BBC or SBC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And a squeeze bottle is a whole bunch cheaper and much easier to install. If a button isn't power on demand, I don't know what is.

bigchevytruckdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500,K10
Engine Size
The 409 is at the rear wheels, the motor is out of a newer GTO, pumped up (new chip custom burned, trick flow heads, custom ground cam), and I was talking 500 RWHP so figure I'll need 550-575FWHP. Again though take into consideration he is shifting a 6 speed manual (not great for quarter). I am totally not afraid to go with a bottle though just wanna keep it cheap as possible.

Trying to teach the young man a lesson you see he has this car and he spent 9000 on the motor and trans alone before any mods. He then stuck it in a smog required car, that had a 4 cylinder, and is now just a sitting duck for the cops to impound it. I tried explaining to him that he could have done an old Chevelle, Camaro, El Camino, Nova, or even P/U for less money, had it smog exempt, and just as bad if not badder.

With his current configuration he is running mid to high 10s so thats the bar. Very inconsistent though I think he went 10.4 one time and the rest have been around 10.7.

The more I think about it the more I am thinking BBC probably 454 since they are somewhat abundant and parts are easier to come by.

bigchevytruckdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500,K10
Engine Size
You're right, I assumed leisure meant day-to-day use. You're not going to match that SX on power to weight ratio, but you might give him a run for his money with an auto and being able to hook up better. What thoughts do you have for a rear end and tire size?

As for tire and rear end size, I eventually want to use a CORP 14 FF DRW with disc brake conversion (for weight loss) and get the right offset of "super single" wheel to fit inside the fender well and tub the bed for 18ish inch wide drag radial.

Then figure out what its gonna take to adapt my control arms in front to a C20 spindle/ hub assembly so I have 8 lug all the way around.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
A 2WD truck pushing a BBC may have trouble hooking up off the line, pushing that heavy engine, and even at 1/2 track might be hard to keep it in the groove. May take a lot of trial and error getting the right amount of weight over the rear wheels for it to launch decent, and even then I think he'll still burn ya. I would go with a much lighter 400+hp 383 with as many aluminum parts as you can get on it, and at least a 150 shot of nitrous. Gut the body as much as you can, but remember to cage the cab. Rear end gears and tire selection may be the two most important choices you make once you have everything else done. Oh, and on race day, pray you have a good tail wind going!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The 409 is at the rear wheels, the motor is out of a newer GTO, pumped up (new chip custom burned, trick flow heads, custom ground cam), and I was talking 500 RWHP so figure I'll need 550-575FWHP. Again though take into consideration he is shifting a 6 speed manual (not great for quarter). I am totally not afraid to go with a bottle though just wanna keep it cheap as possible.

Trying to teach the young man a lesson you see he has this car and he spent 9000 on the motor and trans alone before any mods. He then stuck it in a smog required car, that had a 4 cylinder, and is now just a sitting duck for the cops to impound it. I tried explaining to him that he could have done an old Chevelle, Camaro, El Camino, Nova, or even P/U for less money, had it smog exempt, and just as bad if not badder.

With his current configuration he is running mid to high 10s so thats the bar. Very inconsistent though I think he went 10.4 one time and the rest have been around 10.7.

The more I think about it the more I am thinking BBC probably 454 since they are somewhat abundant and parts are easier to come by.

Hell yeah !!! Teach that punkster a little sumthin !!! In the late 80's when in Cali, I drove a 64 GMC for that exact reason. NO SMOG !!! I only beat a few of cars, but I was tearing up all the trucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obullard74