BBC build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

76chevyc20454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Alright, it's time to plan my big block build. It's a stock 454 out of my 76 c20. My goals are to build it to make 400-500 hp. I'm not sure of right now of I am going to bore it over yet, as I don't no how the cylinder walls look. I would like to keep the stock bottom end if all possible. Could a good set of heads intake cam and carb accomplish 500 hp with stock bottom end? This is my first build, still have a lot to learn. What would you guys recommend as a good combo, and let's say I accomplished these numbers, will the good ole th400 hold up to that? I've heard they can hold up to 800 by some people but wounder if they were talking out there rear. I'm assuming I would at least have to get a new torque converter and trans cooler. I'm not really wanting to go over 5g on the motor but not sure if that will be enough lol . Looked at some superchargers, but those are pretty pricey, so I dicided to stay naturally aspirated. What have some of the you guys done with your bbc? Oh and it's going to be a weekend cruiser and something to haul something hear and there.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I used to have a bbc built to around your desired levels. About 9:1 compression, small cam, oval port heads, basically stock bottom end with a small blower. Finding a used blower in good shape is the key in my example. It was very street friendly, but it would consume fuel faster than I could put it in to the tank. Naturally aspirated would need better heads, bigger cam and a higher stall for the transmission.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If budget is tight, a mild cam and a set of 781 heads with the big valves and a cleanup makes an awesome package for a street cruiser, it'll have parts breaking torque right off idle, and won't have to stop at every gas station either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512