BBC or SBC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigchevytruckdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500,K10
Engine Size
So while I am on hiatus from my squares I will have an opportunity to collect up parts/money for my squares. I will be sending money to my uncle (my machinist) for parts for my 73 2x was wondering what thoughts you all had on whether I should be working on a BBC or SBC. Looking to get approximately 500 HP and be able to at least run and drive on pump gas although I do intend to run race fuel on race day. My original thoughts were 383 stroker. Any input appreciated. It will be used for street (not DD but leisure) and beating my bro in laws 240 with LS1 in a quarter.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The old addage applies, no substitution for cubic inch. But, if all you want is 500hp, and willing to put alot of work into a small block, you can get there. Less work on a BB to get there, but also keep in mind, 500hp in a small block will move you faster than 500hp in a BB. Weight being the factor. But, you'll get alot more torque to push that 500hp too out of the BB, so really, its how deep are your pockets and what you prefer. That my .02. Sorry, that isn't a direct answer, but just things for you to consider to decide what YOU want.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
The old addage applies, no substitution for cubic inch. But, if all you want is 500hp, and willing to put alot of work into a small block, you can get there. Less work on a BB to get there, but also keep in mind, 500hp in a small block will move you faster than 500hp in a BB. Weight being the factor. But, you'll get alot more torque to push that 500hp too out of the BB, so really, its how deep are your pockets and what you prefer. That my .02. Sorry, that isn't a direct answer, but just things for you to consider to decide what YOU want.

You butchered the old adage.... "no replacement or displacement".

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You butchered the old adage.... "no replacement for displacement".

Fixed that for you, and yes, I've heard it both ways. The No replacement.... is used in NASCAR and I think it was Richard Petty who used that phrase as a quote, and one I used, is from NHRA.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
big block if you can find it. I just like em.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Pump gas, daily driver, race day, and 500 hp. That's a big to-do list.

Imo, setting an arbitrary number for a horsepower rating isn't a good idea. Sure, you can build an engine that makes that number, but there's a good chance you'll end up with something that is a crap daily driver and only hits your magic number at six grand with a lousy torque curve along the way.

If I were trying to achieve all those goals I would break it down to percentages. If this is a 90% driver and 10% track truck, build it that way. Obviously forced induction is an easy way to meet your goals, but you didn't mention budget and that puts you in a different class on race day. Same with nitrous. A bullet-proof 383 would be fun around town and then a boost from the bottle on track day would give you some numbers to brag about.

You would be better served by building an engine that does the most of what it's going to be used for best. If it happens to make 500 hp that's a bonus, but what's wrong with a truck that makes *only* 425 hp, but is infinitely more fun to drive on a day to day basis?

bigchevytruckdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500,K10
Engine Size
@ sky surfer I believe you misunderstood the OP it will be for leisure use and to beat my bro in laws 240SX with an LS1 not DD. Thats why I am figuring I need 500 HP because he is sitting at 409 on dyno and weighs quite a bit less and a six speed (lacks consistency and lost time shifting).

I believe with 500HP an auto and proper gears I should be able to beat him. Really trying to prove a point while building something I really like. See he has like 15K wrapped up in a car he could not be able to drive on the street if he is caught with that motor and I have been telling him for years that if he would've picked something smog exempt it could've been driven legally, just as quick, and I am out to prove that. I may make my way to the track from time to time but mainly leisure is what I am going for. Thats why I need it to run decent on pump gas.

I dont wanna have to run 8 dollar a gallon gas when I decide to run to the store in my square. As far as budget I will spend what it takes but keep in mind I will be getting all parts at wholesale cost and machine work for free. May run nitrous for that extra little boost if necessary. If I can hit 500 without it and still dont beat him I should be able to edge him out with the nitrous. So to put it into percentages I would say 10% track is generous, the rest will be the ability to cruise to the store, or eventually run it to the local car show etc... The truck is currently driven fewer then 100 miles a week and will be so forever. Just a toy.

As far as availability of motor choices I have lots of choices to be cost effective. I can get any late model block (350, 400, 454, etc..) within a reasonable price range from either the junk yard or have my uncle (my machinist) keep an eye out for a naked block.

Last edited:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
@ sky surfer I believe you misunderstood the OP it will be for leisure use

You're right, I assumed leisure meant day-to-day use. You're not going to match that SX on power to weight ratio, but you might give him a run for his money with an auto and being able to hook up better. What thoughts do you have for a rear end and tire size?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hold on a minute here BCT??? This 409hp you speak of off the dyno, is that rear wheel hp or flywheel hp? If that's rear wheel hp, you're gonna need more than 500hp at the flywheel, cuz by the time you get thru the trans, driveline, rear end blah blah blah, you're gonna lose some hp. So you will need to know where his hp is coming from.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
turbo ls1?

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
500HP and no emissions requirements would have me voting for a BBC, 396 punched out to 402, built up like the LS6 Chevelle motors would give you at least 450 FWHP, if not more. Squeezing that extra 50HP should be easy enough.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Its pretty hard to find those 396 blocks now days. 454's can be had with a little looking around. I say build the bottom end strong no matter what. If push comes to shove and you don't beat him with what you build, you don't have to tell him, but a little fogger unit will put you over the edge to take him if you fall short on your build. And if a little fogger don't work, then go with a BIG one !!! :happy175:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Is 500hp going to be enough to beat a 400+ hp 240sx considering the vast weight difference? I'm thinking more like 600hp to overcome that :shrug: have you considered a built sbc with a 200 shot of NOS?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Is 500hp going to be enough to beat a 400+ hp 240sx considering the vast weight difference? I'm thinking more like 600hp to overcome that :shrug: have you considered a built sbc with a 200 shot of NOS?

This is why I asked where is that hp rating on the dyno from. IF its 409 to the rear wheels, he needs more than 500hp. Not only for proper comparisons, for weight, need to conside aerodynamics and weight transfer too. Also why I suggested build it strong and if need more, to beat him, add a giggly juice unit. Cheap hp in a bottle.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads