How hard is it to transplant my engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'd like to third the Ramjet. The Gen III motors are excellent powerplants, but I understand wanting to keep an SBC. I think it's cool that the aftermarket is making a fuel injection setup kinda based on the old Rochester Ramjet mechanical fuel injection.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
They do make a 502 Ramjet, but that sucker is over 12 grand!

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Here's an '85 K10 with the ZZ6. They just installed a Magnaflow exhaust system on it. Sounds pretty sick!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I agree with HRPC on this. You were asking about better mileage vehicles in another thread, and you'll be hard pressed to find a better mpg/performance combo than a newer ls. You've already stated that an engine swap of this nature will be a first, and that this will be a future project. Think about it this way, the more time that passes, the more ls swap parts will be available. I believe there will be a point where the ls will be the same type of bolt in that the older small block is. These engines are getting put into everything, and as much as I hate technology and change, this isn't any different than old school hot rodding when the 350 got put into everthing. Hell, you can run a carb on an ls if you want. It's just easier to let the computer run the engine and trans together.

BillyP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
The 5.3 I have in my Envoy I can average almost 22mpg with no tuning on a road trip, being 4wd as well. You can't go wrong with the newer LS style engines. These engines last and make the power as well. My 5.3 is rated at 305hp (net) the LS1 in my Trans Am is a little over 400 at the rear wheels with a cam swap and tuning. There are lots of places that have everything you need to swap in a 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2 (gas not diesel) and it be turnkey as well for about half of what you are looking at paying for the ZZ6. Here's a video of my buddies 81 C10 with a 6.0 in it and a magnaflow exhaust.

Here he is in Mexico as well:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Just don't get a 5.3 out of an Impala or Monte Carlo the blocks are different for front drive. Those are the super cheap ones on CL. Also avoid the battery heads on the 5.3 and 4.8s unless you like replenishing coolant every other day.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
What do you do? I don't have the knowledge nor experience building engines and I don't have a garage appropriate to build an engine. That's why I want to make this as easy as possible.
If you have time(have a cheap second vehicle to drive for a few months), a lot can be done in a parking lot. Any motor swap, just not a full piece by piece motor build. If using electric fuel pump on a carb motor, I found that you can leave original computer and fuel pump wiring. Leave the computer to prime the pump when ignition turns on, and then install an oil pressure switch that will connect power to the fuel pump once the motor is running. It adds safety in killing the pump in case the motor shuts off or fails while ignition is still on.

But you already have the perfect set up for better fuel injection. Just drop a better fuel pump in and install adapters on the fuel lines under the hood.

Last edited:

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
be fore you get to far ahead of your self look at what you would need to buy before yo make a decision to swap the stock engine to carb, requires a carb ($400) intake ($100) regulator ($?).
Then add to that the cost of the new engine to swap in. If you want power and want to learn why not do a cam and head swap then learn to tune the efi (it will run on stock tuning as long as you dont go to big on the cam)a cable is $80, chips are $5, socket is $10, solder $25 if you cant do it, cam $100, find 350 TPI heads $? gaskets, fuel pump for good measure and future use ep381 $50

This retains your current engine so you can still save $ for the LS swap or zz6, helps you learn to tune, is relatively cheap and the existing 700r4 may hold up saving more $. If you do the LS swap don't bother with the 4l60 go straight to 4l80.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Most peoples world would be set on fire simply going from the stock, wore out, sub-200 HP engines to begin with to anything with a reasonable compression ratio and a mild cam lol.

My nephew thinks my little 406 is a rocket, because he has an L48 smog monster Vette that won't even do a burnout lol.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I know the LS motors are capable of knocking down some good mpg figures, but how do they do in a square truck? It can't be much better than a mild 350 with a properly tuned carb. Right?

Just don't get a 5.3 out of an Impala or Monte Carlo the blocks are different for front drive. Those are the super cheap ones on CL. Also avoid the battery heads on the 5.3 and 4.8s unless you like replenishing coolant every other day.

Where are these cheap FWD 5.3's you speak of? I'd like to find one, but they seem to be non-existent.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I know the LS motors are capable of knocking down some good mpg figures, but how do they do in a square truck? It can't be much better than a mild 350 with a properly tuned carb. Right?

Where are these cheap FWD 5.3's you speak of? I'd like to find one, but they seem to be non-existent.
I meant when you see a cheap 5.3 it's usually from a front driver. I've seen a few and some sellers are **** heads and won't tell you what it's from in the add.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I meant when you see a cheap 5.3 it's usually from a front driver. I've seen a few and some sellers are **** heads and won't tell you what it's from in the add.

Yeah, I can't say I've seen a singe one for sale. I must be in a dead area for them.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yeah, I can't say I've seen a singe one for sale. I must be in a dead area for them.
Most I've seen are from wrecks or beat to **** repos.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
be fore you get to far ahead of your self look at what you would need to buy before yo make a decision to swap the stock engine to carb, requires a carb ($400) intake ($100) regulator ($?).
Then add to that the cost of the new engine to swap in. If you want power and want to learn why not do a cam and head swap then learn to tune the efi (it will run on stock tuning as long as you dont go to big on the cam)a cable is $80, chips are $5, socket is $10, solder $25 if you cant do it, cam $100, find 350 TPI heads $? gaskets, fuel pump for good measure and future use ep381 $50

This retains your current engine so you can still save $ for the LS swap or zz6, helps you learn to tune, is relatively cheap and the existing 700r4 may hold up saving more $. If you do the LS swap don't bother with the 4l60 go straight to 4l80.

I had thought about getting the RamJet system for my 350. ALthough, I'd have to buy new heads, too. I wonder if that system would work with vortec heads? And, I wouldn't have a problem swapping heads, but I have read where they typically need machine work done to get the valves to seat correctly.

EDIT: The RamJet 350 intake kit will work. But shoot, it's 2 grand for the intake kit and another 900 for the ECU and wire harness. Plus, I'll need new heads; so, that's another 640.

2,000 + 900 + 640 = $3540 for how much more HP I wonder?

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Or, 400 bucks for a Vortec 5.7 take out, 200 for the appropriate intake, 200 for a nice cam.. 800.00 for 300 hp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silverado9019