Axle swap for gear ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Good Job there on the clean up. :waytogo: Certainly a set of axles worth all the effort.

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
This is the weekend! Hubs are done. Rotors to be turned and assembly to begin....

JH

Sent from my iPad

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Strange looking setup...new rims being married to 35x12.5R15 BFG AT's

Axles with new aluminum covers and assembly started.

Drums married to hubs...new bearings/seals/races

Axle tubes were full of dirt. Cleaned out. Spindles were stuck on. Spindle bearings rusted solid and impossible to remove...getting outside help for that removal/replacement process.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nice !!! Certainly a worthy upgrade. It'll be a totally different truck when done.

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size

Axle dropped.

New axle in place.

Front in place.

Final product....can't drive it yet though...rubs BADLY in front (only a 2" lift on now). Sigh, 4" lift coming tomorrow.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Final product....can't drive it yet though...rubs BADLY in front (only a 2" lift on now). Sigh, 4" lift coming tomorrow.
Sweet, cant wait for pictures with the 4". Im having a hard time finding a truck on 4" lift with 35's. I need a picture to show me what my truck will set like.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Looking good...

but ditch those cinder blocks! Obviously they worked for you- but can crumble in an instant. A friend of mine used to work for the fire department and had stories of body recoveries from failed jacks and broken cinder blocks.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Looking good...

but ditch those cinder blocks!

Not only YES, but FUGG YESS !!! Do NOT use cinder blocks for jackstands. NEVER. I personally knew a guy who died. 2 wheels up on the curd, 2 wheels on cinder blocks. 1 block broke under the left front wheel and killed him almost instantly. Thankfully he went unconcious instantly, died just as the medics got there, and pissed and **** his pants right there.

2 weeks ago in MWC, OK an old guy's garage door was left open. Neighbors knew this guy never did that. About 9:30pm they went over to close his garage door for him and found him dead under his car with broke cinder blocks.

TRUE STORIES. I am sure if you went to News9.com, you can still find the MWC, OK story. It's still pretty fresh.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Looking good...

but ditch those cinder blocks! Obviously they worked for you- but can crumble in an instant. A friend of mine used to work for the fire department and had stories of body recoveries from failed jacks and broken cinder blocks.

Fill the cinderblock full of concrete, then put a peice of 2x6 or 2x8 over the top between the stand and the block.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Fill the cinderblock full of concrete, then put a peice of 2x6 or 2x8 over the top between the stand and the block.

Sure, you COULD do that. But for the risk??? And the cost of some some 4x4's or 4x6's that you can find anywhere for FREE. Concrete CAN crack and break out too. Even a cinder block on the stonger edge just isn't worth your life IMO.

Maybe it's just me.:shrug: I wont fuggin risk it noway, nohow and maybe that's because I've been close to a guy who died from cinder blocks and curbs. Curbs I'm good with, but really lumber for FREE or Jackstands is best.

tanz45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you do use them, have to atleast use them in the proper orientation.

Holes top and bottom.

Personally, i bought the HR 12 ton stands and use some 8x8's and stack like lincoln logs.

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
Ok, other than too many cinder block orientation comments (blocks were changed shortly after taking pic due to realizing they were placed incorrectly)...the job is done.

Steering creaked constantly and was hard to control when I hit any bump.....removed driver tire, drive shaft and housing...new upper & lower ball joints...problem solved.

Leaking fluid from front differential....pinion seal bad. Replaced that today too.

Tightened steering box gearing....drives like a different truck!

4" rough country had to be added to clear tires after this pic was taken....toooooo much rubbing otherwise!

JH

Sent from my iPad

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ok, other than too many cinder block orientation comments (blocks were changed shortly after taking pic due to realizing they were placed incorrectly)...the job is done.

Steering creaked constantly and was hard to control when I hit any bump.....removed driver tire, drive shaft and housing...new upper & lower ball joints...problem solved.

Leaking fluid from front differential....pinion seal bad. Replaced that today too.

Tightened steering box gearing....drives like a different truck!

4" rough country had to be added to clear tires after this pic was taken....toooooo much rubbing otherwise!

JH

Sent from my iPad

So where are the new pics with the 4in lift? huh? Where they at??? Git'em Up !!! :adminpower:

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
With 4" RC lift, but from the ride im experiencing...im thinkin i chose the wrong lift company....very rough/bouncy...my wife now hates riding in my truck cause its so bad....no clue what to do about that....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 103

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm