figureing out th350 leak.(front)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Good luck swims.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'm getting closer to getting this thing done and trying it out. We got the trans put in and bolted up yesterday morning, and tonight I got the lines hooked up and the dipstick in it, mod line hooked up, speedo cable, and trans crossmember in place.

So I still have to reinstall the starter, flexplate to tc bolts, plugs on the PS, wires, cap back on the dist, hookit up, hook up the battery and starter of course, driveshaft, PS header, and upper rad. hose, then the air cleaner. I think that's it lol, top it off with fluid, fire it up uncapped again, make the neighbors mad, top it off after rechecking the fluid several times, check for leaks, yadda, yadda, yadda, etc. it's about halfway there, not bad for about 4 hrs work in 2 days. I put in about 2-1/2 tonight and it was about 2 yesterday, considering it fought us the whole way, and th elines fought me today.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
huhhh?? What are you installing this in? I usually removed a Th350 in 45 minutes, and installed the new one in an hour? What's this with the starter off and PS off?? and exhaust too? No No NO !!! Shouldn' have had to do all that. Must be a mid to late 80s car built around the trans.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
85 monte carlo ss. and yea it had to come off, the headers sit under the outside front flanges of the th350 so if you drop it with the headers on there's no way to let it down in the front without hitting them unless you can turn it over. But take one side off and bam. I don't work on it by myself though and I use jacks on dirt, one under the oil pan and one under the trans pan. I play it safe, call me what you will lol. Then going up with the motor level it hit the firewall pinch weld and was holding me up, got the ps lined up and started had the esc dist plugin between the bellhousing holding it up, it just fought the whole way.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Good luck swims, slow and steady there pal. :waytogo:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea not to mention how hot it's been and I been sick so no heat for me. It's hot enough early in the mornings and late evenings on it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
ahh headers. Yep, on a passenger always have to pull passenger side header to get the trans out. I was reffering to trucks where you don't even have to jack them up. You add about 15-20 minutes to my time if I did a car and another 15 if it had headers. Slow, Safe and Sure is best without doubt.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea old mans truck was easy, headers and all in place pretty much, just slide down and out and right up in place and line up.

But......

I'M DONE!!!!!!!!

got it back going tonight. gotta check for leaks, only fired it up to make sure it would run. I gotta add some more trans fluid it only has 1-1/2 in the TC and about 4 in the pan, so I only had it going for a minute or two. So now it's a waiting game, wait for him to get more trans fluid and fuel. Then I can test it and see if it's leaking.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
so far no leaks, only ran it a little bit, need to put the back end up on blocks and run it a bit to be sure.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
put the back end on blocks last night and ran it some, checked it and no leaks. so hope all is good. gonna throw the pipes back on it sometime soon and get it down off the blocks.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
put the back end on blocks last night and ran it some, checked it and no leaks. so hope all is good. gonna throw the pipes back on it sometime soon and get it down off the blocks.
Did you piss the neighbors off? :roflbow:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
always LOL.

I didn't run it too hard, only up to around 65 or 70 not much rpms. I saved that for park when i cleaned it out a couple times.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
ran it more today and rechecked, all is well in the front area. I did notice a small drip trying to form on the speedo cable nut, one on the tail housings seal, and one on the 1-2 acc. cover bottom. So I took off the speedo cable installed an o-ring, and then popped the 1-2 acc. cover off and replaced that o-ring. I also left out the spring since the cover snap ring was fighting me so hard, so we'll see how hard she shifts now. It already has the b&m stage 2 kit in it so it shoul dbe pretty nasty from what HRPC said LOl.

After going back on his posts I may end up needing the cable seal for the speedo cable, I threw an o-ring on it but I may need that seal. I had an o-ring assortment, so i figured why not.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
switched out the speedo case thing(forgot about the parts trans I had) reinstalled the pipes and let her down off the blocks. Now I gotta run back to the parts store and buy adapters to fit th epipes and hook the taillpipes back up. I thought they were the same size, and was wrong lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blazermaniac