.

There are alot of factors to spacers, I wouldn't make a blanket statement about them.
They gotta be adapters, 1.5" is quite thick for spacers???..

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Oh ok, they're bolt on I was wondering if they were sliders, would be too thick for sliders..
Yeah, and I agree, sliders, or slip on, are junk.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah, and I agree, sliders, or slip on, are junk.

Yep, buddy of mine learned that the hard way...

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Bolt on= adapters.....slip on= spacers. The terminology makes the difference bewteen getting flamed or not. The slip on spacers that I have seen are usually 1/4" thick max. Hell...I saw some clown double stack those damn spacers on a 4 wheel drive. He was lucky the wheel studs didn't shear off.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
yep I didn't realize you were using the bolt on ones. when people say spacers I think of those silly spacers they sell on the junk aisle at the parts store. highdesertranger

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
yep I didn't realize you were using the bolt on ones. when people say spacers I think of those silly spacers they sell on the junk aisle at the parts store. highdesertranger
The OP is using those lol. I'm fairly certain anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk