92 K case 700R4 tear down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
U think I have a china made sun shell so it could save me a little money being that I have to replace the drum the 2-4 band rides on?

I might be an older Beast Even. I'm not sure of all the different markings. I've not heard of any problems with China Sunshells like I've heard with China 5 Pinion Planets. It certainly isn't the OEM Weak GM unit, so worse case sneraio, it is a China hardened upgrade unit. Again, I've not heard of any issues. So yeah, you're probably OK to run that Sunshell. It does look much more beefy than OE for certain. You have another 700r4 core don't you? Maybe you can pull the drum from it and see what it looks like.

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
The other trans I'm gonna try and install so I have some kind of transportation till the original is rebuilt but when I finish with the original and its in the truck and moving then I'll pull it apart and rebuild it and sale it to help build my savings account back up

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The other trans I'm gonna try and install so I have some kind of transportation till the original is rebuilt but when I finish with the original and its in the truck and moving then I'll pull it apart and rebuild it and sale it to help build my savings account back up

Ahhh, OK. So what you're saying is, this current build is going to be an ongoing project as time and funds permit. A piece of advice, especially for a new builder, or even a builder on a new model can be even worse since he can get mixed in different models in his head, BUT !!!, when you do them this way, you tend to lose parts, forget exactly how things go back together etc. Luckily, you took pics and hopefully shitloads of them. This is one reason why I don't even start my builds. I wait til I have EVERYTHING I need, with exception of the unforeseen like that drum for example. But, sooner it's back together the better.

And I might be worse than others, cuz as it sits right now, I've got 4 different transmissions tore down, on 2 differnt side by side building tables. It's a good possibility parts could end up in different transmissions doing that. And normally it's no biggie, but what about when 1 part is just a tad thinner than another, and the selective thrust washer has been calculated for the build. Now you might have to get aother selective washer or your end play might be off. Always go back with the original parts that came out when you can. And if you do swap, be prepared to make sure they are compatible with all the other designs of the hard parts in the build. Example, swapping rear sun gears in Th400's might mean you also need to swap the parking pawl. If you didn't grab the parking pawl from the donor trans, good luck finding the right one.

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
My parts should be here by end of the week as I already ordered all but the burnt drum and I also have the books you suggested on there way as a late birthday gift from my girlfriend so I'll be OK and I ordered the kits you told me to get because it it was way more extensive parts for one and two I would rather replace everything while its apart just for piece of mind

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
And I took a **** load of pics and set the parts down exactly how I took it apart just in case all the way down to bolts in there holes and snap rings in there drums and on the shafts

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, you should be OK. I wish I had a 700r4 apart to know if I have a spare drum. I'd send it. Have you priced any used ones yet? If it's to crazy expensive I might have an 84 trans I'll pulling apart cuz I think it's got the BEAST in it, and I want to use it for my build. I'd have to make sure there were not changes in the that drum too. But I might have a good drum in that 84 Trans. I just hadn't planned on pulling it apart anytime soon, espeically moving and having to box up trans PARTS and marking them all. I"d rather just keep all the trans together.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That didn't take long. My book clearly shows the 87-92 is different and NO, I WILL NOT seperate my good 87-92 cores. I do believe this is what you need. Flip yours over and compare the pics. Pretty sure that's the one. But not positiive, so check it out.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/700R4-Rever...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cca5fef98&vxp=mtr

This guy is a bit cheaper, but his used. The other guy claims his is refurbed which is probably just ground down and smoothed out like turning a brake drum. This would mean your Servo pin has to travel a bit further for a tight clamp with the band. The used is better really, IF it's a very good used and isn't wavy where the old band was riding the drum. And if you're going with a wide band for more clamping power, then by all means go with a new drum cuz it will wear the band fast on the surface where it never had a band before, and by the time it caught up with the center of the band, the outer portion of the wide band might be burnt up and spread to the center. This is is wny things like a wider band are not always better and why it's important to know what parts do what and how they function. But look this guy over and maybe even ask him a few questions to see if you get comfy with him, before you buy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/700R4-REVER...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0aec13ec&vxp=mtr

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
OK thanks hotrod I'll call my trans guy as well and see if he has any as well thanks for finding all them pages it helps me out alot

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
Lots and lots of parts on eBay I need to get to work so I can order the rest of my parts

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
Well my rebuild kit was never paid for my bank rejected the order because they thought it was a fraudulentorder so my ffather in law is ordering me the kit using his credit card and asked me what kit I wanted so I showed him all the parts I had ordered and will be getting them the end of this week so pics to come when I get the parts

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size