Buying engine crane/hoist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Calling the guy back tomorrow to make arrangements to go get it.

Yeah, I think I would. I kinda like the wide stance on the base too, and being squared instead of angeled. That is very helpful when wanting to set an engine down on a cart to roll it away. Sometimes its a bit challenging with mine, so I have to block the cart up so it goes over the top of the hoist outriggers.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
wtf is a race track hoist and does it really freakin' matter? a hoist is a hoist, as long as it's not cheap thin metal or busted ram.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
What I would consider a race track hoist would be made of high-strength aluminum alloy and lift a smallbock in 3 pumps of the jack handle!!! :lol:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
wtf is a race track hoist and does it really freakin' matter? a hoist is a hoist, as long as it's not cheap thin metal or busted ram.

I think HRPC explained that in post #91 on a race track hoist.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
eh didn't see it, but I'm with c4or there should be lightweight and have a motor out in like 4-5 pumps at best.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So today was the big day. Did you get it Dave???

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I still have no idea WTF a race trrack hoist is compared to a reg. one.

if it's being square, then i got one, mines square. I used the wider front ones too, even had some that the legs pulled way out on them, think it was a carolina one and if so it could lift a house.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
you guys talking about the foldable hoists being junk, i have one identical to the Harbor Freight piece... haven't had a bit of problems out of it in the 10 years i've owned it. i've pulled and reinstalled 4 engines in the last year alone, and used it to lift countless things, including my C2500 at one point. proper use, and maintnance, or lack thereof, will make or break any tool. mine is wiped down any time it gets dirty, is never left outside, never used on an irregular surface, and all of the bolts are checked for torque pretty regularly. its easily the best $200 i ever spent.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know of another person who feels the same way you do GD. And his, I have been there when he used it, and it did seem sturdy, and I was impessed with the idea it has 6 wheels intead of only 4 like my fixed unit has.
Is it possible you have a 2 ton foldable?? Maybe the 2 ton Foldable units are OK, and its the 1 ton foldable units that don't seem so sturdy. :shrug:

But nonetheless, if Dave can get that Bluebird hoist for $75, I don't think he can go wrong. EVen if he decided he don't like it, he can probalbly sell it for $100, or at least get his $75 back. NOTE TO DAVE: If you go buy that thing, see if the guy has an engine there that he will let you lift about 4 feet off the ground. OR if you have a motor in back of a truck, lift it up about foot off the bed floor to make sure the hoist jack is functioning OK. Just cuz a jack can lift a foot off the floor, doesn't mean its going to work at higher points in the ram, so I'd try to test it before I paid for it agreed to take it. Unless you buy it as worse case scenario, you'll spend $55 for a new 8 ton Jack at HF.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
GD must have got lucky, I wouldn't buy **** from HF anymore. I'm not saying they cant make a decent hammer or punch set, but there's some things they are just flooding the market with pure fuggin JUNK. **** Harbor Freight, **** China. Buy American any time you can. And where you cant, DONT BUY HF!!! Just my $0.02 take it or leave it. Also, how far you extend the boom out makes a difference on the lifting capacity. Depending on the unit, the farthest out position is only good for 500-1,000 pounds, while the shortest position is good for 2,000-4,000 pounds. Of course, shortening the boom limits how high you can lift something, so it's a trade off. Best to get something with a higher rating to start off with, or swap in a higher tonnage ram like HRPC did.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
My hoist is a fold up type, and I never had a problem with it. Mines the duralast kind too. Not HF. I have no complaints with it at all. I put the motor and trans combo in my 88 with it, pulled the motor and trans from the 85 mc and the 84 c10, swapped motors and put back in the combo in both. I also pulled and put my bed back on my 88 with it.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
mine is actually a Cummins brand, similar to HF, but it was a traveling tent sale deal rather than a brick and mortar store. 100% identical to the one on the shelf at HF. it is a 2000# unit, says so right on the boom. 1000# at the furthest point out, 1500#, and 2000 at the shortest point.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I just got home from picking up the hoist. The legs on this thing are 6ft long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS