Buying engine crane/hoist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
they need to be, to keep it stabil.

my duralast one is about 5 ft. long.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
This thing is heavy even when carrying it piece by piece. The metal on it is little more than 1/4in thick.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
This thing is heavy even when carrying it piece by piece. The metal on it is little more than 1/4in thick.

Glad ya finally got it! :cheers: Post some pics of it lifting something an unGodly height off the ground! :cool:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Dont forget to score some stickers to put all over it too!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
WTF ??? You of all damn people Dave !!!! Where are the pics??? Why do we even have to ask???? I wouldn't paint it. Its a damn engine hoist. Mine is about 20 years old and I've never painted it. Its fallen out of the back of truck, its been backed over, I have LITTERALLY hung a car from it and it tipped over with the car attatched while trying to pull a rearend. Its scratched and bruised, so what the fugg !!!! Only **** have pretty engine hoists. I think !!! :laughing1:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
WTF ??? You of all damn people Dave !!!! Where are the pics??? Why do we even have to ask???? I wouldn't paint it. Its a damn engine hoist. Mine is about 20 years old and I've never painted it. Its fallen out of the back of truck, its been backed over, I have LITTERALLY hung a car from it and it tipped over with the car attatched while trying to pull a rearend. Its scratched and bruised, so what the fugg !!!! Only **** have pretty engine hoists. I think !!! :laughing1:

I thought about painting it cause of the surface rust. I gotta get some jack oil today. I went to raise it up and it went up a it bit. Then the guy speaks after I get there instead of telling in emails that the leaks oil and pointed at the oil on the base of the jack.

Last edited:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
here's a picture of it when not in use and apart for storage.

You must be registered for see images attach

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Post up a better pic of the long ram jack with a model # if there's a label.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Post up a better pic of the long ram jack with a model # if there's a label.

All the labels are but there's stamped numbers on the parts but I think those are part numbers. This is a bluebird hoist.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
This is a bluebird hoist.

...but probably not Bluebird hydraulics. The hoist maker usually doesn't mfr the ram as well. My Carolina came with a Torin ram. Is there a number stamped on the ram that's a "K" or "S" followed by 5 digits?

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
...but probably not Bluebird hydraulics. The hoist maker usually doesn't mfr the ram as well. My Carolina came with a Torin ram. Is there a number stamped on the ram that's a "K" or "S" followed by 5 digits?

Frame and jack says bluebird.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
The leaking oil might be a problem if it bothers you enough to try fixing it. Mine was doing the same thing, leaking oil and slowly lowering the boom. There were no numbers stamped on the jack but the label had a model number to work with.

A google search told me it was a Torin jack so I called and told them what I needed. Turns out they carry rebuild kits for their 8T rams but not the 3T. I decided to see if I could source the parts locally so I took it apart.

Not much to it. Only three rubber parts, two o-rings and a wedge-shaped piece on the piston. I knew the wedge bit would have to be reused but figured I could get the other two. Wrong. The larger o-ring has a flat inner edge which nobody had and the smaller o-ring is a metric size, nobody had that either.

I tried the ghetto fix by flipping the o-rings over and reassembling it. It sort of worked, it stopped leaking oil, but started lifting the ram erratically. It was obvious there was air in the system and I tried bleeding it out, but after 15 minutes of pumping/bleeding with no improvement it was apparent one of the worn parts was pumping air into the system. Game over.

I had a 20% HF coupon in my wallet so I went and got a whole new jack. There was only a few dollars difference between their regularly priced 8T manual and the 8T w/air assist which was on sale. I got the air/hydraulic model and some jack oil for around $75.00.

I rattle-canned over the orange so it matches the hoist. I'm going to replace the 4-foot rubber hose with a longer neoprene piece so I can guide the engine better and lift at the same time. I'm not one of those fortunate people that has friends that will help pull an engine. That's how you find out who your friends are, tell 'em your moving next weekend or pulling an engine then watch them scatter.

I found a pdf file with a parts list that might match your Blubird, but finding someone that actually carries the rebuild kits might be a challenge. The phone number listed for Bluebird is still active but answered by a recording that says "Thank you for calling Husqvarna..." I dunno what that's about.

http://weborder.bluebirdintl.com/order_static/doc/RIPL/RIPL2006/RIPL2006-8277R01.pdf

Last edited:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Here's pics of the jack. There's numbers stamped on it. G0698, 8343, and 4351 on diagram sticker.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
The 4351 indicates it's a 3 ton. The complete repair kit is part # 4352 if you can find it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS