Fillmore goes under the knife

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Well, I got the intake off about 30 minutes ago! I had to come in because of the heat. It looks as if this job had been tackled at some point in the past though. The gasket didn't look too bad, but visual inspection doesn't always guarantee seeing something obvious. The other indicator that this wasn't virgin territory was the fact that the cruise control vacuum cannister bracket bolt was loose. 89S knows which bolt I'm talking about. To say it was a ********** to get to is being kind. It was a **** ********** to get to!! :upyours:

I also decided to forget the serpentine swap for now. I figured it was going to run me around $150-$200 to buy everything I needed to make the swap, (pulleys, brackets, waterpump, etc.). Down the line if I need an engine to swap in or rebuild, I'll just buy a complete later model motor with everything already on there. I did however buy a power steering bracket for my truck.
I couldn't keep my power steering belt tight to save my life. Well, the previous owner lost the bottom part of the bracket that bolts to the block and the upper part of the bracket snapped at some point. I only had one bolt keeping the power steering tight. So, for $25 I have a complete bracket and I'm sure it'll work great.

Now I just have to clean up the intake, throw the motor back together, get a new steering box, oil and tranny cooler lines to replace my leaking ones and then I can focus on my lift installation! :wave:

Oh, and I have to get some pics up so I can show off all my hard work.

Kick ass dude! :High 5: I am excited to see the lift kit.

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
Just a little update:

I'm really glad I decided to take the intake off this thing. Cleaning it all up this weekend, I flipped it over and noticed that the passages in the intake for the EGR was completely pulgged solid with carbon build-up, including the gasket! I effectively had no functioning EGR valve on this thing. My thoughts are that it's gonna run like a raped ape when it goes back together this week. I still have some little niggling things to take care of like leaky oil cooler lines etc., but it's coming along pretty nicely.

Pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

buRRp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Nice write up. Will follow this thread for sure.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hey Burbdood...Since you are more than 1/2 way there, You may as well pull the heads to make certain the valves are in good shape, and remove any carbon build up in the combustion chambers...Heck, I would even pull the cam to confirm its condition.

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
Hey Burbdood...Since you are more than 1/2 way there, You may as well pull the heads to make certain the valves are in good shape, and remove any carbon build up in the combustion chambers...Heck, I would even pull the cam to confirm its condition.

I hear what you're saying and I agree it'd be smart, but I've gotten into a lot of trouble with "might as well" in the past and I need to get it back on the road ASAP. My DD is a 72 Pontiac Ventura II that gets 8.5MPG and doesn't carry the girl-child, the wife and myself very comfortably.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I hear what you're saying and I agree it'd be smart, but I've gotten into a lot of trouble with "might as well" in the past and I need to get it back on the road ASAP. My DD is a 72 Pontiac Ventura II that gets 8.5MPG and doesn't carry the girl-child, the wife and myself very comfortably.

I hear ya....at least do a compression check before you throw it all back together....I beg you!

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
I hear ya....at least do a compression check before you throw it all back together....I beg you!

I might do a compression test, but to be honest, I can't see why I'd really need one right now. The motor was purring like a kitten with a very steady idle, burned absolutely no oil between oil changes and didn't burn any coolant either. The only thing it did was hunt for an idle and bog down on acceleration after I had my injectors replaced. I started to think vacuum leak and replaced the intake manifold, (for no reason from the looks of it), as well as some rotten vacuum lines.

I can guarantee you that it's a healthy motor and it gets about 16-17MPG's still.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Just a little update:

I'm really glad I decided to take the intake off this thing. Cleaning it all up this weekend, I flipped it over and noticed that the passages in the intake for the EGR was completely pulgged solid with carbon build-up, including the gasket! I effectively had no functioning EGR valve on this thing. My thoughts are that it's gonna run like a raped ape when it goes back together this week. I still have some little niggling things to take care of like leaky oil cooler lines etc., but it's coming along pretty nicely.

Pics:

Man, I do NOT miss that chit.

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
Man, I do NOT miss that chit.

But you were ON TOP of the engine where as I have the core support out so I can stand and do the work. I'm too old, fat and a little less bendy then I used to be for that kind of **** anymore.

Actually, this has been kicking my ass going at a VERY leisurely pace. I just don't get as much enjoyment wrenching on these things as I used to. Fifteen years ago, if something squeeked or made a funny noise, I was under, over and thru the SOB but not anymore. My enjoyment comes from being able to drive it and enjoy it. They can sell you the parts, but they can't sell you the motivation.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Uhhhh....what color paint marks are on your new injectors? Was the fuel pressure regulator replaced?

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
Uhhhh....what color paint marks are on your new injectors? Was the fuel pressure regulator replaced?

I'm not sure about the paint marks but I know for a fact that the shop I took it to to replace the injectors did'nt replace the pressure regulator. In fact, they did such a ****** job on the whole project, they needed to do it twice because the first time, the passenger side injector was leaking like a sieve. Turned out to be a torn O-ring. I'm rebuilding my throttle body this week. I bought a kit from O'Reillys for $24. I might spring for an adjustable FPR too.

This is why I decided to do this job myself because even though I'm tired of working on vehicles, I'm even more tired of being raked over the coals.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I'm not sure about the paint marks but I know for a fact that the shop I took it to to replace the injectors did'nt replace the pressure regulator. In fact, they did such a ****** job on the whole project, they needed to do it twice because the first time, the passenger side injector was leaking like a sieve. Turned out to be a torn O-ring. I'm rebuilding my throttle body this week. I bought a kit from O'Reillys for $24. I might spring for an adjustable FPR too.

This is why I decided to do this job myself because even though I'm tired of working on vehicles, I'm even more tired of being raked over the coals.

OK, just make sure one has an orange, and the other has a red paint mark.
If they are white and green, they gave you 5.0 injectors.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn: