Anyone Ever heard of Electrolysis ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have seen this done, very effective rust removal, especially in places a wire brush or sand blaster cant reach, like the chamber the cam resides in. Pure tungsten TIG rods work best, wont corrode or decay at all. And it's a very good thing you did this outside. This process produces large amounts of hydrogen gas, one spark and your whole house would have went kablooey. There's a method of separating the (-) and (+) so that you can capture the hydrogen produced. One contact produces oxygen, and the other hydrogen. A plastic drum would have made it easier to separate the charge. Most of the times I've seen it done people just use a big piece of rebar or other chunk of heavy steel that will stick up out of the water, so their wire isnt submerged.
Yep, figured it was best outside. The Tig sounds good though. I have also heard that there is a guy who uses like a truck dock that you would normally back a truck into to unload, he done whole cars before. Frame and body. How true, I dunno, it was the machinsit that didn't beleive I had the same block that told me about it.

So just to clarify, this process will remove paint as well as rust?

It will clean it all down to bare metal.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
That could be a big business. Maybe some sort of conspiracy since a lot of products would be obsolete. The part I hate most about painting is sanding, sure everyone feels that way. that would be sweet to pull my truck out of a loading dock in bare steel and just got to town with paint.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
That could be a big business. Maybe some sort of conspiracy since a lot of products would be obsolete. The part I hate most about painting is sanding, sure everyone feels that way. that would be sweet to pull my truck out of a loading dock in bare steel and just got to town with paint.

That's the part the I hate worse than any other part of my project was getting the old paint off my truck so that I could "start fresh" with body work and preparing it for it's new color. It was long, tedious and just generally very time comsuming and not much fun. Generated a lot of dust, though :D If I could have soaked the whole thing in something and it come out in bare metal I would have done it in a heartbeat!! :)

Hip 2 be square

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a company here that does this sort of thing.

http://www.redi-strip.com/

They do industrial painting, but the couple of times I've been there they've always had at least one stripped car body in the tub being electrolytically stripped to bare metal.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

I want a say, if I am going to be a mad scientist and cook stuff for a livivng in a 55 gallon poly drum, I'm thinking a meth lab might be more profitiable. :mf_pcwhack::shakehead:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There is a company here that does this sort of thing.

http://www.redi-strip.com/

They do industrial painting, but the couple of times I've been there they've always had at least one stripped car body in the tub being electrolytically stripped to bare metal.

I'm not sure I mentioned it or not, I was told by my machinist there is a guy here that does whole car bodies too. I'd love to go see that process. The condition of the car when it goes in, and what it looks like when it comes out. You know some of the trucxk framss I have seen on these forums would be perfect candidates for that too.

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I want a say, if I am going to be a mad scientist and cook stuff for a livivng in a 55 gallon poly drum, I'm thinking a meth lab might be more profitiable. :mf_pcwhack::shakehead:

:mexsmoke:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Imagine building a big plywood box out of sheets of plywood, and lumber. 16x8 feet and 4 feet tall. Throw a big ass tarp in to hold water and you could strip an entire frame in one piece. You could probably build it for about a grand easily, damn, if I just had space I would start collecting supplies.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Just wait til the environmentalist tree huggers get word of this idea!!! That can't be good for the ground if your big electrolysis pool leaked everywhere!! :D

*tree hugger smiley needed here*

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Imagine building a big plywood box out of sheets of plywood, and lumber. 16x8 feet and 4 feet tall. Throw a big ass tarp in to hold water and you could strip an entire frame in one piece. You could probably build it for about a grand easily, damn, if I just had space I would start collecting supplies.
Hey, I was kidding about the meth lab dude. Don't be blowing your damn self up.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
HA, how toxic is the water after you use it?

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
damn thats pretty cool

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
damn thats pretty cool
Actually you get a good recipe, good connection and the right amperage, its pretty hot. !!! :roflbow: It gets to cookin and looking like Witches Brew.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
HA, how toxic is the water after you use it?

I don't know that is toxic. After it cooled off a bit, it just looked like dirty water, so I dumped it in my driveway to run down the gutter. It didn't stain, put off any smoke or steam or anything like that. After all, its just water with a few tablespoons of backing soda, then whatever got cleaned off the block. How toxic can that be? I understand when its cooking, it could be putting off fumes, but I'd say its harmless after the electric is turned off. Maybe next time, I'll have a glass of it, drink it and see if I glow in the dark, or it make a glow in the dark piss or turd.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size