HRPC come in.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You can get an optishift controller for the 4l80e for under 600.

http://www.usshift.com/index.shtml

Check that closely son !!! The last time I looked at US Shift who was previously called something else, did that, it was $600 just for the controller, then you have to spend another $300 for this, and another $200 for the harness etc etc., So it was still $1000+. I don't think that's the whole kit if you investigate further. I sure wish though, cuz It would make it worth it. Here's my math...

If it cost's $1300- $1500 per 700r4 and in 2-5 years you'd go through 2 of the 700r4's, then if you can covert to 4L80-E that can last 10 years or more $3000 then why not? So it still may be worthy. I was going to use a full manual 4L80-E with 4.56 gears in a 2wd street strip truck, but I decided I like my 4x4's better and just sold my 4L80-E core for $300.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Check that closely son !!! The last time I looked at US Shift who was previously called something else, did that, it was $600 just for the controller, then you have to spend another $300 for this, and another $200 for the harness etc etc., So it was still $1000+. I don't think that's the whole kit if you investigate further. I sure wish though, cuz It would make it worth it. Here's my math...

If it cost's $1300- $1500 per 700r4 and in 2-5 years you'd go through 2 of the 700r4's, then if you can covert to 4L80-E that can last 10 years or more $3000 then why not? So it still may be worthy. I was going to use a full manual 4L80-E with 4.56 gears in a 2wd street strip truck, but I decided I like my 4x4's better and just sold my 4L80-E core for $300.

You are thinking of compushift. Optishift is 425 for the controller. 140 for the wiring harness and the only option I didn't see the first time was a tps for a Holley that's another 85 bucks.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You are thinking of compushift. Optishift is 425 for the controller. 140 for the wiring harness and the only option I didn't see the first time was a tps for a Holley that's another 85 bucks.

I'm certain US Shift was called something else before. Might have been Optishift or Compushift, I can find out. But at any rate, that part doesn't really matter.

But you're saying it is $600 for the whole complete ready to install, program and use other than the Carb TPS adapter? That's not bad at all if true. I was hoping they'd get down soon. Around $500 for the complete turn key kit with different carb adapters would be ideal and good to make it a very reasonable option. It'll get there someday.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
OK, I found the thread. Sorry for the delay. Yeah, as you're being told, for towing, and being a 3/4 ton truck, scratch the 700r4 Idea. They are OK at best and are so common since they came OEM in the half ton OEM trucks. And notice I said OK, not good or excellent. Not a bad deal. They're not real strong, have issues, which can be worked on, but even at their best, they're not going to be bullet proof and you'd do damn good to get 50,000 miles out of one in that truck towing that light pontoon boat. John boat, yeah maybe, but it's not just the little bit of added weight. It's also the wind drag and the added friction of more wheels and dragging. The 4L80-E is the damn near bullet proof option. It's basically a Th400 with an OD built into it.

What hurts on the 4L80-E, is there is NO Old school model. It's computer controlled like a 4L60-E. Now you can have it built and use it like a Full Manual. Means, it's still an automatic, no clutch, but you will have to shift it 100% of the time. Even down shift it, up shift it and all. If you have it in 4th gear, then it will take off in 4th gear. NO AUTO FUNCTIONS AT ALL. It's basically a manual transmission without a clutch pedal. The stand alone computers to operate one are about $1000-$1500 depending on the unit you get.

Ummmm....don't forget about the TBI Computer out of the 91 3/4 ton burb, and the 94-95 TBi ecm....add the cable operated TPS I posted a pic of some time back, a map sensor, and a VSS....Program the engine side of the chip out, and you have a carbed truck, with a Modern trans. controller for a fraction of the cost.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ummmm....don't forget about the TBI Computer out of the 91 3/4 ton burb, and the 94-95 TBi ecm....add the cable operated TPS I posted a pic of some time back, a map sensor, and a VSS....Program the engine side of the chip out, and you have a carbed truck, with a Modern trans. controller for a fraction of the cost.

But, he talking about his Red 3/4 ton I do beleive, not the converted truck him and his dad just put together. Otherwise you're correct. That does bring the cost way on down.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
I'm certain US Shift was called something else before. Might have been Optishift or Compushift, I can find out. But at any rate, that part doesn't really matter.

But you're saying it is $600 for the whole complete ready to install, program and use other than the Carb TPS adapter? That's not bad at all if true. I was hoping they'd get down soon. Around $500 for the complete turn key kit with different carb adapters would be ideal and good to make it a very reasonable option. It'll get there someday.

I'm pretty sure if you call them up and ask about group buys they will give a discount. I've seen it on other sites.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yeah...thats what I am talking about too. I know he has a spot for an ECM over the HVAC box, and the tps would be operated by a cable connected to the bottom of the throttle crank on the carb...unless he has a TPS qJet, then that can be tapped into.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nice. One of these days, we'll get someone to do a Virgin 4L80-E conversion using a Carb and standalone computer.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BTW, you're estimate with 4.10's and 31 in OE tire size should be 3100, then add 200-300 for non lock up converter at 70mph.

3.73's would drop you down by 300 rpm, and 3.42's would drop you down to 500rpm to 2600+ 200-300 for non lock up converter.

Which rear axle do you have? 14b Semi Float 9.5in ring gear does have a 3.42 Option, but the 10.5 Full Float does not. 3.21 is next taller gear above 3.73. Big Jump !!!

