choosing mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
having a tough time with choosing the mirrors..

I was looking at these 'peep mirrors' on eBay that don't cost too much, but I'm a little concerned about the clip on means of attachment and where they would best be positioned so that I'm not looking through the window vent post or anything to see them.....

Has anyone used them that can weigh in on how they worked for them? Did they offer enough visibility? Any problems? What are the pro/cons of straight arms vs curved arms? Will either work satisfactorily on a square body?

They just clip to the edge of the door, right?

I was thinking of getting the ford style mirrors with the folding triangle, but for now, I would like to get away from new holes in the door, and wait till I've got all the body work done and existing holes all filled before settling on something permanent..

Attachments

• peep mirror - straight arm.JPG
    peep mirror - straight arm.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 241
  • peep mirror - curved arm.JPG
    peep mirror - curved arm.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 286

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
These are the ford style mirrors I'm talking about...

Attachments

• mirrors - pilot side mirrors.jpg
    mirrors - pilot side mirrors.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 250

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
:whymewhyme: Not the dreaded mirror discussion again?!?!?! :shrug:

So what's wrong with the OEM Dumbo or Paddle mirror style?

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
:whymewhyme: Not the dreaded mirror discussion again?!?!?! :shrug:

LMAO! I figured I was probably treading where others had gone before with this one!

: So what's wrong with the OEM Dumbo or Paddle mirror style?

Beside the fact that I hate them.. and the small classy OEMs are too pricey for something that might end up being temporary...

I was even thinking of maybe making some sort of small surface mount housing for a camera, that I would mount under the vent window, and hook up to a monitor... I mean, I'd rather have as little trim doo dads as possible on the truck at all.. including mirrors...
:hmm:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I can tell you this much from personal experience. The 80-97 Ford convex style mirrors have gotten quite rusty on our 21 year old Ford. This is a southeastern truck that has spends and has spent most of its time in a carport two hours inland from the Gulf of Mexico. We've also got a beautiful set of square body convex mirrors that were in Katrina, and I haven't seen a nicer set of mirrors than those. That speaks to their comparative resilience for me. The Fords are easier to adjust; I'll give them that.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
I can tell you this much from personal experience. The 80-97 Ford convex style mirrors have gotten quite rusty on our 21 year old Ford. This is a southeastern truck that has spends and has spent most of its time in a carport two hours inland from the Gulf of Mexico. We've also got a beautiful set of square body convex mirrors that were in Katrina, and I haven't seen a nicer set of mirrors than those. That speaks to their comparative resilience for me. The Fords are easier to adjust; I'll give them that.

I had a pair of those ford mirrors on my ranger 4x4 about 25 years ago...

I liked them.. The mount itself was bulletproof, and if you had to go between something tight, you could completely fold them against the truck, and then fold them back out afterwards without losing adjustment... I don't remember them being convex though.. The mirrors themselves were flat...

But I really want something small and unobtrusive as possible, yet not breaking the bank, as they are likely to be temporary anyways...

When I get the permanent ones a year or two from now, I might even get some that are heated and have turn indicators in them.. but that's a ways off...

I'm also considering building some custom ones as the permanent ones, but don't even have time for that right now... I just need to get something cheap, easy, and functional, hopefully that doesn't require putting a bunch of new holes in the door (already has a bunch I have to fill)

I really like those small OEM style ones (picture below), but again they're too pricey for what is likely to be temporary...

Just wondering if the clip on peep jobbers work okay and if people are happy with them.. ie, are they 'safe' to use or do they leave massive blind spots or what?

Attachments

• small mirrors.JPG
    small mirrors.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 231

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
These look like a nice compromise, but they're over a $100 delivered, and I just can't spend that kind of money on mirrors right now.. got too much drive line stuff I need to focus on first...

Attachments

• mirrors with turn indicators.JPG
    mirrors with turn indicators.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 265
  • mirrors with turn indicators 2.JPG
    mirrors with turn indicators 2.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 288

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
LMAO! I figured I was probably treading where others had gone before with this one!

Beside the fact that I hate them.. and the small classy OEMs are too pricey for something that might end up being temporary...

I was even thinking of maybe making some sort of small surface mount housing for a camera, that I would mount under the vent window, and hook up to a monitor... I mean, I'd rather have as little trim doo dads as possible on the truck at all.. including mirrors...
:hmm:

You don't even know. I think the mirror controversy has been here on GMSB since the first of operation. This one is on your side @Old77. You know I'd just take his mancard soooo he's all yours.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
These look like a nice compromise, but they're over a $100 delivered, and I just can't spend that kind of money on mirrors right now.. got too much drive line stuff I need to focus on first...

I'd just go with some OEM's. Either the dumbos or what you call "Classy" :puke: Never know, someone here in the brotherhood might have a set your looking for. Around here, occasionally things are even swapped or donated for the cost of shipping. :shrug: And damn sure don't go with them damn Ford looking things.

@RetroC10Sport might even and idea on some other GM vehicle, power heated with turn signals in them. No telling what he might come up with for a suggestion.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'd just go with some OEM's. Either the dumbos or what you call "Classy" :puke: Never know, someone here in the brotherhood might have a set your looking for. Around here, occasionally things are even swapped or donated for the cost of shipping. :shrug: And damn sure don't go with them damn Ford looking things.

@RetroC10Sport might even and idea on some other GM vehicle, power heated with turn signals in them. No telling what he might come up with for a suggestion.

Some people like lots of chrome, trim, and all sorts of doo dads sticking off their trucks/cars...

I don't.. I want a minimalist approach to this truck.. I want as little trim, chrome, shiny as possible on it... I'm going for a very clean outside, very dark flat or eggshell gray, with a thin dark blood red pin stripe down the crease on the sides... Bumpers, grills, etc. will be a gloss or semi gloss black...

I don't want big ole honking mirrors sticking out of the thing.. Like I said, if I can figure out how to pull it off, I'd actually prefer small cameras on each door (or front fender, maybe even inside the front bumper where it wraps around to the side), in a small black plastic housing...

I just don't know what to do with the monitors that would work in a way that I'd like...

I was actually thinking of making 'skeleton hands' mirrors, but I think I'll save that for the rat rod.. ;)

In any case, we're getting kinda far away from my OP...

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So I take it that Dodge 1 ton mirrors are out of the question.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
So I take it that Dodge 1 ton mirrors are out of the question.

I dunno, what do they look like? lol

Those big mirrors with three arms are definitely out.. So are the ones for seeing around a fifth wheel trailer....
:Caffeine:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Those are the ones. The ones that smack kids in the back of the head as they're walking to school.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Is there a "Show your truck mirrors" thread somewhere?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knep115