engine troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
Suggest, temporarily disconnecting the vacuum modulator tube from the trans (or intake) and see if the smoke stops. You probably can't go on the highway because you may not be able to go into 3rd gear.

Sorry, i don't have time to indicate where this is, but i'm sure someone else here can comment and/or point it out to you.

Michael Nielsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Suggest, temporarily disconnecting the vacuum modulator tube from the trans (or intake) and see if the smoke stops. You probably can't go on the highway because you may not be able to go into 3rd gear.

Sorry, i don't have time to indicate where this is, but i'm sure someone else here can comment and/or point it out to
Oddly yesterday and today I haven't seen the smoke but doesn't mean it won't show back up. I've been told that it could be the reason behind the smoke but i feel that if that were the case it would smoke out of both sides rather than just the one side.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
Are your true duals interconnected (with x or y pipe), or is the right side just running off the right side head, and left running only from the left head etc.?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
That exact sound my father used to call "spark knock" a lil timing tweak and better gas made it go away.

Cuz that's what that is.

Bad gas.
Cheap gas.
Octane too low.

In a FORD the fix is to unplug the SPOUT connector and it will stop doing that. It sets a check engine light and forces LIMP MODE by retarding the ignition timing three degrees and slowing advance.
Yes. Slowing the rate of advance. Think : heavier springs. Anybody remember that kit from the Blazer thread?

A sphincter says what?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If it "runs good" buy better gas OR make it run "worse" if you are cheap.
Best to not force that sound okay? Pre-ignition can harm your engine just like running mis-matched cylinder heads.
That is BAD and I insist you stop doing it.

Mmmkay?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Michael Nielsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Are your true duals interconnected (with x or y pipe), or is the right side just running off the right side head, and left running only from the left head etc.?
They are true duals each side running on their own.
Cuz that's what that is.

Bad gas.
Cheap gas.
Octane too low.

In a FORD the fix is to unplug the SPOUT connector and it will stop doing that. It sets a check engine light and forces LIMP MODE by retarding the ignition timing three degrees and slowing advance.
Yes. Slowing the rate of advance. Think : heavier springs. Anybody remember that kit from the Blazer thread?

A sphincter says what?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If it "runs good" buy better gas OR make it run "worse" if you are cheap.
Best to not force that sound okay? Pre-ignition can harm your engine just like running mis-matched cylinder heads.
That is BAD and I insist you stop doing it.

Mmmkay?

You must be registered for see images attach
This isn't a ford and it definitely doesn't have a computer that does that. That's part of the reason I bought this truck other than the looks is that it doesn't have a computer I have to worry about. If I could swap a set of heads on over night I would but that won't happen so for now it's just gonna have to keep working like it has been until I can get it fixed hopefully soon. Like I said I'll have to pull a set of my old heads down and look at the numbers and see how much it'll cost to get them redone or just go out and buy a set of rebuilt ready to bolt on 882 heads with 1.94/ 1.5 valves for 300 bucks

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I would not buy a pair of 882s for $300. That's a fine head and there are gobs of people reading THIS that have them on their truck but....it's nothing to write home about.
You'll be out damn near $400 by the time you get them on and turn the key.
I'm more interested in other options or reducing the $300 price to sayyyyyy $200 that is MUCH more reasonable.
Run some super 91 and let us know what happens.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Have you called any local machine shops? You might find something that matches for cheap. Almost any rebuilt matching set of sbc head will be fine for the time being. Just not vortec. Some of these guys will advertise on Craigslist, but I’d make sure by picking them up at their actual shop. You can get a piece of 1/8” x 2’ flat stock from Home Depot for a straight edge to check used heads. Just check it against a longer Empire level while you’re there for straightness. You can return it when you’re done using it.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Where are you located? I have a set of matching 350 heads currently for sale.....

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
First thing I would do is determine if the side that's smoking is the side that has the 305 head. If so, more than likely the compression has blown the head gasket. Not a complete blowout but enough to get coolant in the combustion chamber. The spark plug in the affected cylinder should confirm. I would get intake gaskets, head gaskets, then find out which one of your old heads is likely the best, or would require the least amount of work to get right. Then I would only put that one on. You might want to verify good compression on the other head to make sure that one don't need attention too, but the Subaru dealership I used to work at would freak me out, replacing one thing like that, like one piston or one valve spring. Definitely do your research. Get your casting numbers from your current heads and your old heads and research them and come up with a matching pair. Also I would put the step-up springs back to stock in your carb. There's too much other stuff going on with that motor without throwing in a mis-tuned carb as well.

Michael Nielsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would not buy a pair of 882s for $300. That's a fine head and there are gobs of people reading THIS that have them on their truck but....it's nothing to write home about.
You'll be out damn near $400 by the time you get them on and turn the key.
I'm more interested in other options or reducing the $300 price to sayyyyyy $200 that is MUCH more reasonable.
Run some super 91 and let us know what happens.
I haven't called the shop to see if they do core exchanges or not. I Just need to get down the road I'm not looking to make my truck a high horsepower beast.
Have you called any local machine shops? You might find something that matches for cheap. Almost any rebuilt matching set of sbc head will be fine for the time being. Just not vortec. Some of these guys will advertise on Craigslist, but I’d make sure by picking them up at their actual shop. You can get a piece of 1/8” x 2’ flat stock from Home Depot for a straight edge to check used heads. Just check it against a longer Empire level while you’re there for straightness. You can return it when you’re done using it.
I'm gonna do some calling around soon and see what the deal is.
Where are you located? I have a set of matching 350 heads currently for sale.....
I'm in Texas
First thing I would do is determine if the side that's smoking is the side that has the 305 head. If so, more than likely the compression has blown the head gasket. Not a complete blowout but enough to get coolant in the combustion chamber. The spark plug in the affected cylinder should confirm. I would get intake gaskets, head gaskets, then find out which one of your old heads is likely the best, or would require the least amount of work to get right. Then I would only put that one on. You might want to verify good compression on the other head to make sure that one don't need attention too, but the Subaru dealership I used to work at would freak me out, replacing one thing like that, like one piston or one valve spring. Definitely do your research. Get your casting numbers from your current heads and your old heads and research them and come up with a matching pair. Also I would put the step-up springs back to stock in your carb. There's too much other stuff going on with that motor without throwing in a mis-tuned carb as well.
I'm more than likely just gonna replace them both since I'm already gonna have it apart. But that is a lot of good info thank you.

I also have no idea what cam is in it so I don't need to go high horsepower because I don't want to replace the cam as well.

I have a set of 3973487X heads that I can post pics of and see what you guys think.

Michael Nielsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Lol? I have no experience with them but thought I had seen that number somewhere!
Well I've been reading about them and everything I've read said they are pretty good for a daily driver head. There is a shop near me that will surface and do a valve job for 60 bucks a head so I'm gonna call tomorrow and see what I can do

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I second the sentiments on the 882s. I’m sure they get the job done in a factory setup, but I’ve heard bad things in performance setups. That sheds light on their relative weakness and doesn’t justify the cost. I think you’ve corrected your course on that, but I just wanted to reiterate what Rusty Nail said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69