How about an NV4500 conversion. Manual trans with OD? Also pricey since you'd have to add clutch pedals and linkage, cut the driveshaft which you'd have to do for any other conversion too?

At 4.10's with a 700r4, converter locked up and in OD at .67 final trans ratio will drop you down to 2100 rpm at 70 mph.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
BTW, you're estimate with 4.10's and 31 in OE tire size should be 3100, then add 200-300 for non lock up converter at 70mph.

3.73's would drop you down by 300 rpm, and 3.42's would drop you down to 500rpm to 2600+ 200-300 for non lock up converter.

Which rear axle do you have? 14b Semi Float 9.5in ring gear does have a 3.42 Option, but the 10.5 Full Float does not. 3.21 is next taller gear above 3.73. Big Jump !!!

How about an NV4500 conversion. Manual trans with OD? Also pricey since you'd have to add clutch pedals and linkage, cut the driveshaft which you'd have to do for any other conversion too?

At 4.10's with a 700r4, converter locked up and in OD at .67 final trans ratio will drop you down to 2100 rpm at 70 mph.

2100 is close to the sweet spot of that engine, if it is still stock.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
2100 is close to the sweet spot of that engine, if it is still stock.

Yes it is. I think he's running a basically stock, carbed 350 in that truck, so the engine performance isn't going to hurt the trans much. Low rear gears and OE size tires are certianly advantages using a 700r4. Only thing scaring me is the Wirty Dord, "TOWING" and I'd imagine he'd be doing that often.

Being he wouldn't be able to use OD while towing anyway, and it using the truck mostly for towing, I don't see the point in giving up the strength of a Th400.

It's been awhile since I got into the 700r4 details, but I do believe there is a way to get more holding power to the 4th gear holding mechanisms. I don't recall what that was now, but I did and do fully intend to build a 700r4 at some point with upgraded 3-4 clutch packs and more holding power mods, with added cooling mods and I will tow in OD. Of course, as I said, thet will be an abuse test transmission when I do it, and I'll be expecting it to break and wear out quick. If it doesn't then I'd be pretty happy.

Again, the funds I'd be spending on the build are alot more than a standard build and I"d be doing it for a 4x4 since there are common Tcase options. In a 2wd, by the time you did all those high end upgrades to a 700r4, you still have a 700r4 no matter how you slice it. You can throw all the money you want at it, and you still have smaller shafts, vane pumps and smaller clutches. By the time you threw all that money at a 700r4 you could have done the 4L80-E and have a much stronger transmission that requires alot less funds in upgrades. IIRC, the 4L80-E gives a .75 OD Ratio instead of a .67. That would just over 2300 rpm @ 70 and also good, and a better chance of being able to tow in OD too.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would be towing only occasionally. My goal is to make the truck more of a daily driver. If I wanted to drive it daily

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I would be towing only occasionally. My goal is to make the truck more of a daily driver. If I wanted to drive it daily

I guess I misunderstood that part. You've got things 3 things in your favor of running the 700r4. 1. 4.10 rear gear, 2. OE size tires, 3. Basically stock or mild motor. In actuality, having the 4.10 gears is even better for it than most of the half tons since 4.10's is pretty rare in half tons. If you're wanting for daily driver mainly, go for it. Give it a try.

At the very least, I'd make sure you're getting #1 The Best or SmartShell sunshell. #2 Corvette Servo, #3 Either Raysbestos 3-4 Z pak or Alto Commercial 3-4 Clutch Pack. Those are the bare minimum upgrades I suggest anyone gets in a 700r4. I'd also add a TransGo Jr or Stage 1 shift kit.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I guess I misunderstood that part. You've got things 3 things in your favor of running the 700r4. 1. 4.10 rear gear, 2. OE size tires, 3. Basically stock or mild motor. In actuality, having the 4.10 gears is even better for it than most of the half tons since 4.10's is pretty rare in half tons. If you're wanting for daily driver mainly, go for it. Give it a try.

At the very least, I'd make sure you're getting #1 The Best or SmartShell sunshell. #2 Corvette Servo, #3 Either Raysbestos 3-4 Z pak or Alto Commercial 3-4 Clutch Pack. Those are the bare minimum upgrades I suggest anyone gets in a 700r4. I'd also add a TransGo Jr or Stage 1 shift kit.

Abuilt 700r4 would not heat up too much with 4.10 gears come to think of it...but what about his being an old style case? Will that be an issue?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Abuilt 700r4 would not heat up too much with 4.10 gears come to think of it...but what about his being an old style case? Will that be an issue?

Just depends on how early it is. There were changes made every single year of the 700r4. The real early ones even have less splines on the input shaft. I try to make 87 as the first year I'd use, and 88 up is actually what all the Mail Order Trans Places like Monster, Mad Dog, PATC, etc use for the performance builds. And then again, some of the changes were just comfort changes that did things like eliminate clunks or harsh shifts but the trans will still hold up the same. For what I use my 84 C20 for, I'd have no problem using a 700r4 in it, but of course I'd build it, and it would be from a 92 Core I have sitting here waiting to be built. But, I won't do it now because that truck has 3.21 rear gears in the 14b Full Float. Until I swap a 4.10 axle in it, I have no intention of swapping out the Th400. But, 4.10's with a good 700r4 would sure get me better mileage, and that's behind a stock 454.

I don't always suggest people do what I do. It makes a big difference when you can build your own stuff when it breaks. To me it's just a hassle of taking it out and reinstalling it. But, that's what you do when you want to try and figure out how to make them better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattyb