Crappy running 85 GMC.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The coil is new from the TSP dizzy you got from Clean right??? Cuz a coil can create this problem you are having. It works fine, then once it gets hot, it starts losing it power and will cause hesitation. Maybe for **** and giggles put in your old coil and see what happens. Also, make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks at the intake.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
The coil is new from the TSP dizzy you got from Clean right??? Cuz a coil can create this problem you are having. It works fine, then once it gets hot, it starts losing it power and will cause hesitation. Maybe for **** and giggles put in your old coil and see what happens. Also, make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks at the intake.

Its not the coil, I had the same problem with the old distributor. I guess its time to get a vacuum gauge.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
This is probably a stupid question but can a new coil be defective?? :shrug:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Very Very Very rare, but yes. Its also very rare one of these coils goes bad. But, he has emiminated that as the problem since he's had 2 differant coils on it and the problem is unchanged. Now he knows its not the carb either.

Do yourself a favor Imann, if you have a voltmeter, check your voltage to the dizzy hot wire. Check it with Key on motor NOT running, and check it with motor running.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
ABsoloutely right about a hot coil acting up, like something inside expands and looses a connectione or something, like maybe an internal winding. I have dealt with that in the past. Then once it cools down it runs fine. So if you test it while it's cold it will show it's fine. I even had that problem with my last boat motor coil. Sumbitch ran on once cylinder til it got hot then it ran fine on 2 cyl after warm up.

Here on the coil under the flywheel, there was a fine hairline crack in that hardnened gel **** they use to seal a circuit. You could barely see it and it made all the difference in the world what temp that circuit had to heat to to close that gap and make the connection and run. If somebody didn't menton to me on a forum to check the coil both hot and cold while testing, I would never had found that. Just something to keep in mind.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
This is probably a stupid question but can a new coil be defective?? :shrug:
You see the retards working behind most of today's parts counters, anything could be possible dude.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I know this is a pain in the ass for Iman but in the end when the problem is solved we will have some great info in this thread :)

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I just thought of something this morning, what if the timing chain is stretched? Yesterday I let the truck sit and idle for a while, I drove it around the parking lot and mashed on the metal, it did not speed up but back fired out of the exhaust instead...... Im going to get a vacuum guage in a little bit and after that start pulling out plugs for inspection.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I just thought of something this morning, what if the timing chain is stretched? Yesterday I let the truck sit and idle for a while, I drove it around the parking lot and mashed on the metal, it did not speed up but back fired out of the exhaust instead...... Im going to get a vacuum guage in a little bit and after that start pulling out plugs for inspection.
Yah, throw a vacuum guage on the manifold and see what that says. Is this a stock motor or is is camed up?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Is that an HEI dizzy then?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
well let me see, have you switched the hei vac. line to the other side? one's ported or timed the other is full vac.

Have you tried the adjustable vac. can on the dist. like tighten or loosen the screw in it?

Have you tried to give it more base timing or less?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
well let me see, have you switched the hei vac. line to the other side? one's ported or timed the other is full vac.

Have you tried the adjustable vac. can on the dist. like tighten or loosen the screw in it?

Have you tried to give it more base timing or less?
:popcorn:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
man do you love popcorn lol.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
man do you love popcorn lol.

His favorite is Pop Secret!!

I think that instead of putting "popcorn" between the colons (":") we should just make it to where you type :89Sub: in there and the popcorn comes up :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJinAZ