choosing mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
They're in the $300-400 range.. ouch...

want, but definitely need a cheap alternative for the time being...

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hmmm.. Was just thinking.. I could mount 2-3 monitors above the mirror on the cab roof or hanging down from it...

Might be able to get that done for less than $50 including cameras.. Would just need to make a small, attractive housing for the cameras out of ABS, mount them on the front fenders, and an ABS mount for the monitors...

Gearz B Turning!

Last edited:

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Somebody stop me if others have tried this and it's a dead end.. LOL

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Because I can't afford to back into anything.... or change lanes into anything.. and it ain't easy to turn around and look after 45 years in the construction industry... (let's just say I have an at home traction device and leave it at that.. ;) )

I have to put money into the drive line (plus some home repairs/upgrades this summer and have to stockpile as much ammo as I can before the new commiefornya ammo registration laws take affect in January) , and need every penny I can get towards that stuff... I'm buying time..

Often, not wasting money on temp solutions is a luxury of those that have plenty of it..

Why do I have to explain, anyways? Shouldn't "I need a temp solution" be good enough? I mean, who knows my situation, desires, plans, etc. better than I do?
:shrug:

Sheesh..:popcorn:

But, I 'am' considering biting the bullet now.... I would still like an answer to my OP though... :Insane:
:cheers:

It could be that noone has done what you've asked in your OP and that's why noone has responded.

I too have a bad neck and another ailment I don't discuss, so I get it. And also worked construction doing alot of overhead framing and hanging of drywall many years. So I really do get it. :cheers: But, because I'm there with you, I'd have to say that's all the more reason to have a little bigger mirrors with a wider view range and a good convex blind spot mirror too. As you said, you can't afford to back into someone, and even worse, wipe someone out in a lane change at 70mph. I think I'd be more concerned about that than how my truck looked either with biggo dumbo paddle mirrors or cute little sporty mirrors. Of course that's just my opinon and it's your truck to do with as you please.

One thing about GMSB, we're all about making your truck your own whether we like something you do to it or not. As I mentioned, the whole mirror thing has gone back and forth from about day 1 of this forum starting and we still give each other **** back and forth about mirrors, so you're just new to the game, but I suggest sit back and enjoy it and don't take it personal. Another thing, most of the guys here are pretty damn honest and have your best interest in mind and they will certainly give their opinion or make suggestions that may or not be better for your situation. In all honesty, I hear a temporary fix for a mirror, I'm thinking coat hangers and duct tape. You know you could always take your wife's make up compact with a hinged lid and mirror in it, and duct tape that to the vent glass. :shrug: It could work you know. Think of all the money you'd save till you make up your mind for a permanent fix??? :grd:

RThiel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robb
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
Well since we're here, and we're beating this horse, does anybody have any input on what bullet shaped mirrors fit nice, without a whole lot of modification? I'm thinking like some thing from the mid '70's- early '80's, life F-body or G-body mirrors. I haven't ever dicked with them, and junkyards (and car scene in general) are pretty pathetic in Wyoming, so before I pick some up on ebay I'd like to know what works. I'm not sure if the base can be ground to a different angle to work with squarebody doors, or what else I would need to do.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
One thing about GMSB, we're all about making your truck your own whether we like something you do to it or not. As I mentioned, the whole mirror thing has gone back and forth from about day 1 of this forum starting and we still give each other **** back and forth about mirrors, so you're just new to the game, but I suggest sit back and enjoy it and don't take it personal. Another thing, most of the guys here are pretty damn honest and have your best interest in mind and they will certainly give their opinion or make suggestions that may or not be better for your situation.

I'm not taking it personal.. even a little... That's the trouble with this medium... No one can hear inflections in tone or facial expressions, body language or all that.. The tone intended is often not received by the reader, and often, every reader hears the convo in their head completely different form the next guy...

I'm pretty thick skinned.. I was simply trying to steer things back on topic..

In all honesty, I hear a temporary fix for a mirror, I'm thinking coat hangers and duct tape. You know you could always take your wife's make up compact with a hinged lid and mirror in it, and duct tape that to the vent glass. :shrug: It could work you know. Think of all the money you'd save till you make up your mind for a permanent fix??? :grd:

LOL... I think I'll spend a 'little' more than that.. It's not like when I'm through with them, they can't be used elsewhere on something else later, or sold, or whatever...

Anyonne tried the camera method?

Last edited:

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well since we're here, and we're beating this horse, does anybody have any input on what bullet shaped mirrors fit nice, without a whole lot of modification? I'm thinking like some thing from the mid '70's- early '80's, life F-body or G-body mirrors. I haven't ever dicked with them, and junkyards (and car scene in general) are pretty pathetic in Wyoming, so before I pick some up on ebay I'd like to know what works. I'm not sure if the base can be ground to a different angle to work with squarebody doors, or what else I would need to do.

It would be nice if these sellers included a picture (or at least drawing) that showed what the mirrors they are selling look like mounted to a vehicle...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It would be nice if these sellers included a picture (or at least drawing) that showed what the mirrors they are selling look like mounted to a vehicle...

I certainly agree with that. :cheers: I don't think anyone has tried cameras. I'm sure they'd have posted that up if they did, and I haven't seen it here.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm not taking it personal.. even a little... That's the trouble with this medium... No one can hear inflections in tone or facial expressions, body language or all that.. The tone intended is often not received by the reader, and often, every reader hears the convo in their head completely different form the next guy...

I'm pretty thick skinned.. I was simply trying to steer things back on topic..

LOL... I think I'll spend a 'little' more than that.. It's not like when I'm through with them, they can't be used elsewhere on something else later, or sold, or whatever...

Anyonne tried the camera method?

You're right, no expression can cause some issues for sure. Especially around here with all of our sarcasm... as in...

I'm really beginning to think you're just to damn hard to please. I mean, I'd prefer a round mirror myself, but even I can compromise.

Attachments

• TecMirror 002.jpg
    TecMirror 002.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 188

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
You're right, no expression can cause some issues for sure. Especially around here with all of our sarcasm... as in...

I'm really beginning to think you're just to damn hard to please. I mean, I'd prefer a round mirror myself, but even I can compromise.

LOL @ your picture...

Sometimes I'm really easy to please... Sometimes, not so much!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm just thankful ole' girl didn't like that shade of blush or I'da never got that mirror from her.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
I ordered "THESE MIRRORS" for a temporary solution ($5 each from summit)

They're plastic, and I have to use screws to mount them, but they're decent size, not too ugly, and cheap.. 'almost' perfect for temporary...

Attachments

• side-view-mirrors.jpg
    side-view-mirrors.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sure can't beat that. That's cheaper than a make up compact and a roll of duct tape too.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Sure can't beat that. That's cheaper than a make up compact and a roll of duct tape too.

'LOT" cheaper than quality duct tape....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk