No brakes and unable to get one side to bleed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
So when I decided to go for a spin yesterday I quickly noticed I didn’t have any brakes. Didn’t see any leaks and front and back of the reservoir had fluid. Rear wasn’t all the way to the top. Along with the rear rubber piece of the lids gasket being extended all the way out. Decided to bleed the brakes starting with the passenger side front. Using the gravity method with a clear hose connected to the top. Didn’t see any signs of air as it seemed to bleed pretty fast. Went to the driver side nothing. 2 hours later no signs of anything. Unscrew the bleeder. Pushed a drill bit through the top and the side hole at the bottom. Didn’t get any trash or dirt from it and was clean. Put back in with a tube on it and left it over night. Finally warmed up enough to mess with this morning. There were no signs of it bleeding when I checked it. Along with reservoirs still at the levels I left them. Took the banjo connection off had plenty of fluid come out of the caliper and watched it come out of the banjo connection for a few seconds before reconnecting it. I’ve left the bleeder open for over 5 hours now since I reconnected the banjo. Reservoirs don’t look like they’ve changed and no sign of fluid in the clear tubing attached to the bleeder. Going to leave it overnight and check it in the morning before I go to work. Any ideas or advice on what I need look at or do?

PS: Wasn’t long ago I changed the rubber brake line, and caliper on that side.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Probably dirt inside the caliper, have you tried pressing on the pedal. Should be able to push whatever is in there out. Likely needs rebuilt calipers.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Have you pulled the bleeder completely out to see if you get fluid then???

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
A pedal to the floor is an indication of air in the system and/or a failed master cylinder. One reservoir could be down slightly due to the caliper piston extending to compensate for pad wear. Look for hard line leaks along the frame and junctions.
Applying brake pressure with the bleeder completely removed should be enough, but just to add, today's typical rubber brake hose is not your father's brake hose.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Quick update, (since nobody ever updates with their solution)pressing the brake instead of trying to gravity bleed seems to have done the trick. Haven’t drove it to know for sure since the drive shaft is out. So I don’t know for sure if I have brakes though, but I have fluid out the bleeder. Used a long quick grip clamp to hold the brake down when I closed the bleeder. Just swapped what side the finger was on to push instead of pull. Excuse the mess in the photo as I have tools, parts and a lot of cleaning left to do, and not much time.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef