How hard is it to transplant my engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I meant when you see a cheap 5.3 it's usually from a front driver. I've seen a few and some sellers are **** heads and won't tell you what it's from in the add.
IIRC, the FWD 5.3's are aluminum blocks aren't they? The Pontiac Grand Prix GXP had them too.

BillyP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
IIRC, the FWD 5.3's are aluminum blocks aren't they? The Pontiac Grand Prix GXP had them too.
Yes, the LS4 5.3s were FWD only, had no provisions for mounting in a RWD car. I went to my local pull-a-part (Knoxville Tn) and found 4 5.3s. Two in Silverado's, one in a Tahoe, and one in an Isuzu Ascender (this is the aluminum 5.3 with 799 heads, the good ones) and I can get the entire engine with accessories for $179 plus a $35 core charge :)

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I had thought about getting the RamJet system for my 350. ALthough, I'd have to buy new heads, too. I wonder if that system would work with vortec heads? And, I wouldn't have a problem swapping heads, but I have read where they typically need machine work done to get the valves to seat correctly.

EDIT: The RamJet 350 intake kit will work. But shoot, it's 2 grand for the intake kit and another 900 for the ECU and wire harness. Plus, I'll need new heads; so, that's another 640.

2,000 + 900 + 640 = $3540 for how much more HP I wonder?

to use factory vortecs yes I have a set and to get them checked for cracks, decked, new springs for clearance to .510, and valve job cost over $500 without screw in studs, found an intake for them on CL for $70, now for the part I missed. The accessory brackets bolt to the intake on my truck for the upper support, cant do that with vortecs. Back to the junkyard to grab a vortec specific serp. set up so they only bolt to the front of the head, no braces to the intake or brackets bolted to the exhaust manifolds, another $70 without water pump or alt. (if you go this route buy an ac compressor that still has pressure to help save $) These are the reasons i suggested the iron TPI heads with a standard 87+ carb or TBI intake with max porting they flow about same as stock vortecs but without the additions cost of machine work and new intake.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yes, the LS4 5.3s were FWD only, had no provisions for mounting in a RWD car. I went to my local pull-a-part (Knoxville Tn) and found 4 5.3s. Two in Silverado's, one in a Tahoe, and one in an Isuzu Ascender (this is the aluminum 5.3 with 799 heads, the good ones) and I can get the entire engine with accessories for $179 plus a $35 core charge :)
Don't forget the Saab SUV had the aluminum 6.0 like the Trailblazer SS got.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Saabs got the 5.3, which was alloy, the TB SS got the iron 6.0, you can get the 5.3 in all the TB type vehicles though, except the Olds, which was killed too early.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_9-7X
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2008-saab-9-7x-aero-car-news
Not being a dick I just find that wiki isn't always the best info source for all things.

I didn't look in wikipedia lol. I've just owned a bunch of GMT360's, I did forget about the 9-7 Aero, idk how likely you are to find one of them or a SS in the junkyard, but 5.3 Envoy's, TB's, and Raniers are fairly common.

I still say a 5.7 Vortec dropout is the best bang for the buck to replace a wore out small block in a square, but everyone has their own ideas.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I didn't look in wikipedia lol. I've just owned a bunch of GMT360's, I did forget about the 9-7 Aero, idk how likely you are to find one of them or a SS in the junkyard, but 5.3 Envoy's, TB's, and Raniers are fairly common.

I still say a 5.7 Vortec dropout is the best bang for the buck to replace a wore out small block in a square, but everyone has their own ideas.
Yep, many people forget about the Vortec option. I'd agree, "Best bang for the buck" since there's alot of things you won't need to do an LS conversion. But, the Vortec can be hard to find since it's a 96-99 only for the most part, a bit longer into the Vans. Then you still need to do all the electronic and ECM wiring. Other thing about the 5.7 Vortec is, it's pretty much maxed out as far as adders to add hp.. The spider injector set up is crippling. Your only choice is to then spend the cash on a Marine based fuel rail system to eliminate the spider assembly and be able to use bigger injectors and even then, you have to use Ford injectors to go bigger. Though for my 4x4, 295 hp right out of the box would be fine with me. I'd just like to get away from the Carb and hard cold starts. Have to admit, I got spoiled with ECM controlled vehicle and just start and go no matter the temp or altitude, no pumping the gas, setting a choke, waiting for warm up etc.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Yep, many people forget about the Vortec option. I'd agree, "Best bang for the buck" since there's alot of things you won't need to do an LS conversion. But, the Vortec can be hard to find since it's a 96-99 only for the most part, a bit longer into the Vans. Then you still need to do all the electronic and ECM wiring. Other thing about the 5.7 Vortec is, it's pretty much maxed out as far as adders to add hp.. The spider injector set up is crippling. Your only choice is to then spend the cash on a Marine based fuel rail system to eliminate the spider assembly and be able to use bigger injectors and even then, you have to use Ford injectors to go bigger. Though for my 4x4, 295 hp right out of the box would be fine with me. I'd just like to get away from the Carb and hard cold starts. Have to admit, I got spoiled with ECM controlled vehicle and just start and go no matter the temp or altitude, no pumping the gas, setting a choke, waiting for warm up etc.

working on vortec head swap on my tbi engine with carb adapter and intake manifold.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I'd just use the longblock and accessories with a carb, add a electronic fuel pump and party on.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Shoot, I might just get my engine rebuilt and add new vortec heads and intake then get the tranny rebuilt. Currently, there isnt anything wrong with either one.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

Didn't the is Isuzu Ascender get the 5.3 as well?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Didn't the is Isuzu Ascender get the 5.3 as well?
That I'm unsure of, I've never actually seen an Ascender, although I have seen the others, and have a buddy with a lifted SS and a low range case swapped in lol.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Shoot, I might just get my engine rebuilt and add new vortec heads and intake then get the tranny rebuilt. Currently, there isnt anything wrong with either one.
Going from wore out 210 original HP to fresh 280-290 is a big change.

I bet my little 406 doesn't crack 275 rwhp... But it does wicked donuts lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128