Longer wheel studs for 1/4" spacers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyGuy5

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Installed new Ion wheels on my 85 k10. They require 1/4" spacers so the tie rod ends don't hit the inside of the wheel. Without the spacers, I'm getting the bare minimum of 6 turns on my lugs. With the extra 1/4" spacers, I can barely even start the lug on the stud.

Since the stock studs are 1.75", looks like I'd need to replace them with at least a 2" stud, preferably 2.125" or 2.25". Where can I find these longer studs with a 7/16-20 thread, and 5.65 knurl??? Auto parts stores don't have them, and I cannot find aftermarket anywhere.

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
ARP? They would sell studs by ~size~, not necessarily by application, methinks.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Which parts stores have you tried? They're not all equal. Years ago, when I had a set of hurricanes on a k10, I needed a longer stud for the shanked lugnuts. Didn't have any trouble getting them from the local Auto Value store. Of course, that's the old school kind of parts store where everyone working there has been there forever, and they all know their ****.

ChevyGuy5

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I tried Pep Boys and Autozone. Not that I'm the expert either, but I did go through all the drawers with the parts person.

If they were organized by knurl or by thread, it would help. It was just sifting through a bunch of unorganized parts.

ChevyGuy5

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I find it hard to believe that nobody has added 1/4" spacers. There are no articles anywhere.
Adding hub-centric spacers means that I'd have to go at least 1", when all I need is 1/4.

ChevyGuy5

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for your help. I wonder if .005" makes a difference when pressing these in?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
.005 is roughly a hair. A brown one maybe.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
.005 is roughly a hair. A brown one maybe.
Yep, it'll be tighter, but depending on how many studs have been pressed in there, it may be an improvement.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I tried Pep Boys and Autozone. Not that I'm the expert either, but I did go through all the drawers with the parts person.

If they were organized by knurl or by thread, it would help. It was just sifting through a bunch of unorganized parts.

There's your problem. you need to go to the old run down store with dusty shelves, and a bunch of guys who remember when the peanut farmer was in the white house.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
There's your problem. you need to go to the old run down store with dusty shelves, and a bunch of guys who remember when the peanut farmer was in the white house.
Like when Big A Auto parts was around. Good litmus test for a parts store if the know what a peanut plug is your on the right path.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
you'll know you found one if they still have books on the counter.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
so much wrong with this thread. first improper rims, then to fix the rims not fitting correctly mickey mouse spacers. then to keep the wrong rims and dubious spacers they want to change the lugs. get correct rims and throw the spacers in the trash. highdesertranger

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I second that...spacers are BAD news...absolutely a BAD idea. Ditch the spacers and install the correct wheels. There's a reason why you can't find longer studs. In Pennsylvania, you won't pass road inspection with spacers installed. Most reputable tire dealers won't even touch a vehicle once the spacers have been installed for obvious safety liability.

Have you considered wheel adapters?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeBeepBeep