HRPC come in.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sorry, DRAC Unit, as in the Speedo that's DRAC supported. It's bigger and needs a bigger cut out to fit in the cluster housing. I'll go edit.
SOOOoooo,I have two complete clusters and harnesses from the 90 era suburbans and I`m planning on instilling them into the dash of an 83 and also a 79 chevy pickups,If I am using the electronic dash unit,complete with guages,speedo and all from them Suburbans they then will fit into the hole of the older pickups ??? I thought they would.LOL along with the TBI harnesses.
Dang,sometimes I juz do`nt know how to make the words flow to be unnerstandable.LOL

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
SOOOoooo,I have two complete clusters and harnesses from the 90 era suburbans and I`m planning on instilling them into the dash of an 83 and also a 79 chevy pickups,If I am using the electronic dash unit,complete with guages,speedo and all from them Suburbans they then will fit into the hole of the older pickups ??? I thought they would.LOL along with the TBI harnesses.
Dang,sometimes I juz do`nt know how to make the words flow to be unnerstandable.LOL

Yes they will

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Trans gonna cost between $1500-1800 depending on what it needs.

That hurt. But im supposed to call back wednesday and see if its done or not

Is that including the Converter too??? That's not bad at all. Consider the cost of a well built 700r4 and then add some upgrades? Or check PATC or Monster for a well built 700r4. About the same or more. Difference is, this 4L80-E will last 2x or more, and tolerate more abuse. You should still be coming up under $3000. And really, if the guy is honest, a 4L80-E shouldn't need much other than it's kit, and a few bushings. They're not commonly known to break hard parts. Maybe a sprag and usually about it.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Is that including the Converter too??? That's not bad at all. Consider the cost of a well built 700r4 and then add some upgrades? Or check PATC or Monster for a well built 700r4. About the same or more. Difference is, this 4L80-E will last 2x or more, and tolerate more abuse. You should still be coming up under $3000. And really, if the guy is honest, a 4L80-E shouldn't need much other than it's kit, and a few bushings. They're not commonly known to break hard parts. Maybe a sprag and usually about it.

This is with the converter. He said its a basic kit and should be on the low end of his price quote

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
That's easy and kinda neat too. I think driving a truck with a manual/automatic operated by the stock column shift would be a pain in the ass.

Guy I used to work with had a sweet 67? fastback stang with a 351 Windsor in it and a manual valve body. I loved it! That thing would smoke the tires for a full city block. Anyways.....I don't think the column would bother me. To each his own though.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This is with the converter. He said its a basic kit and should be on the low end of his price quote

That's a good deal then. Converter included, and I agree, it SHOULD be on the low end of his quote, where a 700r4 usually comes in on the high side of quote cuz **** is usually all broke up inside them. And this is including the Core charge too? I don't think you can complain a bit on that deal brah. I'd be tickled with that deal.
So even if it's $1800, $700 for controller, and $200-$300 or so for other misc like the speedo conversion and fluid, $2800 or less, and that's exactly about where I figured come in at, UNDER $3000. But, I have a feeling closer to $2600ish.

Think of the gas and wear and tear you'll be saving. I have a feeling, 3-4mpg better on the hwy empty, I doubt any better city though.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Guy I used to work with had a sweet 67? fastback stang with a 351 Windsor in it and a manual valve body. I loved it! That thing would smoke the tires for a full city block. Anyways.....I don't think the column would bother me. To each his own though.

de hampster makes an appearance. Nice to see you buddy. :wave:

But how come you have to come barging in bringing up the dirty 4 letter word???

Column shift sucks balls when you have to shift IMO. I still do it in the K1500 cuz I had the wrong Detent pressure cable on the Th350 in it and haven't changed it yet. And of all reasons, SAFETY, not to trash your trans. You bump it into R going to reach for the AC controls in one of these trucks, you're Jacked. Ask me how I know. Not common, but it can happen. I've done it. Thank god no shift kit in the truck. This was in a 81 C10 I had long ago BTW.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
That's a good deal then. Converter included, and I agree, it SHOULD be on the low end of his quote, where a 700r4 usually comes in on the high side of quote cuz **** is usually all broke up inside them. And this is including the Core charge too? I don't think you can complain a bit on that deal brah. I'd be tickled with that deal.
So even if it's $1800, $700 for controller, and $200-$300 or so for other misc like the speedo conversion and fluid, $2800 or less, and that's exactly about where I figured come in at, UNDER $3000. But, I have a feeling closer to $2600ish.

