Heater core problems.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

good times

Reaction score
First Name
lorne
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I just bought an 85 k10 a couple weeks ago. When i tried to use the defroster my window fogged up even worse and wouldn't clear. It got to the point that i had drops of water running on the inside of the window and i had to use a rag to clear it off enough to see. I am pretty sure it is a leak in the heater core but I cant smell coolant. Any ideas?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I would say it is a leaky heater core. I think I picked mine up for $60 just like new rebuilt.

Plan for a whole day to do it. Its not difficult but can take a bit to figure out. Also wash up all the plastic with soap and water.

datto62073

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
i did mine in just a few hours but i have no AC either. its not to hard just time consuming. a core from O'reillys isn't to terrible and they work pretty damn good. i have one, because i work there, and although a touch smaller than the OE one, works excellent now that i have burped the system.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
have you guys that have replace your heater cores notice the ones everybody wants to sell you don't fit right. I had to do mine last year. I couldn't find one that fit correctly, they were all loose. they were all slightly smaller and I tried everyone. so I finally took mine to my radiator guy and he built me one. it fit perfect. just wondering. highdesertranger

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I got a 4 seasons core cut the box open from inside and was done in an hour...

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Last edited:

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
yeah but did it fit right? is it loose? the four season one I got was like all the others, didn't fit right. highdesertranger

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
yeah but did it fit right? is it loose? the four season one I got was like all the others, didn't fit right. highdesertranger
Yea mine fits good.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
so it wasn't loose once the straps were all tight. do you have ac? mine doesn't maybe that's were the problem lies. highdesertranger

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yes I do have AC. :)

Casper

Reaction score
First Name
Kev
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
350 soon to be Cummins 5.9
I have an '84 3/4 ton and it had a leaky heater core from the day I bought it. I can't remember how long it took, but it wasn't that tough of a job. I remember it being tight, but not difficult. Check your padding up under the dash and see if it's damp. That will tell you quite a bit.

ETA: Yes, it has A/C.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I have used a few 4 season ones. they fit decent. It is less than a hr job if the bolts stay in housing when removing nuts on outside of firewall. Ac heater core is not much different to change than a non ac on, just have to hunt alittle harder for the nuts on engine side of firewall.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I have A/C and it fit really good but it was a rebuilt core which in my opinion is just as good as a brand new one. Same goes for rads I will always just have the old one refurbed its just as good as new but cheaper and no fitment issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe