Fillmore goes under the knife

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
Well, it started out as a surging idle and hesitating and bucking and snorting while driving it. I took my Sub to a shop to have it looked at and the guy hosed me for $400 and didn't fix it worth a damn, (he told me that it was just about 98% better.....try 2% better).

So, I told my wife that it was just a sign to fix it my damn self so I know it's right. So, I'm looking for a vacuum leak but I'm also changing my intake manifold gasket, timing chain, rebuilding the TBI unit, and maybe a new distributor and new steering box. Once I get him fixed and put back together and running, I'm gonna start a new thread in the suspension section when the lift kit goes on with the replacement junkyard 10 bolt rear.........that's right, a 10 bolt rear.:shitsweak:

I'm gonna get some pics up in the next day or two and I'm gonna keep you guys up to date with everything so don't worry.......here comes another Suburban build thread! :grd:

First to come up....the dissasembly of Fillmore.

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
So here are some pics of the work so far. Progress has been really slow due to the heat, work and lack of enthusiasm in doing this project.

You must be registered for see images attach

I could've done this without taking the core support out, but it's soo much nicer being able to work on this standing up instead of lying in the engine bay. I have a bad knee and I've found that I just can't bend like I used to do so a little extra work is ok if it makes my life easier in the long run.

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
Some more pics:

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
And finally, here's a shot of my helper. She's happy to work for free, works overtime and more than happy to clean the tools after we're done with them...my kinda girl.

Boogiedown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
1985/1977
Truck Model
Silverado/c-10
Engine Size
350/350
looks like ur gettin er done, im in the same place with my 85. the heat is really making it hard to work on it, it was 104 today

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
NO doubt, the heat is sure slowing my efforts on working on my squares. I haven't had a full weekend off in years and years. I am off both Sat and Sun this week and Sat is now gone and I feel like I wasted the whole day taking breathers from the heat. Getting old sucks !!!

I have a feeling that helper doesn't work free. I bet she gets plenty of twinkies and ice creams and just about anything she wants just batting her eyes. She's just got you fooled thinking she's working for free. Gotta be careful of those little girls. They're smooth operators. I know, I had one too, she is now 23. :waytogo:

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I have a swamp cooler for my garage. However, my wife commandeered for our bedroom...Oh well, I don't have the money or desire to go to the junkyard and get what my truck needs to fix it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have a swamp cooler for my garage. However, my wife commandeered for our bedroom...Oh well, I don't have the money or desire to go to the junkyard and get what my truck needs to fix it.

Whoa !!! Really??? Does a swamp cooler even really do any good in TX heat? Swamp coolers will add more humidity which also raises the heat index in an already very humid environment. Really??? It helps???
I know swamp coolers are great for places like CA desert, AZ, NV and NM, but even still, they sure don't work like AC's even though they use much less energy.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Well, it started out as a surging idle and hesitating and bucking and snorting while driving it. I took my Sub to a shop to have it looked at and the guy hosed me for $400 and didn't fix it worth a damn, (he told me that it was just about 98% better.....try 2% better).

So, I told my wife that it was just a sign to fix it my damn self so I know it's right. So, I'm looking for a vacuum leak but I'm also changing my intake manifold gasket, timing chain, rebuilding the TBI unit, and maybe a new distributor and new steering box. Once I get him fixed and put back together and running, I'm gonna start a new thread in the suspension section when the lift kit goes on with the replacement junkyard 10 bolt rear.........that's right, a 10 bolt rear.:shitsweak:

I'm gonna get some pics up in the next day or two and I'm gonna keep you guys up to date with everything so don't worry.......here comes another Suburban build thread! :grd:

First to come up....the dissasembly of Fillmore.
Dude, I am so looking forward to watching this thread! :handshake:

Burbs rule!! 10 bolt FTFW!!! :High 5:

Just make sure you get the L/S diffy and not hte gov-loc. :waytogo:

Right HRPC?

LOve the pics man, keep'm comin! :popcorn:

I can;t wait for the winter to start doing some more Burb write ups. :)

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I can;t believe how clean and rust frre that thing is in that pic, my life would bw so much easier if mine was like that, lot easier to work on, you are very lucky. :sad72:

attachment.php

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Dude, I am so looking forward to watching this thread! :handshake:

Burbs rule!! 10 bolt FTFW!!! :High 5:

Just make sure you get the L/S diffy and not hte gov-loc. :waytogo:

Right HRPC?