Think of the gas and wear and tear you'll be saving. I have a feeling, 3-4mpg better on the hwy empty, I doubt any better city though.
Darn good deal...mine was $1230 back in 2011 with new converter....wish i went 4l80

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Darn good deal...mine was $1230 back in 2011 with new converter....wish i went 4l80

If I would have known back then,when I had to rebuild My 700,I now would have gone with the 4L80e TRANSMISSION,UNLESS THEY MAKE A 6 OR A 8.LOL

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Jim, Tell Nick how many 700r4's and how often you've replaced them in your Burb. Start adding it up for the last 5-6 years and what do you think your cost has been, and you're weren't towing a boat.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Jim, Tell Nick how many 700r4's and how often you've replaced them in your Burb. Start adding it up for the last 5-6 years and what do you think your cost has been, and you're weren't towing a boat.
since i bought it in 2000, 4(looking at my paperwork, not 6 like I thought)... first one was replaced in 2001 with an 88 K case rebuild from PATC, second, 3 years later, with a PATC Raptor stage 1, That lasted 2 years, then a local rebuild, then 4 years later, the last rebuild...thanksgiving weekend that started pissing fluid 125 miles short of my inlaws....whole family, including dogs over 200 miles away from home. Fa
This was the last straw for me....Done with it.
My Magnum is paid off now, and some other debts have been taken care of, and even thoug I hate payments, we have started saving a down payment for a new crew cab 1/2 ton at the end of the year.
Marty, There is A 6l80.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
since i bought it in 2000, 4(looking at my paperwork, not 6 like I thought)... first one was replaced in 2001 with an 88 K case rebuild from PATC, second, 3 years later, with a PATC Raptor stage 1, That lasted 2 years, then a local rebuild, then 4 years later, the last rebuild...thanksgiving weekend that started pissing fluid 125 miles short of my inlaws....whole family, including dogs over 200 miles away from home. Fa
This was the last straw for me....Done with it.
My Magnum is paid off now, and some other debts have been taken care of, and even thoug I hate payments, we have started saving a down payment for a new crew cab 1/2 ton at the end of the year.
Marty, There is A 6l80.

So basically in the last 5 1/2 - 6 years, you've done 2 transmissions, and it's ready for the 3rd or at least a repair of some sort so you can easily say you've spent over $3000, and you didn't tow a Pontoon boat. I certainly think Nick is making the right choice.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
So basically in the last 5 1/2 - 6 years, you've done 2 transmissions, and it's ready for the 3rd or at least a repair of some sort so you can easily say you've spent over $3000, and you didn't tow a Pontoon boat. I certainly think Nick is making the right choice.

Waaayyyyy over 3 k....maybe double. the one thats in there is #4.
When I was up there last month, I drove it, and there is more damage than I thought. Trans still reads full of fluid. stays in 1st, revvs up, then you have to goose it.....I think its skipping 2 nd to 3rd, and no 4 th. Just found out that TCI made a 6 speed out of a 4l80. $$$$$!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Waaayyyyy over 3 k....maybe double. the one thats in there is #4.
When I was up there last month, I drove it, and there is more damage than I thought. Trans still reads full of fluid. stays in 1st, revvs up, then you have to goose it.....I think its skipping 2 nd to 3rd, and no 4 th. Just found out that TCI made a 6 speed out of a 4l80. $$$$$!

Skipping 2nd??? Starting to sound possibly like a broken SunShell. Oh and no 4th too??? Probably is a broken Sun Shell. First you lose 2nd, then 4th, and eventually when it's 100% sheered off and broken, you lose Reverse too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000