Suburban dually build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

496bb

Reaction score
First Name
CL
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R20
Engine Size
So, I know there are older Burb dually builds out there, but don't find much recent info on the build process. I know there were fenders available back in the day, which are no longer - but that's really not my first focus. I have an 87 3/4 2wd Burb, 454, and I'm contemplating converting it to a dually. The purpose would be better towing for a custom build crawler hauler type trailer - maybe 10-12K max. Anyone have links or insight into doing this? I know the C&C rears are more narrow, so if I found a dually truck rolling frame, could I harvest the front suspension and rear end and make for a relatively simple swap over? I'm not sure on frame differences between 3/4 Burb and 1 ton, but as I said, not looking to go 15K pulling. What about rear end width for other makes? Are the rears pretty standard in width? Lots of Dodge's out there. How much advantage does the front suspension swap hold? Other than wheel bolt pattern, would a 3/4 front end brake upgrade kit accomplish as much or better?

I have a good idea about some of these questions, but I figure someone out there has done this before and has some good insight!

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
First my thoughts...I'll start with I think dually suburbans are cool. However, adding a dually rear only helps handle the existing load ratings and shouldn't be used to increase capacity. The suburban frame, even 3/4t isnt designed to handle the same capacities as a truck. The C30 dually those years only had towing capacity of 10-13k max. My '90 is rated for 13k. If you exceed the factory ratings and get in an accident, you'll likely be at fault unless you have the vehicle recertified.

Back to the build...
Since you have a 3/4t. The front suspension should essentially be the same other than the springs. You should just be able to swap the springs and spindles/ brakes.

For the rear, you'll need to swap the springs, add the swaybar, and as you know, find the correct width housing. I don't recall which axle is the same perch width. I don't think you want the c&c as it moves the wheels too inward.

Measure yours and I can measure mine and compare and you'll know if the c30 Dana will work. The 14bolt is popular with the semi wheels as it allows for some other variations

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The axle width will be determined by whether or not you want to use dually fenders to complete the look. To run the C&C rear for a "stealth dually" look, you must use C30 spring perches for tire clearance. And probably modify the wheel tubs, which leaves no clearance for a 3rd seat. If using the dually type fenders, you can use a full width dually Dana 70 axle. You will need to relocate the spring perches and shock mounts on the axle.

*This is all assuming normal type dually wheels. Big custom wheels or semi wheels will complicate things more.

bwagner130

Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 suburban
Engine Size
How’s the build been going? I just picked up an 83 dually suburban

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads