Seized engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zelph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 TBI
Hi guys.
After a $1800 tow bill got my truck home I want to start a diagnosis.
1989 K5 with stock 350 TBI /700R4 ( my dad says the engine isn’t original, but a “target replacement”?)
Oil is full, coolant level is full.
oil and filter changed prior to trip.

Driving approximately 65 mph in overdrive 3.73 31” tires
i heard a ticking sound that I thought was an exhaust leak. The noise quickly became a louder more metallic sound. The engine stopped, lost all power.
attempted to restart and it acts like the batter is dead. New battery and jumpstart do nothing. I can hear the starter motor engage. Removed the flex plate cover and can visually see the starter motor engage the flexplate but won’t spin.
I pulled all the plugs and tried spinning the motor with an 18” breaker bar on the crank pulley and I cannot move it.
Is my next step to drop the oil pan? Or am I just looking at getting a rebuild?

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
If it's locked up that tight I'd start planing on rebuild or replacement.

Does it have any water in it? Is there any oil in it? Did it overheat right before it seized?

Did you take a good look at the block to make sure it doesn't have a connecting rod sticking out the side?

Drain the oil into a clean pan to see if it looks like a glitter bomb went off in there, or if the oil has transformed into the forbidden chocolate milk.

It doesn't cost anything to drop the pan and look but I would be prepared for the worst if I were you.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ya, if you can't turn it with an 18" breaker with the plug out something serious went south in the engine. You can pull the pan but what you do or don't see is likely going to be academic. Draining the oil to see what it looks like could be informative with less work than a pan drop. Like Casey said I'd be planning on a rebuild.

85 Squarebody76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C1500
Engine Size
I would look for a GM long block crate motor If I were you.... never had much faith in Target motors myself.. IMO..

Zelph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 TBI
Did not overheat.
oil psi was just over 30 mark on the gauge.
I will drain the oil in the next couple days and report back with pics.
thanks guys.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Pull the oil filter, use some tin snips to cut it open. If it’s full of metal, there is no point in doing any diagnostic work with the engine in the truck.
You can also drain the oil from the pan and check for metal.

Several things can keep an engine from rotating. accessory drive items can do this on old v-belt vehicles but with an 18" breaker bar you should be able to rotate it. check for a seized w/p, alt, ps pump too. one can hope.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Pull the oil filter, use some tin snips to cut it open. If it’s full of metal, there is no point in doing any diagnostic work with the engine in the truck.

The ticking makes me think its seized and you are going to find valvetrain material in the filter, but Id also look for any other obvious issue. About 20 years ago, a friend of mine's Mitsubishi Eclipse started making a loud sound and wouldn't start. It was towed in to dealer and they said the motor was seized. It sat at dealer for 3-6 months as he refused to pay for new engine and they wouldn't warranty it as oil was very dirty and he was very bad on oil changes if ever. Finally, I told him to tow it to to my place and I'd take a look and confirm and help him with installing a rebuilt. I pulled the starter and found a piece of the starter nose casting had broken off and fell down locking the flywheel. I removed the piece, reinstalled the starter, changed oil/ filter/ and battery and he drove his car to dealer and they replaced his starter under warranty and reimbursed him for towing costs plus some minor compensation for 6 mos loss of use. We of course took pictures, had a legal letter drawn up, etc as well.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Maybe something let loose in the transmission? Whatever it is, you'll probably be better off with a whole replacement instead of trying to rebuild.

Zelph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 TBI
You can also drain the oil from the pan and check for metal.

Several things can keep an engine from rotating. accessory drive items can do this on old v-belt vehicles but with an 18" breaker bar you should be able to rotate it. check for a seized w/p, alt, ps pump too. one can hope.
I’ll pull the belt and see if the engine spins. That would be a dream outcome to have an accessory locked up instead of the engine.

Zelph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 TBI
Here’s the plugs as pulled. First two pics are odd cylinders and last 2 pics are even cylinders.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• FC8653E9-5C1E-4A31-8174-980B0A609C7F.jpeg
    FC8653E9-5C1E-4A31-8174-980B0A609C7F.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 33

Zelph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 TBI
I’ll get to the oil drain and filter tomorrow. I’ll get some pics of that as well.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Hi guys.
After a $1800 tow bill got my truck home I want to start a diagnosis.
1989 K5 with stock 350 TBI /700R4 ( my dad says the engine isn’t original, but a “target replacement”?)
Oil is full, coolant level is full.
oil and filter changed prior to trip.

Driving approximately 65 mph in overdrive 3.73 31” tires
i heard a ticking sound that I thought was an exhaust leak. The noise quickly became a louder more metallic sound. The engine stopped, lost all power.
attempted to restart and it acts like the batter is dead. New battery and jumpstart do nothing. I can hear the starter motor engage. Removed the flex plate cover and can visually see the starter motor engage the flexplate but won’t spin.
I pulled all the plugs and tried spinning the motor with an 18” breaker bar on the crank pulley and I cannot move it.
Is my next step to drop the oil pan? Or am I just looking at getting a rebuild?
rebuild.....just went through this on mine. Spun a main bearing.

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
The ticking makes me think its seized and you are going to find valvetrain material in the filter, but Id also look for any other obvious issue. About 20 years ago, a friend of mine's Mitsubishi Eclipse started making a loud sound and wouldn't start. It was towed in to dealer and they said the motor was seized. It sat at dealer for 3-6 months as he refused to pay for new engine and they wouldn't warranty it as oil was very dirty and he was very bad on oil changes if ever. Finally, I told him to tow it to to my place and I'd take a look and confirm and help him with installing a rebuilt. I pulled the starter and found a piece of the starter nose casting had broken off and fell down locking the flywheel. I removed the piece, reinstalled the starter, changed oil/ filter/ and battery and he drove his car to dealer and they replaced his starter under warranty and reimbursed him for towing costs plus some minor compensation for 6 mos loss of use. We of course took pictures, had a legal letter drawn up, etc as well.
OHHH, I bet that dealer was pissed.

Zelph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 TBI
Got the oil drained out. There was definitely of goldish tint to some of it. Might be hard to see in the pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76