HRPC come in.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well I caller the trans shop and the old mans echos what yall said. Thats a lot of truck for a 700 and he said if I saw the shafts id understand.

He recommended a 4l80 as did yall. He says in the morning he will check out back and see what cores he has.

I didnt ask but if one has to be rebuilt what kind of money are we talking? Can yall help me thru the process of doing the 4l80e with computer and carb? I can do a write up if thats the case.

Im wondering if I can do this whole ordeal for $3k?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's a bit comforting to know, at least the guy is going to shoot you straight. If he don't take your head off on the 4L80-E core, and the computer by US Shift that was pointed out for $600 and no other hidden expenses to the computer other than the TPS Carb switch, then I'd say you should be able to get it done for less than $3K.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Great! Its a go then providing I can get a reasonable price on a 4l80e

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Well I caller the trans shop and the old mans echos what yall said. Thats a lot of truck for a 700 and he said if I saw the shafts id understand.

He recommended a 4l80 as did yall. He says in the morning he will check out back and see what cores he has.

I didnt ask but if one has to be rebuilt what kind of money are we talking? Can yall help me thru the process of doing the 4l80e with computer and carb? I can do a write up if thats the case.

Im wondering if I can do this whole ordeal for $3k?

I have A 94-95 ecm to donate to the cause....HR, can you compair what the 80 needs electronic wise, compaired to the 60, or is it pretty much the same, i dont remember?
Also, if someone knows of a gmt 400 with a 80 that we can get a harness from for the plugs, either me, or Retro , if he wants, can go through and mod it to get rid of the stuff thats not needed.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have A 94-95 ecm to donate to the cause....HR, can you compair what the 80 needs electronic wise, compaired to the 60, or is it pretty much the same, i dont remember?
Also, if someone knows of a gmt 400 with a 80 that we can get a harness from for the plugs, either me, or Retro , if he wants, can go through and mod it to get rid of the stuff thats not needed.

OLP would be better for that since he's done 4L60-E swaps to 4L80-E and also knows the wiring pinout. There is 2 or 3 OE wires that you switch pins with IIRC.

Another advantage to the US Shift system, if it's anything like other systems I've seen, it's very user tuneable without needing programed. The ECM you're talking about would have to be programed each time he wanted a tuning change.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
OLP would be better for that since he's done 4L60-E swaps to 4L80-E and also knows the wiring pinout. There is 2 or 3 OE wires that you switch pins with IIRC.

Another advantage to the US Shift system, if it's anything like other systems I've seen, it's very user tuneable without needing programed. The ECM you're talking about would have to be programed each time he wanted a tuning change.

Thats true...well, lets see which route he is going, then we can figure it out.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well I think I should do the controller? Ill contact that link and see if its indeed what all they say it is. Also what is the option of doing a manual valve body? What does that mean?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Well I think I should do the controller? Ill contact that link and see if its indeed what all they say it is. Also what is the option of doing a manual valve body? What does that mean?

You ever driven a manual shift bug with an auto clutch?

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ummm

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

That's easy and kinda neat too. I think driving a truck with a manual/automatic operated by the stock column shift would be a pain in the ass.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I would move it to the trans tunnel at that point...Really not like the bug...bad example. you shift it from the column- you are the trans controller.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

I think I would prefer the controller over the ECM method IF It wouldn't hurt me to bad financially. Meaning if i could afford it, even though the ECM method Jim suggests is a way to cheap out. If the controller is tuner friendly like I've seen, you can make your own adjustments as far as shift points, downshift points, firmer shifts, softer shifts etc. That's the way I understand them to work anyway.

Those were short lived even for VW. Called Auto Stick or Auto StickShift IIRC, in the late 60's and maybe into the early 70's.

As I explained above. FULL MANUAL VALVE BODY, means EXACTLY that. The trans shifing is 100% done by you. Up shifting and down shifting. Every single thing that trans does, will be done by YOU MANUALY with the gear shift lever.

That's easy and kinda neat too. I think driving a truck with a manual/automatic operated by the stock column shift would be a pain in the ass.

It's actually badass with a B&M Ratchet Floor Shifter.

I would move it to the trans tunnel at that point...Really not like the bug...bad example. you shift it from the column- you are the trans controller.

I think this is what you are saying too, Move to a floor shifter? The only choice I'd consider for a FULL MANUAL Valve body, is a B&M or other type Ratchet Shifter. It's not only fun, but for safety reasons. You don't want to actually miss shift, or bump the shifter stick Accidently into Reverse. Cuz in a Full Manual, As said, the trans will ONLY do EXACTLY what you tell it to do. If your're doing 110mph, and put it in reverse, there is no safety, it's going into reverse, and 1 or 2 of about 3 things are going to happen. Broken driveshaft, broken trans, and/or blown motor. And maybe even something else, but be assured, 1 thing guarenteed, is MAJOR CARNAGE. So Ratchet Shifter is the for sure way to go. Also with a Full Manual Valve Body, you're guarenteed harsh shifts. You can beef up Accumulator springs to help cushion shifts, but they are still gonig to be firm as hell. Probably even tire chirping firm. For a DD, I just don't think I'd consider the FULL MANUAL option.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well that settles it im doing the controller. Lol thanks for the advice on that

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You can get an optishift controller for the 4l80e for under 600.

http://www.usshift.com/index.shtml

Check that closely son !!! The last time I looked at US Shift who was previously called something else, did that, it was $600 just for the controller, then you have to spend another $300 for this, and another $200 for the harness etc etc., So it was still $1000+. I don't think that's the whole kit if you investigate further. I sure wish though, cuz It would make it worth it. Here's my math...

If it cost's $1300- $1500 per 700r4 and in 2-5 years you'd go through 2 of the 700r4's, then if you can covert to 4L80-E that can last 10 years or more $3000 then why not? So it still may be worthy. I was going to use a full manual 4L80-E with 4.56 gears in a 2wd street strip truck, but I decided I like my 4x4's better and just sold my 4L80-E core for $300.

You are thinking of compushift. Optishift is 425 for the controller. 140 for the wiring harness and the only option I didn't see the first time was a tps for a Holley that's another 85 bucks.

I was caught skimming again up there. I was pretty sure USShift was someone else before, and I was thinking it was Optishift. It is Optishift, and Jason was even pointing that out all along.

I did go look at their site a bit just now, and they do say they've dropped the price to the controller to $425 and a Harness as low as $140. It is the 4L60-E/4L80-E Harness that is $140.
Looks like you'll need the USQ1 and the HPG1 Harness.
http://www.usshift.com/pricing.shtml

Well that settles it im doing the controller. Lol thanks for the advice on that

I think you'll be very pleased with it from the reading I just did look at the site a little bit. You might want to familiarize yourself with some of this info.

http://www.usshift.com/index.shtml

And they suggest you look over the tuning software and the manual before you choose to buy too.

http://www.usshift.com/software.shtml

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I will definetely look over that on my lunch break. I will let yall know this afternoon what the 4l80e will cost me. Im wondering how the speedo cable will adapt to the newer trans...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gord