Buying engine crane/hoist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I'm shopping around for a engine crane/hoist. How good of quality is that fold up one from Harbor Freight? It has a 1,000LB capicity. Its $260 after tax and shipping.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
1,000 pounds might not be enough if you pull engine/trans at once. When I went to pick up my D60 we like to never got it loaded on my truck. He had a cherry picker and I asked if we could use that, since I have a bad back I cant be lifting 300 pounds, I'm not even supposed to lift 40. He pulled that clapped-out piece of **** over there and it was all ****** up. The metal bars that hold the mast to the base were both broke, and he had cheap ratchet straps holding it all together. Needless to say when we tried to lift with it, one of the straps broke, the axle fell and almost mashed the guy's foot, and finally he had to call one of his buddies to come help. It was a Harbor Freight cherry picker. If I were you I would shop around, I really hate Harbor Freight stuff, it's all made in China with the cheapest materials they can get their hands on.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
1,000 pounds might not be enough if you pull engine/trans at once. When I went to pick up my D60 we like to never got it loaded on my truck. He had a cherry picker and I asked if we could use that, since I have a bad back I cant be lifting 300 pounds, I'm not even supposed to lift 40. He pulled that clapped-out piece of **** over there and it was all ****** up. The metal bars that hold the mast to the base were both broke, and he had cheap ratchet straps holding it all together. Needless to say when we tried to lift with it, one of the straps broke, the axle fell and almost mashed the guy's foot, and finally he had to call one of his buddies to come help. It was a Harbor Freight cherry picker. If I were you I would shop around, I really hate Harbor Freight stuff, it's all made in China with the cheapest materials they can get their hands on.

Even on a 350tbi w/700r4? What should the max weight be for one when using for small or block engines?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's to damn much Dave. Look for a used one near you. I think it was BAC or GC just bought one in like new condition for $100 and its the 2000lb unit. A bud of mine just came over and borrowed mine again. He was going to use his brothers new one, but when he got there and seen it, he decided to come pick mine up since he was pulling engine and trans as 1 unit and didn't think his bro's 1000lb unit would work after he extended the boom out since he's working on a truck.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:word: Look on Craigslist. People sell those things all the time to free up space in their garage. You'll get a deal that way :)

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Is there any brand names to stay away from? Will 2,000LB do any big block and transmission?

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
:word: Look on Craigslist. People sell those things all the time to free up space in their garage. You'll get a deal that way :)

There aint nothing craigslist for that in VA.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You're gonna end up with a China made one anyway Dave. Just don't get the foldable 1 ton unit. Its pretty rickety. The foldable ones are rickety anyway. At every joint they are loose for ease of disassembly. The 2ton foldable is not to bad, but I still prefer the non foldable although they do take up alot of space. I keep mine in the back yard with the ram all the way down so it doesn't rust. Not like you are concerned about the paint or finish on an engine hoist and they take up to much room in the garage. Mine is over 20 years old now and I just recently replaced the jack that was probably my fault it quit working when I let the hoist fall out of the back of the truck on a 30mph curve and it pulled the ram out of the jack. Mine is similar to this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-capacity-shop-crane-7620.html

But, do check CL. If you pay more than $100 for a good working used one, you paid to much. Hoists don't get used alot, and they get in peoples way, so be patient and I bet for $100, you can have a good used one within 2 weeks or so if you watch CL.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
My engine stand is rated at 1200# so 1000# seems low to me for a cherry picker. Summit has 2-ton pickers for $20 more than the HF piece, but freight charges to my door is about $100. If you have any tool shops around your town I would check locally first. If you cant get one for less than $375 or so I would consider getting one shipped.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That one I listed from HF is a 2 ton rated. The 1 ton rated is the same exact hoist. Difference between the 2 is, the 1 ton rated unit has a 3 ton ram jack, and the 2 ton rated unit has an 8 ton ram jack. Only difference between the 2. Comparing them side by side, they are made of the same thickness and length of steel, same wheels and all. The jack is the only differance.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
You're gonna end up with a China made one anyway Dave. Just don't get the foldable 1 ton unit. Its pretty rickety. The foldable ones are rickety anyway. At every joint they are loose for ease of disassembly. The 2ton foldable is not to bad, but I still prefer the non foldable although they do take up alot of space. I keep mine in the back yard with the ram all the way down so it doesn't rust. Not like you are concerned about the paint or finish on an engine hoist and they take up to much room in the garage. Mine is over 20 years old now and I just recently replaced the jack that was probably my fault it quit working when I let the hoist fall out of the back of the truck on a 30mph curve and it pulled the ram out of the jack. Mine is similar to this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-capacity-shop-crane-7620.html

But, do check CL. If you pay more than $100 for a good working used one, you paid to much. Hoists don't get used alot, and they get in peoples way, so be patient and I bet for $100, you can have a good used one within 2 weeks or so if you watch CL.

That one is $181.96 including 3-7 day shipping to my house. Do I need to buy or get anything else to lift a engine out?

I did buy used engine stand for $40 thats a 750LB deluxe by MVP Pro Lift.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
If you are just pulling a small block I don't see what the problem is. :think:

Build an A-frame in the yard and put a cheap chain hoist on it.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
What does it do exactly besides tilts and levels engines?

Most engine bays require some sort of tiny angle adjustments to extract the engine, nearly impossible without one of these. Your other option is to remove the whole front clip, but imo it's not worth the hassle when you can use one of these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS