guys im going to have to get a S10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
those of you freaking out about gas milage... its the holidays... price of gas goes up when people are going to be traveling alot. DUH.

and as for not being able to find a job... someone doesn't want to find a job.

been there, done that. i live in what was for a long time the area with the highest unemployment rate in the country... and not only did i find a job, i found 3 of them.

i have been going every week to the unemployment office putting in applications you may say ******** but thats your opinion i have been trying to find work here. most of our jobs got sent overseas so they can pay a ***** 50 cents an hour

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
You've probably already thought about this but have you considered moving closer to an area where jobs are more plentiful?

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
You've probably already thought about this but have you considered moving closer to an area where jobs are more plentiful?

can i borrow some money for gas to move it's only 3.24 here

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
here in wv most jobs are flippin' burgers or being a cashier and those are always open.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Apply for job, interview for job, get job, THEN move with money from said job :shrug: It's a legit suggestion. In this job market and this economy you gotta take extreme measures sometimes...

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I agree, Swims which is why I like to look in the State Jobs listings. There may be a freeze on hiring right now, but there's no freeze on the firing! When a spot opens someone is gonna have to fill it.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I hear you have to smack your boss to even get considered for firing from a state or gov't job....

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
People gotta eat and people gotta die...So i think I'm covered for awhile...But I know how it is out there, for sure.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
i have been going every week to the unemployment office putting in applications you may say ******** but thats your opinion i have been trying to find work here. most of our jobs got sent overseas so they can pay a ***** 50 cents an hour
i played that game too... i got tired of filling out the paperwork. one day, i said screw it. filled the truck up with gas, and started knocking on doors. i went to 6 places in an industrial park on the other side of town, all of them told me they were not hiring. saw a building with a parking lot full of cars, walked in and asked if they were hiring. i was met with "what can you do?" i told the man that i'd do anything, sweeping floors, whatever, i just need a job. he stopped me and said that they weren't really looking to hire anyone. i continued that i have woodworking experience, RV experience, and i've been playing with trucks for over 20 years. he immediately got on the radio, and called the shop supervisor... brief interview, and they hired me on the spot, before i even filled out the application. you've just got to get out there, put in the leg work, and sell yourself. there is a job for you out there, you just have to prove that you're better than the next guy.

and now i've got a job most gearheads would kill for... here is my latest project... an 80 ton rotator with 320" of boom extension, and continuous rotation.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Does anyone else remember summer of 08 when the gas prices were completely outrageous?! If I remember right PPG was over 4 bucks. I was spending 20 bucks a day to drive to work.

Jobs are crap right now, I have never had a problem getting a job. I've been without one since last June and thats the longest i have ever been unemployed.

Something to consider.... Gold prices are the highest ever, Nevada mines more gold than any other State. Nevada also has the highest unemployment... Still waiting to hear back about my gold mining job but have a feeling they were waiting for the new year.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
People gotta eat and people gotta die...So i think I'm covered for awhile...But I know how it is out there, for sure.
You've got job security wrapped up Retro. Work start slowing down at the funeral home, you can always feed them something to create more bidness at the funeral home.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
One of these days I want to start my own business so that the only person I have to worry about paying me is me. I've got the idea of the business in my head but still planning it out and building up the capital.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
One of these days I want to start my own business so that the only person I have to worry about paying me is me. I've got the idea of the business in my head but still planning it out and building up the capital.

You forgot about all the taxes you get to pay as a business owner. State sales tax, City B&O tax if you have that, Federal tax, I'd rather be the hourly flunky and leave all that **** up to someone else.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

I been there and done it several times 077. Always fairly successful at it too. But it does get old. I have made more money in my life sitting at home in my office, but cabin fever set in badly. Also, there will come a time, when all you want to do is punch a clock for your 40hrs a week and be done. When self employed, your mind is working 24/7/365 and doesn't even take Christmas or New Years off.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'll give you a big tip too. Don't sit around waiting capital. IF you have a good idea, the motiviation, start with a fail safe venture. One that may not make alot of money, but at least you won't lose on it. My motto was, "Use the banks money to make money". I started my ebay biz with $1000 limit credit card. Soon had $20K in credit line. Charged it up and paid it off twice in the same month, so the bank couldn't make any interest on me. They never made a nickel from me. Always paid off within the 25 day grace period.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486