Anyone Ever heard of Electrolysis ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I've heard of this process but never have done it due to my A.D.D. tendencies. The process seems to take quite a while and I fear I'd lose interest very quickly :D

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've heard of this process but never have done it due to my A.D.D. tendencies. The process seems to take quite a while and I fear I'd lose interest very quickly :D
Actually its quite fascinating. Especially when its cooking, foaming and steaming. All your neighbors seem to be staring as if you are cooking meth in your driveway, then when they sneak over and look in the drum, they think you are making witches brew and wonder what the hell kind of religion are you practicing. :happy175:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Well, that alone may make the effort worth while!!! :) They already think I'm obnoxious with all the projects I have going on and the noise that it tends to make on a regular basis!! :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well, that alone may make the effort worth while!!! :) They already think I'm obnoxious with all the projects I have going on and the noise that it tends to make on a regular basis!! :)

ON the bright side, this is a quiet project. You can set it up and go to bed. The only reason I did this one outside, was because of the larger scale of the project, and in the event it would be putting on some bad vapors, I didn't want it in my closed up garage overnight. Most people are doing this process in a 5 gallon bucket with some small rusty brackets or parts of that nature.

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That's awesome...It really did make a huge difference. What's even better is that you tackled it yourself at home------------------:favorites13:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's awesome...It really did make a huge difference. What's even better is that you tackled it yourself at home------------------:favorites13:
Yep, that I did. And the machinist who told me the block was junk ate his words, after he told me it was a differant block. But he had stamped his invoice # on the block so that pretty much proved it was the same block, Then I showed him the pics, then he believed me and offered me a rusted up 350 Chev 4 bolt for FREE to de rust as long as long as he got the machine work on the deal when I got ready to build it. I passed on the deal cuz it was missing 2 main caps and that means line bore which is more expensive than you can find another core for.

BTW, Now my neighbors refer to me as the Mad Scientist !!!

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Hmm....Electroloysis you say? Heard of it in class, never thought of the practical applications lol. Have to remember this one for when I get started.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You may have heard it in class. If you have ever seen copper tubing turn green? Usually because someone has put a ground strap or clamp around the copper tubing and it turns it green. That in itself is a form of electrolysis and usually what people think of when they hear of it. Not rust removal. But do keep in mind, this process will more than clean rust. It'll clean everything off including the paint. The process will melt aluminum, so do not use aluminum as an electrode or clean aluminum parts.
Could you imagine dipping your Eddy Carb before bed, and wake up to no more carb??? SOB, someone broke in last night !!! Why did they have to be a smart ass and leave this piece of linkage, they may as well have taken it too !!!

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
You may have heard it in class. If you have ever seen copper tubing turn green? Usually because someone has put a ground strap or clamp around the copper tubing and it turns it green. That in itself is a form of electrolysis and usually what people think of when they hear of it. Not rust removal. But do keep in mind, this process will more than clean rust. It'll clean everything off including the paint. The process will melt aluminum, so do not use aluminum as an electrode or clean aluminum parts.
Could you imagine dipping your Eddy Carb before bed, and wake up to no more carb??? SOB, someone broke in last night !!! Why did they have to be a smart ass and leave this piece of linkage, they may as well have taken it too !!!

LMAO :rofl:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I might try scaling the project up a little but and use a pool, I could just push my whole damn truck into the pool and let her soak a while!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
:lol::lol::lol:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I have seen this done, very effective rust removal, especially in places a wire brush or sand blaster cant reach, like the chamber the cam resides in. Pure tungsten TIG rods work best, wont corrode or decay at all. And it's a very good thing you did this outside. This process produces large amounts of hydrogen gas, one spark and your whole house would have went kablooey. There's a method of separating the (-) and (+) so that you can capture the hydrogen produced. One contact produces oxygen, and the other hydrogen. A plastic drum would have made it easier to separate the charge. Most of the times I've seen it done people just use a big piece of rebar or other chunk of heavy steel that will stick up out of the water, so their wire isnt submerged.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
So just to clarify, this process will remove paint as well as rust?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Yes, it may take longer depending on how well the paint adhered, but yes it will take everything off down to the bare metal.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Man, Im in the market for an above ground pool. Imagine not even taking apart your truck, just strip it all in once peice and going to town with the paint gun on the undercarriage. I guess it would probably destroy everything electronic though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm