Gauge Conversion- Dummy Lights to Factory

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwchew22

Reaction score
First Name
Duncan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I have an 85 with dummy gauges. I recently picked up a set of factory gauges out of an 82. For some reason I thought I could just plug in the new gauges and the lights, blinkers etc would work. WRONG. I understand that I will need to put sending units on to communicate with said gauges. When I pulled the gauges out of the salvaged 82 I cut all the wires off and took the plug with about a foot of wires still hanging out just to know what went where. My issue is that the new gauge cluster has twice as many wires coming into it as my existing cluster. I think I read somewhere that power windows and doors are wired through the gauge cluster? (Please correct me if I'm wrong) My truck is manual doors and windows and the gauges came off of a truck with power doors and windows. A lot of info to ask a simple question, but is there some way to cross reference the two wiring diragrams to splice in what I need to make the gauges work? Or am I way out of my league and should just get used to looking at the dreaded dummy lights? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'll be watching this to see what the electrical wiring gurus have to say. I'm glad you did get the pigtail to the gauge cluster. Had I known you were looking for this, I'd have gladly you traded you a gauge cluster. I actually want an idiot light functioning cluster. I just have an issue trusting electric gauges and sometimes not trusting myself with lots of thought on my mind sometimes while driving, not even paying attention to gauges. And worse, if you let a gf, wife, son or daughter drive your truck that doesn't know the difference of 10lbs of oil pressure or 40lbs, if they had a biggo light go off to grap their attention, or my attention in deep thought, THEN have a nice set of quality mechanical trustworthy gauges so I know what's going on, or something to look at if and when I light does go off, I just like the idea of BOTH.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I have an 85 with dummy gauges. I recently picked up a set of factory gauges out of an 82. For some reason I thought I could just plug in the new gauges and the lights, blinkers etc would work. WRONG. I understand that I will need to put sending units on to communicate with said gauges. When I pulled the gauges out of the salvaged 82 I cut all the wires off and took the plug with about a foot of wires still hanging out just to know what went where. My issue is that the new gauge cluster has twice as many wires coming into it as my existing cluster. I think I read somewhere that power windows and doors are wired through the gauge cluster? (Please correct me if I'm wrong) My truck is manual doors and windows and the gauges came off of a truck with power doors and windows. A lot of info to ask a simple question, but is there some way to cross reference the two wiring diragrams to splice in what I need to make the gauges work? Or am I way out of my league and should just get used to looking at the dreaded dummy lights? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

My issue is that the new gauge cluster has twice as many wires coming into it as my existing cluster.

A cluster fitted with gauges does require a greater number of wires, but it's not twice as many. A harness connector to a 1985 base cluster has 16 leads while the connector used for a gauge cluster has 19 (and a couple of those are redundant). A better indication is the number of unused tabs on the male connector. There are 3 unused on a base type and 1 on a gauge type.

I think I read somewhere that power windows and doors are wired through the gauge cluster?

No, those circuits are completely independent of the IP circuit.

I think I have attached everything you would need to integrate the 82 gauge cluster with your 85 IP circuits. I included some 1984 dwgs because the wiring is identical and they are the best set I have - my 1982 dwgs suck. Probably most helpful will be the 1985 dwg. It has both the base and gauge clusters side by side, so comparison should be easy.

When it comes time to actually connect the cluster leads to the various sensors and switches, somone can certainly help. Just ask.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
One circuit that causes a lot of confusion is the operation choke light - how it is wired and it's relationship to the oil pressure switch and the choke heater. Please read the following it may help you. Be aware that the oil pressure sender only drives the pressure indicator - while the oil pressure switch operates the choke light/heater. The choke light in a gauge equipped cluster is also a low oil pressure warning lamp - if it comes on while the engine is running shut down until you verify proper oil pressure:

dwchew22

Reaction score
First Name
Duncan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Wow! Thank you very much! I wasn't expecting any help and I got a wealth of info. Thank you again @chengny!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90sBurb