Lifted my truck today but have a problem is this right ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I'm not saying the angle is good but that's pretty typical of a big lift (8"+) spring.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm not saying the angle is good but that's pretty typical of a big lift (8"+) spring.

But what about when it droops? Looks like it could potentially pop right back in reverse. Or do you think there's not much droop to speak of?

I'm sure it would ride better if the hanger was moved up the frame and longer shackles were used.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Moving the hanger and longer shackles would definitely improve the ride and functionality of the springs.

The springs probably won't have much droop. As for the shackle locking again, most trucks running that kind of lift wont being doing the kind of wheeling that will completely unload the springs.

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
Yea the engines in the truck . An I shook it and jumped on it and did what I could to see if they would pop back in place I'm letting them settle tonight and tomorrow and see where there at . The truck will be used for mudding and what not but not any seriuos rock crawling for sure .

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The shackle angle looks pretty bad right now... I thought the motor was in this thing?

Even with a motor, as big as that spring pack is, I'm not so sure that will be enough. Still might about an inch short on the spring. :shrug: Aren't the shackles supposed to operate AWAY from each other instead of INTO each other? I'd think the shackle should be about straight down, or Away from the center of the spring?

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Even with a motor, as big as that spring pack is, I'm not so sure that will be enough. Still might about an inch short on the spring. :shrug: Aren't the shackles supposed to operate AWAY from each other instead of INTO each other? I'd think the shackle should be about straight down, or Away from the center of the spring?

Ideally yes, the shackle should be vertical or rearward of center. The problem is, unless otherwise specified, spring manufacturers don't lengthen the main leaf to compensate for the arch. The OE spring length is measured straight across using basically a flat spring. When building springs they make the top leaf to spec and then arch it for whatever size it's supposed to be, this causes the straight across eye to eye distance to shorten.

Take a look at other big lift trucks, most end up with a similar shackle angle (especially 10"-12" lift).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade