engine bogs and dies when givin gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
awesome, never thought of doing that with it on the vehicle. Gonna have to give it a shot and hope I don't loose anything down the carb or intake LOL.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
awesome, never thought of doing that with it on the vehicle. Gonna have to give it a shot and hope I don't loose anything down the carb or intake LOL.
Keep one of those little magnets on a collapsible rod (like an old radio antenna) handy, those little clips and screws can be hard to hold.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Normally the junk in the accelerator pump orfice isn't going to cause this problem. That junk is usually fallen to the bottom and just sits there. Now if a piece is big enough it gets caught between the orfice wall and the plunger rubber, then it won't near as well since it has a leak. If its wedged in there that good, I'd think not likely to be able to break it free. Never know though. Worth a try. Sometimes you can get so much junk you can plug the hole where the fuel goes into the squirters.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
My last post was in reply to Swims, since he asked how to blow out the ports.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My last post was in reply to Swims, since he asked how to blow out the ports.

Yes sir, I'm aware of that. I am responding to Swims too. Guess I shoulda quoted. :High 5:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
lol well i'm not sure if you mean it gets in the acc. pump hole or whatever, if so not sure if that's what is causing it. His just runs good, then it idles down low and won't run like it's plugged up and if I choke it the idle comes back up nice and smooth. Unchoke it drops down and barely runs, sometimes it don't run just dies. But when it's cleaen or not acting up/plugged up the idle screw and mixture are right on, around 800 rpm in park and 600 in gear. Revving and everything is fine, it just drops off on idle and tries to if not fully dies. I can choke it, rev it and let off the choke and get it cleared out and running better again. Has a new filter on it, but I think the crap is already in the carb.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Sounds like a plugged idle circuit, take the top off and apply air pressure to the primary jets. This is exactly what mine was doing last year. Add in the fact you pull the choke and it straightens out tells me it's not getting enough idle air, which would indicate to me a plugged idle circuit. I used to have one of those fancy clear filters that you can clean/re-use on mine, but they don't trap near enough dirt. Get a disposable Delco filter. You may also want to try to clean out the fuel rail tube in the top of the carb too. Looking at the front of the carb the inlet is on the left but all the way on the right I pulled a ton of crap out of mine, it was unreal how much stuff got past the other filter.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, he's got something else plugged, and likely the idle circuit as C4 suggested, but it woudln't be the acc pump.You can idle smooth as can be and get down the highway smooth as can be with a bad accelerator pump, just so long as you take off very gradual and slowly build up your speed. All the acc pump does, is provide a shot of gas when you stab it, or take off from a light.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea I figured it was plugged up inside and not the acc. pump, but I figured it was clocking the gas off, maybe it is the air, I figured choking it gave it more fuel though to make it richer.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
yea I figured it was plugged up inside and not the acc. pump, but I figured it was clocking the gas off, maybe it is the air, I figured choking it gave it more fuel though to make it richer.

Normally on a carb, it wil Not get the gas blocked off. What is common is, you get a piece of debris in the needle and seat, then the seat can't shut the gas off and now you have a flooding problem. So if you ever see a carb just having gas overflow out of the float bowl, then you know its debris in the needle and seat, and you'd have to look down in the throat of the carb to see this. So then if its not doing that fouling the plug but it won't idle, then its likley the idle circuit is gummed up. A small hole about the size of paper clip or even smaller, so it doesn't take much to clog it. Then as described here, if it idles OK but not flooding, and bogs on take off or stabbing the throttle, then the acc pump rubber has likley gone bad. Those would be the 3 most common carb failures, everything else would be vacuum leaks from bad seals and gaskets. :grd:

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
85 and 87
Truck Model
K25- K25
Engine Size
350 and 350
Does your truck have dual tanks?

This is a longshot but i had a similar problem.

It started when i tried to pass someone who was going 20 mph under the speed limit, I downshifted and punched it and the engine bogged down like i was running out of gas but i had two full tanks.

It ran and drove fine until i gave it over half throttle but it got worse to where it acted like your truck is doing.

It drove me crazy trying to figure out what was wrong and after changing the fuel pump the distributor and switching to an old carb with no improvement it hit me...I went into the cab and hit the tank selector button and the truck started right up and i could rev it til it blew up if i chose to do so.

I`m still not sure what the hell happened but i think that maybe someone hit the switch with their knee and possibly caused the actuator to move only slightly and partially block the fuel lines? The actuator and switch still work perfectly so i`m sure they weren`t the culprit.

Hopefully it`s something as simple as that.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
fixed it!! fuel filter was pluged! thansk for your help guys

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's no fun !!! So we don't need a write up or anything. How simple can it be?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04