Mysterious wire under the dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84 Silverado

Reaction score
First Name
Tod
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado 1500
Engine Size
Gents,
1984 Silverado. Tore the column and dash out and now I can't remember what this wire is or where it goes. Anyone have a bead on this one?

Attachments

• Under Dash Wire.jpg
    Under Dash Wire.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 76

mxer147

83 K20, 350 vortec, 465, 208, 14/10, 4.10, 33s
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Looks like that one belongs in the column, been ages since I tore apart a column but it looks familiar and the plastic sheath keeps it tucked in nicely since space is a premium.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Looks like the cruise wires to me, but...

No idea why they are not attached to the cruise stalk.

David King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Recently replaced my Cruise Control stalk and can say for sure that wire goes to the cruise control/turn signal stalk. Make sure you put it in the column before you install the column, otherwise, good luck installing it with the column installed. I tried for hours to get that wire bundle back down through the steering column for the new cruise control stalk with no success. While the steering wheel was off, was able to fish out the original cruise control bundle, mine was severed, and spliced in the new wire bundle that came with the new cruise control stalk. There are four color coded wires in the wire bundles. Attach them color to color and secure the bundle down in the sterring wheel hub. Mine had not worked for 20 years, as soon as I did this, it started working on the first try just like brand new! Good Luck!

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
This probably won't work for the OP, but I learned a trick many years ago when replacing the stalk integrated CC switch. Unplug the harness from the module.. Look closely and find the small hole in the plug on the end of the harness.. Using a 22 - 28 gauge copper wire about 30 inches long, attach it to he hole in the plug.. Remove the stalk from its socket and pull the harness up through the column and out the hole in the side of the column. Remove the old harness from the wire and attach the new harness. Working from under the dash, pull the copper wire back down through the column, the new harness will follow the wire right back through the same "pathway" in the column.. The plastic sheath can now be replaced.. Plug the new harness into the module and Job Finished...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35