LOve the pics man, keep'm comin! :popcorn:

I can;t wait for the winter to start doing some more Burb write ups. :)

True, you certainly prefer the Auburn LSD over the Junky Eaton Gov-Lok. Beleive it or not though, I think GM codes both the same as G80. You just don't know which you got until you open it up I guess. I was shocked to see yours had the what I think to be the Auburn unit. I almost wonder if the PO didn't have it installed aftermarket.

I can;t believe how clean and rust frre that thing is in that pic, my life would bw so much easier if mine was like that, lot easier to work on, you are very lucky. :sad72:

attachment.php
Its not lucky, I think its more of choosing not to live in the rust belt capital. Although, Id imagine Montana gets their share of salted roads too.

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
As far as the 10 bolt goes, I'm thinking about a 14 bolt since I broke a 10 bolt on my Blazer years ago on 33's just taking off from a red light. I like doing things once, not 2 or 3 times before I get it right. The only problem is, I love my Rally rims on this so it's gonna be hard to switch to 8 lugs.

Hmm....white spoke 8 lugs I imagine....:emotions33:

And the salted roads, nope, we don't get that here. Hell, you're lucky to see a truck sanding the roads at all. I think people would take up arms in revolt if their ranch trucks started rusting away on them and they found out it was due to the highway department.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
True, you certainly prefer the Auburn LSD over the Junky Eaton Gov-Lok. Beleive it or not though, I think GM codes both the same as G80. You just don't know which you got until you open it up I guess. I was shocked to see yours had the what I think to be the Auburn unit. I almost wonder if the PO didn't have it installed aftermarket.

I'd say it's aftermarket. I've seen A LOT of gov-loc 10 bolts, and never one with an LSD.

As far as the 10 bolt goes, I'm thinking about a 14 bolt since I broke a 10 bolt on my Blazer years ago on 33's just taking off from a red light. I like doing things once, not 2 or 3 times before I get it right. The only problem is, I love my Rally rims on this so it's gonna be hard to switch to 8 lugs.

6-lug 14bolt semi-float from a newer truck:wave:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd say it's aftermarket. I've seen A LOT of gov-loc 10 bolts, and never one with an LSD.

Yeah, me too. I'm with you on that. It was common to see the Auburn LSD in GM passenger cars, but not trucks. Trucks usually got the Gov-Lok from 80 to at least 2006 that I am aware of, and probably thru to current. I really wish GM would change that. No doubt the Gov Lok is good operating system. Its method and how it works is great, is just not the stongest. The gov gear being the weak link. Once it strips, no more locking diff. Good thing about it, it will not leave you starnded. It will operate as a peg legger open diff and get you where you need to go. Bad thing is, when it goes and you're depending on it, it just might not be there with locking diff. But I do beleive 89S is added aftermarket. Rather than Gov-Lok, I'd prefer to have an open diff, then add my own Lock-Right locker since its just as simple as a spider gear replacement and doesn't require removing the carrier or resetting up of the ring and pinion. Apparenlty its good up to a 33in tire and 350hp. Past that, you might want to consider a Detroit Locker or Auburn LSD.

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
Well, I got the intake off about 30 minutes ago! I had to come in because of the heat. It looks as if this job had been tackled at some point in the past though. The gasket didn't look too bad, but visual inspection doesn't always guarantee seeing something obvious. The other indicator that this wasn't virgin territory was the fact that the cruise control vacuum cannister bracket bolt was loose. 89S knows which bolt I'm talking about. To say it was a ********** to get to is being kind. It was a **** ********** to get to!! :upyours:

I also decided to forget the serpentine swap for now. I figured it was going to run me around $150-$200 to buy everything I needed to make the swap, (pulleys, brackets, waterpump, etc.). Down the line if I need an engine to swap in or rebuild, I'll just buy a complete later model motor with everything already on there. I did however buy a power steering bracket for my truck.
I couldn't keep my power steering belt tight to save my life. Well, the previous owner lost the bottom part of the bracket that bolts to the block and the upper part of the bracket snapped at some point. I only had one bolt keeping the power steering tight. So, for $25 I have a complete bracket and I'm sure it'll work great.

Now I just have to clean up the intake, throw the motor back together, get a new steering box, oil and tranny cooler lines to replace my leaking ones and then I can focus on my lift installation! :wave:

Oh, and I have to get some pics up so I can show off all my hard work.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
630erik1