Dash lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kowboy

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super K10
Engine Size
Well boys, I completely redid the radio wiring and still no dash lights, started checking for power on the wire for the dash lights and I have no power, I have the notion to run a new power wire cause I’m tired of not having dash lights

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Well boys, I completely redid the radio wiring and still no dash lights, started checking for power on the wire for the dash lights and I have no power, I have the notion to run a new power wire cause I’m tired of not having dash lights
Did you trace the dash light power wire from the instrument cluster plug all the way back to the headlight switch?? Have you replaced that blown dash light fuse?? You plan "to run a new power wire"?? From where to where??

Kowboy

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super K10
Engine Size
Did you trace the dash light power wire from the instrument cluster plug all the way back to the headlight switch?? Have you replaced that blown dash light fuse?? You plan "to run a new power wire"?? From where to where??
I traced everything, what I ended up doing is jumping power off the tail light wire on the switch, what had happened apparently the switch also went bad for the dash lights too during all this, and no one around me had a switch I just jumped power and now I have no issues, the only other thing I was gonna use LED replacements for the 194 bulbs but they wouldn’t light up I guess cause they weren’t putting drawing enough to show a load on the system

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC

Kowboy

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super K10
Engine Size

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Well the parts stores in my area didn’t have any idea what I was talking about and the one didn’t have one nor knew when they could get one
Well, it looks like it's boiled down to 2 choices.. Live with what you've got or get on the phone with Classic Industries.. You've got the part number and price..

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
GM used that headlight switch for probably 50 years of car and truck production. I find it difficult to believe not one part store has one in stock.

AutoZone’s part number is SW141. I would think orielly, Napa, or any of the other parts stores could find an interchange number for that.

Kowboy

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super K10
Engine Size
GM used that headlight switch for probably 50 years of car and truck production. I find it difficult to believe not one part store has one in stock.

AutoZone’s part number is SW141. I would think orielly, Napa, or any of the other parts stores could find an interchange number for that.
AutoZone didn’t know what I was talking about, Advance had an idea but didn’t have one, don’t have an OReillys in the area, and Napa is a lost cause up here cause they never have anything

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
You do realize we're having trouble believing the auto parts industry is that bad in your area, although I do believe what you said about AutoZone.. In any case, you've been provided with part numbers and at least one internet supplier.. Get on the computer, use the URL provided and order a switch...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe