Crew cab worth fixing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Don't matter what time zone the site is, go to your profile and Preferences and set your time zone then all times will show up as your time.
Yes, thanks. Didn't know you could do that.

cooperhw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
1978, 1981, 1983
Truck Model
C-10, K-20, C-20
Engine Size
5.7L
I would probably trash it myself, but I say that because I don't need it.

Hell, I fixed this 68 cab a couple years ago. About 30 people had come to look at this motorhome for sale and passed because the cab (back) was so bad. I saw a lemon and knew I could make lemonade out of it.
So it boils down to how much you need it and how hard would it be to replace it with all the time, money, etc. included.
Sure feels good to save one, but,

You must be registered for see images attach

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I wouldnt trash it, but I wouldnt pay someone to fix it, either. I'd grab some tools and spend some money on patch panels and try to learn how to weld. As mentioned, its just a puzzle. A man sized puzzle. This of course hinging on having the space to leave a cab sitting for an unknown amount of time.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I wouldnt trash it, but I wouldnt pay someone to fix it, either. I'd grab some tools and spend some money on patch panels and try to learn how to weld. As mentioned, its just a puzzle. A man sized puzzle. This of course hinging on having the space to leave a cab sitting for an unknown amount of time.
I believe us in rust states have different levels of decay we would fix....all as I know I've brought stuff back from the dead that many wouldn't have.lol

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I believe us in rust states have different levels of decay we would fix....all as I know I've brought stuff back from the dead that many wouldn't have.lol

Thats a fact!

The floors on that cab are pretty shot but the rockers are in better shape than my old burb. At least theres something to build off of there.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Don't matter what time zone the site is, go to your profile and Preferences and set your time zone then all times will show up as your time.

Haha who would have guessed much better thanks!

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I would probably trash it myself, but I say that because I don't need it.

Hell, I fixed this 68 cab a couple years ago. About 30 people had come to look at this motorhome for sale and passed because the cab (back) was so bad. I saw a lemon and knew I could make lemonade out of it.
So it boils down to how much you need it and how hard would it be to replace it with all the time, money, etc. included.
Sure feels good to save one, but,

Wow you really had some work to do on those. Look great man!

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well guys first I actually weld for a living but I tig aluminium. Can and have steel welded though. I don't have a welder at home need to get one! Just never welded on body part or done that kind of work. I guess I'll hang on to it a while more maybe someone will want to fix it. I just don't want to put the time energy or money in to it when I've got a couple others that need work that I want to keep you know? But you guys are right it would be good practice! Had one guy call wanted it but no frame maybe I need to hold on to it till have have the 2wheel frame ready to sell and try to sell it all together

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have to ask what flippin time zone is this site in? Drives me crazy when I look at the times on here!
Time zone is whatever you set it to. If your location wasn't a secret I could set it for you, but US has 5 different time zones. A location is also helpful when people are looking at things you might be trying to sell, or in case they have parts or are close to you when you need help. You don't have to spell out your exact location, a state and maybe a general vicinity will help, like Eastern TN or Central MI etc.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Do you have a title to that cab? Being a crew cab I'd say someone can use it and make it good again. If it was a standard cab, I'd say there's enough standard cabs around in good shape that it's not worth the labor.

Again, location matters alot. In MI or PA that's probably not all that bad. In AZ, CA or TX is pretty bad compared to what else can be had.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Do you have a title to that cab? Being a crew cab I'd say someone can use it and make it good again. If it was a standard cab, I'd say there's enough standard cabs around in good shape that it's not worth the labor.

Again, location matters alot. In MI or PA that's probably not all that bad. In AZ, CA or TX is pretty bad compared to what else can be had.

Yes I do. see that's the reason I asked if it was a regular cab it would have been trashed no question but I know the crews are harder to find that's why I thought might be able to sell it. Wanted to know what you guys think!

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The other thing I was wondering about is I know the rust could be fixed but it's got some dents in the back and a couple on the roof I don't know looks like whatever was on the truck came over the back part of the cab put dents in the back two corners

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
So I picked up a parts truck little bit ago. Cab is pretty shot in my eyes but wanted to see what you guys think before I scrap it. I've got a pretty decent crew cab so I don't need it. Have it on cl but getting sick of looking at it and not much interest. Here's the pics plus some dents in the roof.

clean title for it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88