choosing mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I seen a local guy who built a pretty nice truck-he used 88?-92 Caprice power mirrors and they were painted the same silver as the truck-looked damn nice--I had to do a quadruple look walking in the parking lot lol!

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The Caprices had manual remote mirrors until 1990, but I think they switched to power mirrors in 1991.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Is there a "Show your truck mirrors" thread somewhere?

Yep, it's over there with the show your dick thread, but I avoid that one.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
Yep, it's over there with the show your dick thread, but I avoid that one.

Good call!

Just show you know, I carry and if I see a snake, I shoot it.. so don't get any ideas....
:gathering:

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
I seen a local guy who built a pretty nice truck-he used 88?-92 Caprice power mirrors and they were painted the same silver as the truck-looked damn nice--I had to do a quadruple look walking in the parking lot lol!

Sheesh, now I gotta go check out caprice mirrors and probably confuse myself even more..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sheesh, now I gotta go check out caprice mirrors and probably confuse myself even more..

:laughing1: Ditto !!! There's only a couple here that I'd worry about but I'm sure they know better.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Those are actually pretty nice looking.. Where did he have them mounted? Looks like they can't be mounted right next to a vertical surface, like the way the windows are in relation to the doors on a square body..

Were they ahead of the window/door? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding how they mount...

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
But I really want something small and unobtrusive as possible, yet not breaking the bank, as they are likely to be temporary anyways...

When I get the permanent ones a year or two from now...

Dude, think about it... Why are going to waste your time and money on temp ones? Simply run without mirrors for a year or two. If you don't like that idea, figure out what you want for permanent ones and do those the first time. You are wasting money it sounds like you don't have on anything you do temporarily. You should be figuring out your permanent plan now anyways, BEFORE you complete the bodywork.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Dude, think about it... Why are going to waste your time and money on temp ones? Simply run without mirrors for a year or two. If you don't like that idea, figure out what you want for permanent ones and do those the first time. You are wasting money it sounds like you don't have on anything you do temporarily. You should be figuring out your permanent plan now anyways, BEFORE you complete the bodywork.

Sound advice there.

Especially since you mentioned you were looking at those Ford Type. Whatever you get, you're likely to be putting holes in your doors, soooooo pick your permanent choice so you don't make swiss cheese of the doors changing mirrors like women change purses.

:wave: G79S !!! Been Awhile buddy. Drop in more often.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sound advice there.

Especially since you mentioned you were looking at those Ford Type. Whatever you get, you're likely to be putting holes in your doors, soooooo pick your permanent choice so you don't make swiss cheese of the doors changing mirrors like women change purses.

:wave: G79S !!! Been Awhile buddy. Drop in more often.

:wave: :cheers: I was on a self-imposed ban from forums for a while to spend more free time with the family. And now that the weather is warming up, the truck while be coming out of hibernation so I thought I would see what was happening around here.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
:wave: :cheers: I was on a self-imposed ban from forums for a while to spend more free time with the family. And now that the weather is warming up, the truck while be coming out of hibernation so I thought I would see what was happening around here.

Good reason to cut back on time here. Many have cut back, some way back. Usually coming into Spring and Summer, we slow down due people being at lakes and parks not at home sitting on the computer. Hopefully other trucks will come out of hibernation too and some will be back a bit more often. :waytogo:

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size

Because I can't afford to back into anything.... or change lanes into anything.. and it ain't easy to turn around and look after 45 years in the construction industry... (let's just say I have an at home traction device and leave it at that.. ;) )

I have to put money into the drive line (plus some home repairs/upgrades this summer and have to stockpile as much ammo as I can before the new commiefornya ammo registration laws take affect in January) , and need every penny I can get towards that stuff... I'm buying time..

Often, not wasting money on temp solutions is a luxury of those that have plenty of it..

Why do I have to explain, anyways? Shouldn't "I need a temp solution" be good enough? I mean, who knows my situation, desires, plans, etc. better than I do?
:shrug:

Sheesh..:popcorn:

But, I 'am' considering biting the bullet now.... I would still like an answer to my OP though... :Insane:
:cheers:

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
If I can figure out where to mount a couple of 5"-7" TFT monitors in the cab, that doesn't look retarded, I will go ahead and do the camera method....

Tempted to build a custom rear view mirror (mounted in the normal place on the windshield), that has three monitors in it (left - back up - right), if I can find three affordable very small monitors.. Seems like all the cheap ones are in the 5"-7" range....

I was thinking maybe I could mount them on the inside door panels near the top front of each door... But I really don't want to hassle with wiring through the hinge area if I can avoid it...

Cameras are super cheap...

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Something like this would be the hot ticket... (Kinda afraid to look and see what it costs, though)..

I only need three, but I love the way this works.. and it acts like a regular rear view mirror when the monitors are off...

6 camera/3 monitor rear view mirror

Maybe I can look at this as a long term solution....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boukeelynn