How hard is it to transplant my engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ok, so, I am doing some extremely early pre- pre- preplanning for an engine swap I may or may not do a few years down the road. I want to keep the 700r4 and have it rebuilt by a local shop with upgraded parts.

Anyways, I've been drooling over a couple engines on Jegs. One is the RamJet 350 and the other is the
350 ZZ6. The RamJet has FI and the other is carb'd. As someone who has never transplanted an engine before, it is easy to visualize in my head what to do, but actually doing it is another story. The ZZ6 comes as a turnkey setup which is more desirable than the RamJet. I understand that I'll have to rig up the fuel system with a bypass regulator in order to let the fuel pumps work with the carb (unless I can use the included mechanical fuel pump instead).

So, could someone give me a basic run down of how this whole process works and a time frame? Like I said, I have a good idea in my head of how it goes, but not so much in practice. I highly doubt a shop would do the work since the engine is meant for pre-emission vehicles. Plus, I'll need to do something with the current engine, like offer it in exchange for help. But, don't hold me to that. Anything can happen between now and when I am ready for the swap.

Thanks!

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Since you have time, I'd do the comparison of what your looking at compared to rebuilding an LS and installing. What are the prices you're looking at for the 2 you mentioned?

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Since you have time, I'd do the comparison of what your looking at compared to rebuilding an LS and installing. What are the prices you're looking at for the 2 you mentioned?

The ramjet is 6300 and the zz6 is 7300. The zz6 is turnkey and has a serpentine accessory system while the ramjet would need the accessory system. I just want a new engine so I have something reliable to drive for a long while with extra ponies for fun. Will the 700r4 handle the 403 lbs/ft of torque or should I try for a 4L65e?

Thanks!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

That was going to be my suggestion. If you're willing to spend that kind of cash on those crates, and run all the ECM and wiring and ******** for EFI, may as well just do an LS Swap and all that ECM and wiring comes together by default. And you don't even need to rebuild the LS necessarily. If it's 100 -150,000 miles LS unit with ECM and wiring, then I'd just install it and get it running, learn the tuning and all that ********, THEN in 100,000 miles or so after you've had the time to learn LS and tuning, you'll know more about what you want, would have acquired your updated injectors and such, then build your LS long block with the mods you want it built for like a turbo with some boost etc.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There's some truth in this...

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The ramjet is 6300 and the zz6 is 7300. The zz6 is turnkey and has a serpentine accessory system while the ramjet would need the accessory system. I just want a new engine so I have something reliable to drive for a long while with extra ponies for fun. Will the 700r4 handle the 403 lbs/ft of torque or should I try for a 4L65e?

Thanks!
All the mods that make a 4L65-E different from a 4L60-E are backwards compatible to 4L60-E as well as 700r4. However, you start playing with a tuner for an LS, you'll probably want the 4L65-E anyway since you can also tune the transmission shift points and firmness with the tuner while you're tuning the LS. If you found an LS 6.0 it'll have a 4L65-E with it.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I just want to drop in a N/A 350 with more HP than what I have already. If I wanted to go LS, I would have mentioned it. I figured by dropping in the same block, I'd make my project easier. That's why I want a turnkey motor. Install it, set it, and drive it.

Talk about taking the long way to get some answers. Heck, maybe I'll just get the current motor rebuilt and not do anything more.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Of those choices I would go Ramjet. It comes complete, basically ready to go, with it's own ECM and wiring harness. Easier to wire up than an LS even, phukin imagine that. o_O Throw in a fuel pump in your current gas tank and you should be set. That's the extreme short of it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I also think the Ramjet is a good option. Drop it in, along with a higher pressure pump in the tank and call it done. The biggest modifications/adaptations would be simple ones.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
There is a cost benefit. Ls swaps become so easy, that a complete package can be done for 3k with virtually no tuning envolved and mostly off the shelf parts. I have drooled over the ramjet in 2008 and then ended up installing ls1 the next year. And was glad that i did(at the time, my decisions were purely money based. It was cheaper by doing my own harness etc...)

However, if you want to stay sbc, all the same applies. Verify things like power steering lines, coolant hoses, ac lines. If fuel injected, then fuel tank, pump, fuel lines, regulator. If swaping with 4l65e, there is no difference from 700r4 for mounting and driveshaft.
Alocate good 10 days or so for a base first time swap if all parts are there. Wiring and misc would be done later.

On other vehicle I went with a plain quick rebuild as it was cheaper than any other option and I was happy with current power levels

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
For that kind of money I would be building a vortec 8.1 swap. But simplicity does have its price. On ZZ6 all same things apply regarding hoses. If your truck currently a tbi, then you would need the fuel regulator for carburator or convert to just using mechanical fuel pump.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
For that kind of money I would be building a vortec 8.1 swap. But simplicity does have its price. On ZZ6 all same things apply regarding hoses. If your truck currently a tbi, then you would need the fuel regulator for carburator or convert to just using mechanical fuel pump.

Yeah, my truck has TBI. Good to know that I can use the included manual fuel pump. Although, I'd stick with the electric pumps I already have.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Wheewwwww, That's alot of damn money for 405hp/406ftlb. For that kinda money, easily LS swap with an added biggo snail and 600-650hp.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
What do you do? I don't have the knowledge nor experience building engines and I don't have a garage appropriate to build an engine. That's why I want to make this as easy as possible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88