heater core

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Why doesn't anyone take their OG core to a radiator shop and have it repaired? *he wonders.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Why doesn't anyone take their OG core to a radiator shop and have it repaired? *he wonders.
Because the rapists at the rad shop would probably charge more then you could buy 3 for just guessing tho

Red 87

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size

Never thought of doing it...I tend to OVERthink stuff. :Big Laugh:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Honestly, I didn't know there was a difference in the thickness of the heater cores, but I would've needed the thinner one anyway because I have factory A/C. I know aluminum dissipates heat better than copper, but I would think that copper would be better because you want the core to retain heat...not dissipate it quicker. If the core retains the heat better, then when the fan blows over it, the air coming out the vents would be warmer...which is what we want.

Here is the side-by-side pic of the old core and the new one I bought from AutoZone. The factory one is definitely NOT aluminum, and it was much heavier, too.

So now looking at these two side-by-side, it's clear the one I got from AutoZone is not as wide as the OEM one, so air is probably coming in from those gaps around it.

You must be registered for see images attach
Heater cores usually have restrictors in them to slow the coolant flow down and heats the core so it can dissipate heatwhen air is moved across it into the box and threw the vents just as your radiator dissipates heat when air is moved across it. Same principle.

Red 87

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Heater cores usually have restrictors in them to slow the coolant flow down and heats the core so it can dissipate heatwhen air is moved across it into the box and threw the vents just as your radiator dissipates heat when air is moved across it. Same principle.

Restrictors...like an internal baffle of some sort? Didn't know that either. I should've kept the old core and dissected it.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Restrictors...like an internal baffle of some sort? Didn't know that either. I should've kept the old core and dissected it.
The restrictors I’ve seen were in aluminum because of aluminum’s heat transfer manufacturers try to keep the coolant in them longer. The ones I’ve cut apart looked like spiral drill cuttings in the tubes.

good times

Reaction score
First Name
lorne
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I live in northern Alberta and can promise the aluminum spectra heater core I put in my 85 k10 will toast me out at -30°C. I don't know the difference for sure but my truck came with factory ac so I got the one for trucks with ac. Fit perfectly and works fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Red 87

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I live in northern Alberta and can promise the aluminum spectra heater core I put in my 85 k10 will toast me out at -30°C. I don't know the difference for sure but my truck came with factory ac so I got the one for trucks with ac. Fit perfectly and works fantastic.

That's the same one I bought from AutoZone. Guess I must have something else going on.

Sublime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
m
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

That's good news for me !

I just purchased an aluminium core and will install it next week some time. My plan is to try and fix the original. It is barely leaking at one of the inlets so I hope its just a small split that I can solder.
Then I should have a spare original if ever needed.

Sublime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
m
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
UPDATE - removed the old copper heater core today. The new aluminium core is definitely smaller in size. As stated further up in the thread its not the fact that an aluminium core is "bad" , RATHER, some of the replacement aluminium cores (like the one I purchased) is smaller in width allowing air to flow around the core instead of through the core.
I'm headed to a radiator shop tomorrow to see if the original can be repaired.

You can see the width difference in this photo.

another of the bottom of the new core in the bottom bracket of the heater box, notice the gap on the left

again notice the gap between the heater box opening and the new core (left side)

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
That’s an easy fix though

Sublime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
m
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The old core is back in. The radiator shop fixed, cleaned and re-tested for 40.00. Not too bad and it fits like its suppose to. Then this happens, leaking heater hoses. Looks like a manufacture defect, tiny f'n pin holes. Its BS the hoses are only a few months old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD