engine troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Nielsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The smoking and ping could be coolant in cyl from a blown head gasket or cracked head, also would explain the mismatched heads as someone already replaced 1 441 and said Im not doing it again when it started having problems. Or someone ran the **** out of the last engine blew it up /cracked head, dropped in the vortec short block from a truck with cracked heads, threw some heads on it that were laying around. The stock piston dish is 14cc and based on some guesses I have created what I be to the high compression scenario comparisons. With the stock vortec block and 58 cc head you are seeing this compression and the same spec with 76cc heads is the second pic.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach
I'm not 100% sure the engine was rebuilt when I got it I pulled the pan off and looked around and it was brand new in the bottom end it had never run before. So as soon as school gets out I'm gonna pull the heads and take a look. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and get the 882s rebuilt if it doesn't have dish pistons. But I'll probably wait until I pull the heads not 100% sure though. I appreciate your help a lot!

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I'm not 100% sure the engine was rebuilt when I got it I pulled the pan off and looked around and it was brand new in the bottom end it had never run before. So as soon as school gets out I'm gonna pull the heads and take a look. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and get the 882s rebuilt if it doesn't have dish pistons. But I'll probably wait until I pull the heads not 100% sure though. I appreciate your help a lot!
waiting till you pull the heads makes sense to me, only other way i would consider doing it is borrowing a bore scope and going in the spark plug hole to check and see if its dished.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You can buy a borescope for cheap on Amazon When does high school get out, a week and a half? It'd probably make it.

Michael Nielsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
waiting till you pull the heads makes sense to me, only other way i would consider doing it is borrowing a bore scope and going in the spark plug hole to check and see if its dished.
My dad actually has one that plugs into your phone so I might give that a try.
You can buy a borescope for cheap on Amazon When does high school get out, a week and a half? It'd probably make it.
I graduate may 24th I think it'll be okay for school and back I only go a max speed of 45 between school and my house nothing above 2000 rpm.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I meant the borescope would make it before you graduate, but sounds like you’ve got it covered.

Michael Nielsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I meant the borescope would make it before you graduate, but sounds like you’ve got it covered.
gotcha. You think the 882 heads will be okay for the time being? i looked them over to make sure there were no cracks and im headed to the machine shop tomorrow to pick up my other ones. so it would be nice to drop them off at the same time i get the others. for $200 its hard to beat for what it gets.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I think it'll be fine. That comparison that Kacy posted really makes me cringe so I think you can only go up from there. It's not gonna be a hot rod, but I think it'll be reliable once you work out the bugs. Maybe you won't have bugs, but I always do.

Michael Nielsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I think it'll be fine. That comparison that Kacy posted really makes me cringe so I think you can only go up from there. It's not gonna be a hot rod, but I think it'll be reliable once you work out the bugs. Maybe you won't have bugs, but I always do.
I hope so. Im gonna check the pistons as soon as the bore scope is charged up. thats ultimately what I need is for it to be reliable and if something goes wrong down the road i will be in college by then and will be working more than I am right now so ill be able to splurge and buy a little nicer set. more than likely the ones from summit. I really appreciate all the help from you guys so far!

Michael Nielsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Since performance is not an object here, and I’m a cheapskate, I’d explore the first option. Your cylinder head guy will do a top to bottom rebuild for $100 each so that would be a nice savings from the guy who’s trying to make some money on his rebuilt heads and even better than buying new heads. They should be inspected for rebuildability, and the seller should concede to this. If he does, and they check out, I’d offer him $100 and see if he takes it. Tell him something like you’re a student and in a bind from trying to fix a PO’s stupidity. If he doesn’t concede to having them inspected, I’d give him his walking papers because you shouldn’t gamble your money on a stranger’s assurances. If these heads are anything like fuelie heads, I’d make sure whatever you buy used has accessory holes on both heads since these are an old casting. If you can come out of this head thing at $300 plus gaskets, I’d say that’s a fair price for a set of fresh heads that (hopefully) won’t give you trouble anytime soon.
The guy said he would take a 100 if i went and got them tomorrow. i just asked about going to get them checked. I still think i should just go with the 882s its cheaper. and then save the money for later. on the other hand i could get a better set of heads from only an extra hundred bucks

Michael Nielsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
new heads are on. did it all over the weekend. Got the new heads friday night had the engine torn down and was able to paint the new heads on Saturday. i was able to get one side on before i had to leave the house saturday night then i got it all buttoned up on Sunday. it runs a million times better but it still has a shake at idle that i cant figure out. but it sounds totally different and you can feel the difference. ill post some pictures of the old heads it was bad. the 305 head had a 1.84 intake valve while the 350 had the 1.94. not to mention the size difference of the combustion chamber made me realize no wonder it ran like crap. but now i need to figure out the shake. i might just need new plugs i wanted to get new ones but my dad said the old ones were fine. so i cleaned them best i could and in they went. i have not heard the tick yet anymore so im sure that problem is solved

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Carb and timing adjustment may smooth it out, glad you're getting it sorted!

Michael Nielsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
@crazy4offroad thats not something i thought of ill give that a try as soon as i can! i still think I should get new plugs they are not that expensive.

Last edited:

Michael Nielsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I need ideas for other modifications to do to my truck my birthday is next week and want ideas to ask for as gifts my parents keep asking me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes