Driver Bed Side Sagging???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EightyEight

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Driver side (sagging side) is about 3/4 inch longer on spread from bolt to bolt. Could this be in the shackle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theres your issue, my geuss is the rear shackle got smack on a rock or something

Ozie P

Reaction score
First Name
Ozie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Theres your issue, my geuss is the rear shackle got smack on a rock or something
So I’ll be looking into ordering new shackles I guess. The driver side doesn’t seem like it’s pivoting with the spring.

Ozie P

Reaction score
First Name
Ozie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I know this may sound dumb and a lot of work but swap springs side to side and see if your lean goes the other way.
I’m to the point that I’ll try anything [emoji57]

EightyEight

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
So I’ll be looking into ordering new shackles I guess. The driver side doesn’t seem like it’s pivoting with the spring.

Make sure you inspect it thoroughly, the passenger side could be tight, or the driver's side could be stretched. Just make sure you find the right bent part before you order stuff of course.
-Good luck!

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Dumb question, but do you have the truck up off the tires (jack stands) prior to taking measurements? This way you can make sure to take side wall flex out of the equation.

Also, back in the early 90's, when I was young and dumb, I replaced the rear end and trailing arms in my El Camino. I snugged all the suspension bolts with the rear end in full droop. When I lowered it down it sat too high, so I did the normal thing back then and heated my springs to get the ride height I wanted. Fast forward a year or so to a gear swap. This time I didn't snug everything till it was on the ground. Now it was too low, so I went back to how I had it before.

If you did not when you installed the new springs, with the weight of the truck on the ground, loosen and tighten all your spring and shackle bushing bolts to remove all the pre-load in them. This will remove any bind in your bushings. It will also make the truck ride a little nicer.

Ozie P

Reaction score
First Name
Ozie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Dumb question, but do you have the truck up off the tires (jack stands) prior to taking measurements? This way you can make sure to take side wall flex out of the equation.

Also, back in the early 90's, when I was young and dumb, I replaced the rear end and trailing arms in my El Camino. I snugged all the suspension bolts with the rear end in full droop. When I lowered it down it sat too high, so I did the normal thing back then and heated my springs to get the ride height I wanted. Fast forward a year or so to a gear swap. This time I didn't snug everything till it was on the ground. Now it was too low, so I went back to how I had it before.

If you did not when you installed the new springs, with the weight of the truck on the ground, loosen and tighten all your spring and shackle bushing bolts to remove all the pre-load in them. This will remove any bind in your bushings. It will also make the truck ride a little nicer.
I’ll definitely try this and see what happens. Thank you

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
The angle on that left rear tire just don't look right.

How about some pics of the rear shock mount repair?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
In my 84 K10 SWB, it’s has about an 1.5” lower height to the driver side of the bed. It has a 6” Skyjacker Suspension lift on it but the shocks have definitely had their share of life. I made the assumption of it being spring sag in on the driver side so I swapped the rear springs out for some stock ones. However, nothing changed. Any ideas? I took several measurements from the frame to the ground and the entire length of the frame the driver side is lower. I need help ASAP.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Certinaly is a nice looking truck. I'm not thinking twisted frame, but possibly a bent axle tube or maybe the flange is bent. Or is it an optical illusion in the pics from the camera angle maybe? To me is sure looks like that left rear wheel is leaning in at the top. It actually kinda of looks that way on the rear shot photo too. :shrug: Anyone else seem to notice that? I wonder if that wheel offset could have something to do with that. They're sticking out there a bit.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
To me is sure looks like that left rear wheel is leaning in at the top. .

I noticed that too HRPC. It could be an illusion, or uneven ground the rear axle is resting on, but something to look into.
I have the same issue with my 85, so I'll be following this thread.

Beautiful truck Ozie, do you know the paint code?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There is also the Chevy lean. A bit of that can be normal for some reason, but that left rear wheel. I'm thinking what is causing that, get it rectified, and the lean will be fixed. I have a feeling they're connected.

I had a buddy one time, said something was wrong with his 76, it leaned on the driver said. After a few jokes of letting fat girls drive it, I told him, it's your damn driveway. He always said NO. Finally one day I told him, quitcher bitchin' dude, it's your damn driveway. It don't lean when it's parked in the street. He says, that's because the right wheels are in the gutter compensating. I told him, you know what, back that fukin truck up in the driveway. He gets out and looks then yells, WTF is going on here, now it's leaning to the right? :happy175: I said, yeah I know cuz it's your fukin driveway. He argued with me some more claiming his driveway is flat other than the front to rear slope. I told him, it's a nice day, why don't wash the damn thing. As soon as I seen the water flowing, I told him to look at the flow of the water off your driveway. He didn't get it. It was flowing off the left side. I told him that water is going that way because you have a damn crown in your driveway. We finally got out a 4 foot level and a 2x4 stud 7ft whatever, and I showed him he had about 4 inch drop from right to left in his driveway. FINALLY !!! I got him to believe me.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'd start with the easiest, loosen the shackles and bounce it a few times and see if it levels out.

Zoomalot

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado Shorty
Engine Size
350 Ram Jet
I don't think that's an optical illusion!
I would use a level from top to bottom of right hand wheel/tire and do the same on the left.
Has to be some major wear going on somewhere?

ItsMichaelH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Maybe the truck just wants to be a gangsta and is going for the gangster lean look ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevew7704