92 K case 700R4 tear down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
Ya I think my fil ordered it from that guy. But I do have a good tc I got from a buddie so I'll put the cl transmission in tomorrow and Tuesday being that I have Tuesday Wednesdays off from the rail road

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So you're going to patch it up for now with a used Trans and TC? That'll work. That way you can take your time on your build and be sure to do it right. The biggest tip I give anyone on their first build. Be very patient with the lip seals and getting the pistons in the drums. Tiny snap rings can get on your nerves, but it's hard to hurt them. The lip seals will try your patience even harder and they are much more delicate and easy to cut or tear one if you get to bent out of shape and start using extreme force. A little force can help, but to much and you're fugg up the seal.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
have one of those pocket clip screw drivers that I ground on,made it flat most all the way up the shank,ground it thin then honed it to be smooth,slightly rounded one edge and I use that for them lip seals.It works on most of them.
I used to have a tool that looked like a small diameter pipe,about 2& a 1/2 or so inches long.It had a wire loop out the end of it about 3/4ths or so of an inch,made by Snap On,they do`nt cost much and they work real well for them lip seals too.
I do`ntknow where that ever went to,other wise I`d take a pic. of it to show You what it looked like.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
have one of those pocket clip screw drivers that I ground on,made it flat most all the way up the shank,ground it thin then honed it to be smooth,slightly rounded one edge and I use that for them lip seals.It works on most of them.
I used to have a tool that looked like a small diameter pipe,about 2& a 1/2 or so inches long.It had a wire loop out the end of it about 3/4ths or so of an inch,made by Snap On,they do`nt cost much and they work real well for them lip seals too.
I do`ntknow where that ever went to,other wise I`d take a pic. of it to show You what it looked like.

What you're talking about is a lip seal too. I've used them for my first 2 transmissions ever and then to hell with that. You can actually make your own out of piano wire or guitar string.
attachment.php

I found a tool at a paint store I like so much better. I've bought 2 of them, and still have them today and built many many many transmissions with them.
attachment.php

Attachments

• lipsealtool.jpg
    lipsealtool.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 154
  • liptool 004.jpg
    liptool 004.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 162

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've often wanted to get a set of these and try them too. $14 on ebay with FREE shipping. I also know a guy who used feeler gauges for his lipseal tools.

You must be registered for see images attach

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What you're talking about is a lip seal too. I've used them for my first 2 transmissions ever and then to hell with that. You can actually make your own out of piano wire or guitar string.
attachment.php

I found a tool at a paint store I like so much better. I've bought 2 of them, and still have them today and built many many many transmissions with them.
attachment.php
Yup,that first one with the wire`s the one.
That paint store too is like what I made that pockewt clip screw driver into.

I've often wanted to get a set of these and try them too. $14 on ebay with FREE shipping. I also know a guy who used feeler gauges for his lipseal tools.

I TRIED A FEELER GUAGE ONCE BUT IT SEEMED TO SHARP AND SEEMED TO WANT TO CUT THE SEAL,so I give up on that.
Danged caps lock,or maby it is My big finners.:jester:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That hobby shop tool I use, you have to be careful too, get to aggressive, you will cut lip seals. The wire just seems to bend way to easy and at times isn't very effective. And it seems they're only good for 1 maybe 2 transmissions and then you need a new one. Although, that was way early on when I was using that type and I hadn't yet developed the patience and finess of lip seals, so I might be OK with a wire tool now. :shrug:

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Drum pretty scorched there. 2-4 band is ouch.. I think valve body is having a problem.

There was a guy on Ebay that was selling rebuilt valve bodies with all the fixes done for $85 with exchange a while back, rather than trying to buy the reamers and all that, you might wanna look into that, with that 2-4 hanging up like that, hate to have you put it all together with fresh clutches and have this happen again.

Are you upgrading the pressure regulator, and accumulators? I went with pinless accumulator pistons on my 4l60e (pretty same to 700r4) valve body becaus every single one wobbled on the pin that I pulled.

Hate to have you do all the work replacing the clutches and not correct the reason for the clutch failure.

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
Today's shipment that came in the mail

Anyone want a jug

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That hobby shop tool I use, you have to be careful too, get to aggressive, you will cut lip seals. The wire just seems to bend way to easy and at times isn't very effective. And it seems they're only good for 1 maybe 2 transmissions and then you need a new one. Although, that was way early on when I was using that type and I hadn't yet developed the patience and finess of lip seals, so I might be OK with a wire tool now. :shrug:
Yeh,on them wire tools,it seemed after about the third or fourth transmission that they just would`nt hold shape,or,maby the broke,been a loooong time ago.LOL

Anyone want a jug

Nice book,if I ever have the need to rebuild another transmission I will be buying a book just on that topic.

I think that jug looks like it should bolt right up on one of Mine Harleys.:hahano:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Anyone want a jug

That jug must be for a Cat or a Cummins Heavy Duty.

I've got that same book. I had been looking for it forever. It's been lost for months. Tonight, unloading a file cabinet off the truck at my dads, guess what fell out of the bottom of the cabinet? That same book. It has been put in a drawer that was over loaded and fell out of the drawer and into the base of the file cabinet. I new the damn thing was in there the whole time. Makes sense now and I'm glad to have it back.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I made my own wire tool for the lip seal out of wire feed welding wire.. Got some old scrap metal brake lines, and looped the wire in it, and smashed the tubing down on it. Works slick!

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
Ya that jug is out of a v12 locomotive piston is 12 in diameter and the turbo weighs like 2000-2500 pounds and produces like 180-200psi of boost man I love that job

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I made my own wire tool for the lip seal out of wire feed welding wire.. Got some old scrap metal brake lines, and looped the wire in it, and smashed the tubing down on it. Works slick!

Jep. That's how it's done. You can also trans cooling line. Piano Wire and Guitar String work too. A big size paperclip can be used too and tends to hold up pretty good. That kinda gives me an idea. How about smash a paper clip into a piece of break line?? :shrug:

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Wow, on that cylinder, talk about paint bucket pistons!

Paper clip might go pretty well too, be a bit stiffer than my welding wire. I liked how it flexed, but didn't break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris