Axle swap for gear ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Yeah, I don't think I'd do that. That sounds like one of those issues similar to installing a glass pack backwards. You're going to get a different affect, but doesn't mean the performance is going to be better.

All a backwards glasspack is is a straight thrue tube that looks like there is a muffler under the car. And since theres no louvers to catch any sound, its louder backwards then forwards.

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
Well OK....I am taking the majority advice and ditching the new RC 4" springs up front (60 day return policy). I am switching them out for a new set of Tuff Country EZ Ride 4" springs...sure hope it helps!

Yes, at some point I will probably ditch the new RC hydro shocks for Bilsteins too.....

Hopefully that is the road to the best possible ride for my truck!

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Out of curiosity did you try disconnecting or removing the sway bar and going for a drive? I only have a 3" lift and I felt a major improvement on mine with the way the roads were around here. (I have the Tuff Country HD front springs and love the way it rides).

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
All a backwards glasspack is is a straight thrue tube that looks like there is a muffler under the car. And since theres no louvers to catch any sound, its louder backwards then forwards.

I'll disagree. A backward glassback is much more than a straight pipe. In fact, it hurts the hell out of your performance just to make that unique noise and it does sound way different than just loud especially on deceleration. It has a buzz sound to it. It used to be very common on the lowrider Chebbys in So Cali in the 70's.

Well OK....I am taking the majority advice and ditching the new RC 4" springs up front (60 day return policy). I am switching them out for a new set of Tuff Country EZ Ride 4" springs...sure hope it helps!

Yes, at some point I will probably ditch the new RC hydro shocks for Bilsteins too.....

Hopefully that is the road to the best possible ride for my truck!

That sounds like a good idea on the spring swap. Chances are the shocks will be OK though. There's not alot of shock manufactuers and they trade names alot. I've heard what you're saying about the RC Springs several times.

I'm just curious how Rancho 4in Springs will be compared to RC and TC springs. I've got a set that I took off of an 87 Burb. I sure hope they don't beat me up like I hear RC's do.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Alright maybe dumb question but what is upside down with front and rear shocks on a squarebody??? With my bilsteins thy said install em with the bilstein label so you can read it right side up. I have my shocks with the tube end up front and rear. I've seen em both ways, some tube end up and some tube end down???

Oh and I cut off my dust boots,,,someone told me they trap dirt on the inside and its easier to clean the shock off with no boot,,,,wtf??

Shock body should be down, with the rod or boot up. Dont feel bad I cut the boots off mine too, to keep from them trapping mud on the seal.

Chaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 tbi/th400/np241c
Thanks Crazy 4 Offroad, I've been wanting to get an answer for that for a while, nobody I talk to really knows jack sh** around here, im gonna go flip mine around,,,

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
Just a follow up I owe on this post.

The new Tuff Country EZ Ride springs are amazing and ride very nice for the trucks we have! So much more gooder :) than Rough Country! However, the 4" TC is more like 3" cause my 35's rubbed allot more than the RC's, so I dropped the front shackle 1" and life is good! I also used the TC EZ Ride shocks and they work really well too (kept my factory quads in the front). I am quite happy with my ride.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
:rofl:More gooder is more better! Glad you like them.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just a follow up I owe on this post.

The new Tuff Country EZ Ride springs are amazing and ride very nice for the trucks we have! So much more gooder :) than Rough Country! However, the 4" TC is more like 3" cause my 35's rubbed allot more than the RC's, so I dropped the front shackle 1" and life is good! I also used the TC EZ Ride shocks and they work really well too (kept my factory quads in the front). I am quite happy with my ride.

The Tuff Country does seem to be more gooder for those looking for comfy. The Rough Country seem to be more gooder for those who want very aggressive. Sounds like you made the right choice for your wants. :waytogo:

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
The Tuff Country does seem to be more gooder for those looking for comfy. The Rough Country seem to be more gooder for those who want very aggressive. Sounds like you made the right choice for your wants. :waytogo:

Tuff Country also makes HD front springs.... that is what I'm running. Even those are better riding than the Rough Country's I had on my other truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising