81 350 SBC is farked, about to replace with 350 SBC bought locally

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I'd say keep the snorkel. The heat stove won't do anything unless the tube runs up to the air cleaner housing.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
My mechanic has been backed up, but I gave him a deposit so he will hopefully have time/room next week. Meantime, I took a closer look at the engine and have a couple questions:

What is this device? It's mounted right in front of the throttle linkage, by the A/C compressor, and looks like an electrical sender:
You must be registered for see images attach

I noticed that a small fin got broken off the quadrajet carb, by the hoisting chain. Is this a major problem?

Thanks, any info appreciated.

BRetty

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
That’s an idle solenoid, on an A/C equipped truck that should get +12v when the compressor is cycled, energizing the solenoid, it will then extend and push on the throttle arm raising the idle/keeping it from dropping with the extra load on the engine.

As long as the broken fin didn‘t create or reveal any holes into the bowl below I think it would be ok to run as is.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks Lego! I' probably going to delete the A/C, but def. Will keep that solenoid with the compressor. (And The bracket for it.)

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
They still going to hit you for smog down there?
1975 Model year and older does not need a smog inspection in California. They can still get hit with citations for things if you are pulled over by a cop and that can lead to other issues, but 1973 and older doesn't even have any emissions requirements under the clean air act... so they would have a hard time actually prosecuting anything like that.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/smog-inspections/

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Update (or not)

I am still waiting for my 350 transplant. The bottom line is that my mechanic in Hollywood just has no space at his shop, so he is very hesitant about having a large non -running vehicle there. Theoretically the engine swap should take a day or two, but if anything goes wrong he would be jammed up by my truck sitting there.

Sometimes I hate you all, with your 16 acre lots and multiple outbuildings and oil sumps. There is no goddamned place in Los Angeles County I could do this engine swap myself, unless I wanted to be one of the RV homeless on the side of the road. But those freaks guard their illegal parking like ... well, like crazy bums do.

Im really boned

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
GTFO of there!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well I lost the best paying job I ever had for not agreeing to move to LA. I regret the first part and nothing else about the decision.
I also understand there’s not any other places in the country to do what you do for a living full time likely. Except maybe Santa Fe, NM.
That said, IMO there’s really only 2 good options for someone who needs a vehicle daily to make a living and survive.
1, if you’re going the old bomber cheap vehicle/antique/ whatever route, you need at least 2 of those vehicles so you have a backup.
That’s how I got through the first several years from 16-20y/o.
Or 2, you need to dump the old bomber (or keep it) and get a reliable car. End of story.
Since physical space is at a minimum and your job is at stake according to you, I’d save the money spent on a old oil soaked engine, sell the old truck (pre 75s should go quick and decent money as a roller in Commirfuckya) and go get a decent truck.
You can still roll in a soon to be classic Chevy.
But if you don’t have the time, space and means to constantly fix an old car then you need one that is reliable and runs.
JMO.
Sounds blunt but these trucks are nothing special or rare yet and won’t be for a long time imo. Can get another one when you have the means.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Update (or not)

I am still waiting for my 350 transplant. The bottom line is that my mechanic in Hollywood just has no space at his shop, so he is very hesitant about having a large non -running vehicle there. Theoretically the engine swap should take a day or two, but if anything goes wrong he would be jammed up by my truck sitting there.

Sometimes I hate you all, with your 16 acre lots and multiple outbuildings and oil sumps. There is no goddamned place in Los Angeles County I could do this engine swap myself, unless I wanted to be one of the RV homeless on the side of the road. But those freaks guard their illegal parking like ... well, like crazy bums do.

Im really boned
I'm at odds with the statements in your second paragraph.. I'm one of those that owns 16 acres (In my case it's only 10 acres of totally rural property) with outbuildings. It's not my fault you chose to live in "goddamned Los Angeles County".. You made that choice yourself..

I'm a former shop owner so I've been on your mechanic's side of the fence.. No way would I take in a job like. Especially a vehicle that old. Too many unknowns to contend with.. He has only the customer's word that the engine is a good one. He gets the engine installed and it won't run.. Has some expensive issues.. The only warranty he can offer is the dang engine won't fall out. No way is he backed up over 2 months. Not this time of the year. He has a reputation to uphold and has given the project further thought.. Not worth the headaches so he "excuses the customer" out the door.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Well I finaly got the engine swapped. Bribing the shop with pizza was the key.

Now I have a question I'll post here rather than a sep. thread. I have the old engine and want to tear it down...

-- What is the best way to mount an SBC on an engine stand?

--Can I bolt to the rear bellhousing threaded bosses? Or should I take off the front and bolt on the block from that direction?

Thanks,
BR

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Well I finaly got the engine swapped. Bribing the shop with pizza was the key.

Now I have a question I'll post here rather than a sep. thread. I have the old engine and want to tear it down...

-- What is the best way to mount an SBC on an engine stand?

--Can I bolt to the rear bellhousing threaded bosses? Or should I take off the front and bolt on the block from that direction?

Thanks,
BR
Grade 8 bolts and washers, and bolt it to bell housing portion, as centered/balanced as you can so rotating the engine is easier. I haven't paid attention to the last part before, and when it came to turning the engine over it was a pain to rotate. Can still be done, but if it's more centered weight-wise where it rotates on the stand, it'll be better.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Grade 8 bolts and washers, and bolt it to bell housing portion, as centered/balanced as you can so rotating the engine is easier. I haven't paid attention to the last part before, and when it came to turning the engine over it was a pain to rotate. Can still be done, but if it's more centered weight-wise where it rotates on the stand, it'll be better.

Thanks for the info, I thought bellhousing but was not sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag